In what decade was it clearly apparent that Watchtower was a high control religion?

by UnshackleTheChains 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

At the congregational level, I definitely felt a change in the early 80s. At the time I (like so many) didn't know what was going on in Brooklyn with Ray Franz and the great apostate purges, but none the less you saw something on the ground during that time.

Previously, there was a lot more freedom for elders to shape or make public talks as they liked. For those old enough to remember, many even made their own on-stage dramas which often involved many in the congregation. Other elders genuinely tried to help the spiritually fatherless youths and others formed Watchtower pre-study groups and the like, to encourage the congregation's kids to have a share and be apart of what was going on.

On the social side, elders arranged congregational picnics, particularly to compensate the younger ones loosing out on public or religious festivities. Or take a couple of them under their wing and let then share in their own family's entertainment.

Yes it was all a bit amateurish, but there was a real spirit caring and community.

But the 80s finished all that completely. Elder arranged congregational outings were immediately banned, even smaller parties organized by the youths themselves was criticized from the platform as being dangerous. Instead of it being a case of us vs. the world, it became a inward focused religion, always on the watch for other witnesses who may be 'bad association'.

And we ended up with in the end with a cold, script read, cookie cutter faith that only made the world look more fun ... thus begun the exodus of the young.

no-zombie

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

But what decade did it become abundantly clear that the society was indeed high control religion or even labeled a cult?

I know that when I first heard of the JWs in the early 80's, I was told they were a cult by some friends, which seemed a common view.

From the perspective of what I have learned and experienced, your question could be stated differently. Cult is not necessarily a label, but it's an effect, something in which some organizations and groups evolve into. I can't speak for CT Russell, but I have the feeling that from the get go, he loved controlling other people's lives for his own gain. Hence, the cultic effect might have been present since the beginning.

A good indicator of how (not sure about when) it evolved into what it became/has become could be looking at the history (if it was ever documented) of their implementations of rules that started aiming at controlling people's lives and independent thinking. In fact, that very concept of them attacking independent thinking can be a good indicator. If anyone can research and see when that nonsense popped up in their teachings and literature, that might give you an idea.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I'd say it was when Rutherford began demanding the members go door to door with his tracts and records. Early to mid 1920s, I think. I'd push the date back to the demands for WWI "neutrality" (draft resistance), if he had not gone to jail over it himself. That is one of the times he showed some integrity.

• steve2
    steve2

Just as each new generation is inclined to conclude it Is living in the very worst of times, each generation of disillusioned JWs believes it has witnessed the most autocratic period in the organization’s history. Fat chance

Perhaps the earliest signs that this was to become a high control autocratic organization occurred when Rutherford succeeded Russell. There was a huge falling away of Bible Students (as JWs we’re then known) who rejected Rutherford’s heavy handed attempts to control the brothers and sisters at the “company” level (as congregations were then known). And the lunacy of the 1920s hadn’t even fully materialised yet (e.g., the sloganeering and false predictions about “millions now living will never die” for starters).

All that happened after that miserably misleading decade were continuations and fine tuning of seizing control of brothers and sisters lives and minds until decades later it perfected that control, reframing it as a “loving” provision of Jehovah, the clean God. The Pharisees would be proud.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@LisaRose William Schnell became a Witness back in the 1920s and woke up in the 1950s, so that supports your point. Even back then, folks were realizing all is not right with Watchtower.

His book is 30 Years a Watchtower Slave. I've never read it, but I'd say it was one of the earlier books on awakening and exiting the cult.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains
    I would say when they started disfellowshipping people, which I believe was the 1950's. I joined in 1969, they were a cult then, imo. Prior to that they may have had wacky beliefs, but people wouldn't necessarily loose their family if they chose to leave or simply choose not to buy into everything

Lisa rose

Yes, this was a big step towards tighter control when the disfellowshipping policy first came into effect....though I believe it was similiar to a degree with the Catholic excommunication policy whereby an individual might be frowned upon, but not shunned.

Perhaps the earliest signs that this was to become a high control autocratic organization occurred when Rutherford succeeded Russell. There was a huge falling away of Bible Students (as JWs we’re then known) who rejected Rutherford’s heavy handed attempts to control the brothers and sisters at the “company” level (as congregations were then known). And the lunacy of the 1920s hadn’t even fully materialised yet (e.g., the sloganeering and false predictions about “millions now living will never die” for starters).
    All that happened after that miserably misleading decade were continuations and fine tuning of seizing control of brothers and sisters lives and minds until decades later it perfected that control, reframing it as a “loving” provision of Jehovah, the clean God. The Pharisees would be proud

Steve2

I think in a nut shell you put it really well. Things started to really change during the Rutherford era.

Also

No-zombie - makes a good point about the reviewed disfellowshipping policy of the early 80's. This I believe is the point when Watchtower firmly placed themselves in the spotlight as a high control religion, especially after the purge at Bethel that involved Ray Franz.

Thanks to everyone's input.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

When this organization stopped letting people freely walk out the door, they then became a full blown cult.

• steve2
    steve2

Magwitch - well put! "Full blown cult"

• Londo111
    Londo111

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Londo111

I'm intrigued. Why 1952?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest