I Wrote a Young Adult Novel About Being a Witness...Looking for beta-readers

by pr0ner 3 Replies latest jw friends

• pr0ner
    pr0ner

Hey everyone, I posted this over on reddit as well, but recently I wrote a young adult novel about the pressures of growing up as a Wtiness. I am looking for some volunteers who would be interested in reading it and giving me feedback.

The novel is a little over 75,000 words and would be around 200- 250 pages in book form if I were to guess roughly. It's loosely based on my experiences during my teen years and takes place over a Summer. The book covers a lot of the usual JW beliefs etc.. but I didn't want to make a study on theology opting to make it a bit more accessible. It's also not too heavy with traumatic things. Largely it's just about being a rebellious teenager and doing the usual teen schemes while under the pressure of your parents and the JWs. It covers young romance in the hall, friends, music and things most teens go through.

The book takes place in the southern US and is set in the 90's. Feel free to shoot me a DM. Because I'm using google docs I'd require an email address to share it.

• vienne
    vienne

there are several critique forums. most are free.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Well I'm available for 'editing'. So I'm fairly good at grammar, etc. I could have a look at your draft for that kind of thing?

Not trained or owt😉

Are you aiming for the Micheal Morpurgo type age group?

• pr0ner
    pr0ner

Thanks @Diogenesister, I would say it's aimed more towards the 16 and up crowd. I tried to write it in a style adults would enjoy too, especially ones not too familiar with the religion. As for the editing, I've made a pass at it and will likely get a professional editor, right now I'm more just looking for some folks to read it and let me know if they felt it was a good story or not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit