Cruise Tips Anyone?....

by Sentinel 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Oh, Brummie, you sweetie. You always say the nicest things.

Believe me, twenty years ago, I had not even been on an airplane, or out of this country. Did I ever think I'd take trips to the Bahamas? Not in your wildest dreams. And cruises? Well, they were only for the very well to do. I didn't even consider that.

Now look at me. My entire life has changed. I'm able to go on a cruise. Who would have thought? I hope someday that you will be able to go as well. Never say never!

• happyout
    happyout

My family went on a cruise last October, Princess Cruise Line. They did something new, they actually automatically added the tips to the credit card you were required to give at the beginning of the trip. If you objected or wanted to change the amount, you had to go see the purser. I believe they would have already told you if this was the case, but just so you know. That was my 4th cruise, and the only time it had ever happened.

Be sure to do shore excursions that are recommended by the cruise lines, sometimes the local vendors really rip off visitors. Also, lose about 10 pounds before you go, 'cause if the food is like it has always been on my cruises, it's going to be fabulous!! Try to not get sucked into the midnight buffets, they are a nightmare to your waistline.

I think cruising is the best way to travel, I loved all of mine. Have a great time!!

Happyout

• Mary
    Mary

Make sure there's enough lifeboats for everyone...........

(Have a great time!!)

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I went to Alaska on Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Seas 2 years ago. We had a marvelous time. They will issue you a credit card for all on-board payments. When we first got on board they were offering people lovely alcoholic drinks to welcome them. We thought they were free. They weren't but we sure didn't get caught again.

If you are non-drinkers you should not have a problem on board. All non-alcholoc drinks AT MEAL TIMES are free. If you go to the buffet dining room all drinks will be free. But you will pay for the drinks in your room and for any you get at the pool bar. Basically if a meal is involved don't expect to pay. Their lemonade is great so enjoy. It is free all the time in the Buffet dining room. I'm a cola drinker so had my fill of that at meal times.

As for the water - really no need to buy any at the ports. The RC has its own desalinization plant on board. The water is fresh and tastes great. We didn't get sick on it once. You will not be drinking "island" water.

Our RC cruise was fabulous. We woke every morning at 5 and went up on deck to watch us pull into a new pport. Then we went for breakfast - awesome food. If you don't like it - don't feel back. Your waiter will trip over himself to get you something else. If you like eggs make sure you ask for them well done they tend to make them a tad runny (unless you like them that way).

Everything else we ate was fantastic.

If you take a tour always arrange it through the ship. If the tour is late they will wait for the tour to get back. If you are on your own and they ship leaves you are out of luck and will have to find your own way to the next port.

During our week on-board RC (that we were on) had only one midnight buffet. There is a fast food diner for midnight snacks or room service $$$. We stuck to eating only at mealtimes - did a lot of walking around the ship and didn't put on any weight - and believe me we ate at mealtimes - a lot.

Enjoy the trip - it is well worth it. BTW when we got off the ship our credit card only had charges for 2 portraits that we had taken. They take pictures everywhere and you can go to the gallery later and find yours. If you want them ($25US each) then buy them If not drop them off in the bin provided.

Make sure you take at least one dressy outfit for the special nights and a suit or jacket for men. Unless you don't want to dress up - you can still go to the buffet on special nights where casual is the rule

If I think of anything else I will be back

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

You know, I got invited to one of them in a JW chat room when I was still in.........I could of been an Apostate !!!

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

I've been on 6 cruises. Carnival treats you like just a number and the food is crap. I've been on the Carnival Festival, Carnival Celebrity, and Carnival Inspiritation...and they all sucked. I've heard Royal Caribbean is an awesome cruiseline. Hope you have a great vacation!

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel
    I've been on 6 cruises. Carnival treats you like just a number and the food is crap. I've been on the Carnival Festival, Carnival Celebrity, and Carnival Inspiritation...and they all sucked. I've heard Royal Caribbean is an awesome cruiseline. Hope you have a great vacation!

SpunkyChick, If I liked the two [sucky] Carnival cruises, I can't wait to try a RC!! We were thinking of Alaska or Hawaii next year. I think it would be a great way to get from island to island in Hawaii without airfare or booking a complicated hotel itinerary. Gamaliel

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

MattNoel: I can only imagine taking a cruise with a ship full of active borgites. Yikes!! Remember now, we do have to watch out who we associate with.

LadyLee: Thanks for all the information. Everything I'm learning will be very helpful. Please, if you do think of anything else, be sure to post it here.

SpunkyChick: Your relply was interesting. Actually, I am really beginning to learn that there is a big difference in the cruise lines, and also the ship on which you travel. Some are newer, and some are older. Some are bigger than others. Some are full older adults, and some for the party crowd, and those with children. In my research, I looked at all the "comments", both good and bad for many shiplines and ships. Some spoke of how stained, dirty and smelly their cabins were, and how rude some of the people were. There were a few that said they'd never cruise again. Some complained about noisey loud speakers and too many people--everywhere, with long lines for everything. After all my research I settled on Royal Caribbean. I also chose the exact ship to travel on. It just so happened that this specific cruise on the ship I chose, was available within the time span of our vacation, which we'd put in for months ago! Back then, we didn't even imagine we'd be going on a cruise. If this ship had not been available, we probably would not have taken a cruise at this time.

Mary: Lifeboats??? I'm not worried. There are more than enough, and they put you through a drill shortly after everyone is on board.

Gamaliel: One thing I've noticed is that everyone's experience is different, and I suppose that has lots to do with what a person "expects", and the things people like to do. You and SpunkyChick have been on enough cruises to have lots of first hand experience. Frankly, I'm glad we will be on RC. I will tell you all about it when we return.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Most of the people on our cruise were 40's and up but there was a good percentage of 20 and 30's too. The shows were great. We had taken the late dinner. We wish we had gone with the early one. We wound up missing a few of the shows because after getting up before dawn we were both asleep by 10. If you are late up and late to bed then the later dinner time and late shows shouldn't be a problem

We had about the cheapest cabin you could get (we weren't going to be spending much time there so saw no reason to pay big bucks for it. But it was spotless. Staff were wonderful and friendly. Our cabin staff and waiters knew up by name immediately and used our names whenever they saw us. I was amazed. After the first night they knew what we wanted to drink and almost had it at our table before we got there. If you wanted anything special they remembered. In the cabin we asked one time for extra towels. There were extra towels every time after that. No need to ask again and again. These people really earned their tip. We gave them cash but we also bought them imported chocolate. Seems treats like that are really appreciated. They don't often get off the ship and there are no candy/junk food dispensers on board (hint if you have a sweet tooth for something like chips or chocolate - bring it because you won't find it on board)

I don't think we ever waited for more than five minutes for food - for any meal. There was always plenty.

As for the loud speakers I can't even recall that except for a couple of special announcements (lifeboat drill and an announcement that we had arrived somewhere - oh and once to tell us there were orca off the port bow.

We were planning our second cruise before the first was finished (still to be taken)

• jaded
    jaded

How exciting! You will have a blast! Hubby and I will be going on our fourth cruise in Sept. We will also be going to Cozumel and Key West. Also Grand Cayman and Disney Cruise Line's private island, Castaway Cay. We have only cruised with Disney. We love the atmosphere. We were treated like royalty. Relax and have fun. I bet you will be booking another one when you get home. That is the only way to get over "cruise withdrawal".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit