Actions and consequences of Lot’s wife vs. David

by Yesu Kristo Bwana Wangu 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Yesu Kristo Bwana Wangu
    Yesu Kristo Bwana Wangu

Actions and consequences of Lot’s wife vs. Actions and consequences of David

Genesis 19 talks about how Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed. Lot and his wife and daughters fled. But because Lot’s wife looked back, she died.

Genesis 19:26
    Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.

In my view, Lot’s wife was under no law. This event happened more than 400 years prior to Moses, when the Law was introduced.

The following is being said about Abraham, who was the uncle of Lot, so Lot and Abraham lived in around the same era.

Galatians 3:15-18
    Brothers and sisters, let me take an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or add to a human covenant that has been duly established, so it is in this case.The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. Scripture does not say “and to seeds,” meaning many people, but “and to your seed,”[ meaning one person, who is Christ. What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise. For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on the promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.

First, this brings confusion when reading the following verse:

Genesis 26:5: Because Abraham obeyed me and kept my requirements, my commands, my decrees and my laws.

Some argue that these laws refer to the Noahic covenant

The Noahic covenant [Genesis 8-9] applies to the whole of humankind. In this covenant, God:

1. God blessed Noah and his sons, and told them to populate the earth [9:1]
    2. Placed all plants and animals under human command [9:2-3]
    3. Forbade the eating meat with the blood still in it [9:4]
    4. Murder was forbidden [9:5]
    5. Humankind were commanded to shed the blood of those who shed blood [9:6]
    6. The Lord promised that he would never again destroy all life on earth by a flood [9:11]
    7. The Lord created the rainbow as the sign of this covenant for all ages to come [9:12-17]

Still, nowhere is there a law that forbids looking back when fleeing from a city. Lot’s wife did not do anything forbidden according to these laws.

Others argue that a commandment was given in Genesis 19 itself

Genesis 19:15-17 With the coming of dawn, the angels urged Lot, saying, “Hurry! Take your wife and your two daughters who are here, or you will be swept away when the city is punished.” When he hesitated, the men grasped his hand and the hands of his wife and of his two daughters and led them safely out of the city, for the Lord was merciful to them. As soon as they had brought them out, one of them said, “Flee for your lives! Don’t look back, and don’t stop anywhere in the plain! Flee to the mountains or you will be swept away!”

I have problems with this. It is not likely that Lot and his wife were aware that this was being said by an angel.

In the beginning of the chapter this is being said about the angels:

Genesis 19:1-2 The two angels arrived at Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gateway of the city. When he saw them, he got up to meet them and bowed down with his face to the ground. “My lords,” he said, “please turn aside to your servant’s house. You can wash your feet and spend the night and then go on your way early in the morning.”

The fact that Lot called the angels lords does not imply that he thought they were more than just men. Sara also called Abraham her lord (1 Peter 3:6). Furthermore, Hebrews 13:2 says the following:

Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.

I think this applies to Lot. So, to say that Lot's wife ignored the commandment in this chapter to me is truly a problem. When for instance Jonah received a commandment from God, it was the Word of God that was speaking to him (Jonah 1:1-2), and he was aware of this. For Moses, it was God Himself that spoke directly to Him.

But for Lot and his wife and daughters, it was all but clear that this was a message from God. The angels were just two strangers, that appeared to them as men.

In my opinion, Lot’s wife has been being punished while not having violated any law or commandment from God.

Like Paul says, in Romans 4:15

And where there is no law there is no transgression.

Then David.

2 Samuel 11:2-4: One evening David got up from his bed and walked around on the roofof the palace. From the roof he saw a woman bathing. The woman was very beautiful, and David sent someone to find out about her. The man said, “She is Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam and the wife of Uriah the Hittite.” Then David sent messengers to get her. She came to him, and he slept with her.

He was already under the Law of Moses. He violated this by sleeping with Bathsheba, whose husband was Uriah.

Leviticus 20:10
    "'If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.

Then:

2 Samuel 11:14-15: In the morning David wrote a letter to Joab and sent it with Uriah. In it he wrote, “Put Uriah out in front where the fighting is fiercest. Then withdraw from him so he will be struck down and die.”

Uriah was now basically murdered because of the orders from David.

This violated the commandment that one shall not murder (Exodus 20:13)

What was Gods view on David?

Acts 13:22 After removing Saul, he made David their king. God testified concerning him: 'I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.'

David was a man after God's heart, and was not punished for any of his crimes.

To make a short summary

Lot’s wife
    Under any law?: No
    (Alleged) crime: Looking back
    Consequence: Turned into a pillar of salt, so basically death

David
    Under any law: Yes, under the Law of Moses
    Crime: Adultery and murder
    Consequence: Nothing but blessings from God

How can these two things ever be reconciled with each other?

I still believe in God and in the Bible as the Word of God, but these stories appear disturbing to me.

God seems to act here with double standards. How can this ever be?

Every answer will be appreciated

Thanks

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Your question of course can only be answered by someone who believes

in a God of justice

But primarily by someone who believes that the Bible is more than a

collection of fiction

I suggest that if you start to collect a number of these incongruities

You might want to revisit your position on points one and two

In the meantime, much success in your theological journey

The search for El Shaddai :)

:0)

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

PS May I suggest looking into why Yahweh personally slaughtered

70,000 innocent men after David disobeyed him by taking a census

1 Chronicles 21

• pleaseresearch
    pleaseresearch

To the original poster, great research and very thought provoking question.

Yesu Kristo Bwana Wangu

Tepidpoultry

PS May I suggest looking into why Yahweh personally slaughtered
    70,000 innocent men after David disobeyed him by taking a census
    1 Chronicles 21

Thank you for this suggestion. I was not yet familiar with that story. I have read it now and at first sight this seems quite injust. When for instance Abraham in Genesis 18 pleads for Sodom, God promises him to not destroy the city if only a few righteous people would be found there.

It seems highly unlikely to me, that there were zero righteous persons under this 70.000 people.

It is however necessary to mention, that the 70.000 men were not directly killed by God, but indirectly as a result of a plague. This makes it different from the story of Sodom and Gomorrah and Lot's wife, where God was the direct cause. Still, it is a horrible event of course.

• waton
    waton

Even before David had Bathsheba brought to him, he had already broken the 10 commandments, by [visually] coveting his neighbour's wife,

David is wt's favoured character too, getting away with murder, it is easy, if you have the army to protect you.--so: wt's mistakes are excused too, because the top brass can make no mistakes that have no meaning, after all, God has put them place and not removed them.

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Hi Yesu

Regarding whether these men died from a divine act

As I recall from memory

(I could be making mistakes here)

David was given the choice of three punishments

And he chose the scourge because that way the deaths would

be from Yahweh

His thinking was somehow there might be less of a toll

Again I would encourage you to read over the chapter to get the correct

story

But indeed it was Yahweh (Jehovah ) that killed these men

for the sin of David

These men were innocent

Best Regards

Tepid

Yesu Kristo Bwana Wangu

tepidpoultry

I have read it again, I think you are right indeed. This makes it even more bizarre.

Thanks

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

My opinions:

In my view, Lot’s wife was under no law. This event happened more than 400 years prior to Moses, when the Law was introduced.

True. But it seems that before the Mosaic Law came into effect, anything that God 'commanded' was taken as a 'Law' or Statute...

First, this brings confusion when reading the following verse: Genesis 26:5 Because Abraham obeyed me and kept my requirements, my commands, my decrees and my laws. Some argue that these laws refer to the Noahic covenant

Partly, Yes. It includes the Noahic covenant, like blood prohibition, etc. But the laws mentioned in Gen 26:5 also refers to those particularly given to Abraham as in - command to circumcise all men. They were not in written form as done with the Mosaic Law. The Mosaic Law was an entire legal system in itself. But no such written system existed during the Patriarchal times. So any divine command given prior to the Mosaic times constituted as 'law' to those hearing it and incurred capital punishment for non-adherence.

Still, nowhere is there a law that forbids looking back when fleeing from a city. Lot’s wife did not do anything forbidden according to these laws.

I think, the command given to Lot and his family can be called as 'command' - but not law. Since there did not exist a divine legal system before Mosaic law, God gave commandments and framed decrees as an when needed. But then, its my opinion- Such a command that forbids looking back when fleeing from a city was not needed anytime before the days of Sodom and Gomorrah. The situation in Sodom and Gomorrah prompted God to give such a seemingly unusual command with unusual punishment for non-adherence. If i'm right, God never again gave such a command neither did not punish anyone the way he punished Lots wife.

I have problems with this. It is not likely that Lot and his wife were aware that this was being said by an angel.

Not sure whether they believed they were angels or mere men, but reading Lot's reply in Gen 19:18 seems that he believed what the angels told them, and Lots action in Gen. 19:14 suggests that he took the message of Sodom's destruction seriously. Did Mrs. Lot take it seriously? Doesn't seem so.

The fact that Lot called the angels lords does not imply that he thought they were more than just men. Sara also called Abraham her lord (1 Peter 3:6).

Lot and his family actually saw the angels blinding the men who came to Lots door asking for sexual favors. This must have made them realize they are more than just men. In fact, in Gen 19:14, Lot went to his Son-in-Laws and told them that "LORD is about to destroy the city." This implies that Lot believed that the message those men brought was in fact from God and diligently told these to his sons in law.

In my opinion, Lot’s wife has been being punished while not having violated any law or commandment from God.

The men told them not to look back, but she did. She broke a command (not law), given by God through these men, and paid for it. For me, Lot believed that those men were messengers of God, but as those events tell, Lot's wife was careless in this and did not take them seriously.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

Like Paul says, in Romans 4:15 And where there is no law there is no transgression.

True. But when people overstep God commands, they become transgressors. As stated in 1 Timothy 2: 14, Eve broke God's command (or law) and became a transgressor or sinner. Similarly, when Lots wife broke God's command, she became a sinner or transgressor. And as Galatians 3:19 says, God has used angels to transmit Laws.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit