The JW funeral sales pitch . . .

by BereanThinker7 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BereanThinker7
    BereanThinker7

So recently I attended a JW funeral. I've been awake and faded for a bit now and so I already have realized the strangeness that is a JW funeral/memorial talk because its basically just a sales pitch to those attending that are non JWs using a twist on the Christian resurrection hope and barely speaks about the departed. Here's the thing that I noticed the that got me wondering, the pitch, at least at this talk, is given under the guise that it is what the fallen person wanted to be spoken at the funeral and as such its all about the "secondary" "great crowds" class hope.

So my question is had anybody ever attended the funeral talk for someone who claimed to be in the 144,000???

I would think this would have to completely change the formula of the talk. They cant say that the person wanted to be on paradise earth and then throw the same sales pitch at the audience saying that's what the person wanted the speaker to talk about. They also can't even say that we know we will see them again, and they will be young again, or that they are just sleeping now, because according to JW doctrine all anointed after 1918 are immediately resurrected to heavenly life.

I have now doubt they still try to leverage a persons death as a recruiting tool but I just wonder how they approach it when the person claimed to be in the new covenant and anointed???

• waton
    waton

2 overlapping centenarians would go to 3014, using Fr. Franz's vital statistics, as D. Splane did, would get them to 2075 only. so:

With any super centenarian partaker's funeral, they could pitch that she was an overlapping anointed. now ready to take on combat duty in the ( now ever nearer) Armageddon lineup, probably the cavalry. With anybody younger, but claiming anointing, the same, just without the overlap. [rhime]

Of course, the preaching work would still be a command to gather un-anointed, understood to those then present to be that, like themselves, because the command to make disciples was issued by Jesus before he ascended, or the disciples had flames over their head at Pentecost. (not singed like the Moses' burning bush)

A win win situation for wtBtS INC.! preaching doctrine and including announcement of time for the next rendrez-de-vous for field service.

That is why my funeral, that will happen within the next 30 years, is going to be at home. (never missed the wine under the full spring moon)

I am getting annoyed at the anointed.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Did they actually say the deceased wanted them to say that kind of stuff at the funeral, or did they just want you to make that assumption? Either way it's in horrible taste. A Baptist did that at my great grandmother's funeral and it pissed me off.

• Doubtfulandtorn
    Doubtfulandtorn

I’ve felt the same way in regards to the funerals. It’s more about the hope of resurrection and the paradise hope then about the deceased. That never felt right to me. I honestly thought they should be more personalized. However, now that you brought up and interesting question, I am completely curious as to how that funeral talk would be given. 🤔

• Tenacious
    Tenacious
    " ... its basically just a sales pitch to those attending that are non JWs using a twist on the Christian resurrection hope and barely speaks about the departed."

You're 100% right. It's a sales pitch. The dearly departed will usually get some 5-10 minutes of speech time and the rest is dedicated to the WTS interests and how everyone in the room will die if they don't jump aboard the WTS train.

It's downright pathetic and insulting to the people who are not members and have to sit through that crap.

I've had to sit through a few and out of respect for the departed I don't walk out. I don't sing the demonic song and much less bow my head to pray to satan.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Did they actually say the deceased wanted them to say that kind of stuff at the funeral, or did they just want you to make that assumption? Either way it's in horrible taste. A Baptist did that at my great grandmother's funeral and it pissed me off.

I've attended more than one JW wedding and funeral. Each time I attend, I get pissed too.

TTWSYF

• BereanThinker7
    BereanThinker7

They did actually say she would want the funeral talk to tell people about the resurrection hope, and who knows maybe she actually did, who am I to say?

But still I am curious as to if maybe any old timers on here or people who have had bethel experience have attended a funeral talk for someone claiming to be part of the 144,000?? The talk would have to be different I imagine.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Even as a JW, I was never all that comfortable that JW funerals were always more about the religion than about the person who'd died.

• BereanThinker7
    BereanThinker7

nobody eh???

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Hi Berean Thinker. You are correct in your reasoning.

I have, here in Melbourne Australia about 5 years ago.

Yes, It started out typically reviewing his life briefly and went on to mention that he most likely was smilingly looking down upon us and feeling sad to be parting from his earthly friends remembering the happy times we shared.

(my family knew the guy personally, Nikki Trofimchuk.)

After describing his projected task alongside Jesus, the speaker went on to say how happy he will be to observe the current jw's faithful efforts in declaring Jesus' kingship.

And then the line. 'Now that Nikki has taken his place in heaven with the faithful early christian anointed, what does that mean for us?' And how will the resurrection hope affect him?

And then the usual funeral talk commenced inserting 'our' hope instead of the recently departed anointed one's.

And often mentioning how happy he will be to be an active part of the resurrection as he sees loved friends come back to life on earth.

fwiw.

jtg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit