What are the odds that Armageddon is soooo close?

by Vanderhoven7 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Well judging from past prophetic pronouncements....go figure

"Surely there is not the slightest room for doubt in the mind of a truly consecrated child of God that the Lord Jesus is present and has been since 1874;…" Watchtower 1924 Jan 1 p.5)

"The prophecy of the Bible, fully supported by the physical facts in fulfillment thereof, shows that the second coming of Christ dates from the fall of the year 1914." What is Truth? (1932) p.48

"In view of this strong Bible evidence concerning the Times of the Gentiles, we consider it an established truth that the final end of the kingdoms of this world, and the full establishment of the Kingdom of God, will be accomplished near the end of A.D. 1915. .

"Also, in the year 1918, when God destroys the churches wholesale and the church members by millions, it shall be that any that escape shall come to the works of Pastor Russell to learn the meaning of the downfall of ‘Christianity.’" p.485

"Does God's rest day parallel the time man has been on earth since his creation? Apparently so. In what year, then, would the first 6,000 years of man's existence and also the first 6,000 years of Gods rest day come to an end? The year 1975. It means that within a relatively few years we will witness the fulfilment of the remaining prophecies that have to do with the "time of the end"." Awake! 1966 Oct 8 pp.19-20

"the danger of sudden death is staring you in the face. ... That is exactly the case with the warning that we speak of here, and there are reasons why it can truly be said to be the most urgent warning ever given. ... It is to come within the generation that has already seen two world wars and it is only a few short years ahead of us." Watchtower 1967 Apr 15 pp.243-244

"The immediate future is certain to be filled with climactic events, for this old system is nearing its complete end. Within a few years at most the final parts of Bible prophecy relative to these "last days" will undergo fulfillment." Watchtower 1968 May 1 p.272

"The fact that fifty-four years of the period called the "last days" have already gone by is highly significant. It means that only a few years, at most, remain before the corrupt system of things dominating the earth is destroyed by God." Awake! 1968 Oct 8 p.13

"Today there is a great crowd of people who are confident that a destruction of even greater magnitude is now imminent. The evidence is that Jesus' prophecy will shortly have a major fulfilment, upon this entire system of things. This has been a major factor in influencing many couples to decide not to have children at this time." Awake! 1974 Nov 8 p.11

"If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the "last days" in 1914, Jesus foretold: "This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur."-Matt. 24:34. Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in highschool and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone!" Awake! 1969 May 22 p.15

"And if the wicked system of this world survived until the turn of the century, which is highly improbable in view of world trends and the fulfillment of Bible prophecy, there would still be survivors of the World War I generation." Watchtower 1980 Oct 15 p.31

"Shortly, within our twentieth century, the "battle in the day of Jehovah" will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom." The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah p. 216

"Some of that "generation" could survive until the end of the century. But there are many indications that "the end" is much closer than that!" Watchtower 1984 Mar 1 pp.18-19

"He was laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our 20th century". Watchtower 1989 Jan 1 p.12.

Please add more quotations.

EDIT Why did the WTBTS change the masthead of the Awake Magazine in 1995?

From 1982 - 1995 it stated:

"Most importantly, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new order before the generation that saw the events of 1914 C.E. passes away."

When it became obvious that this was false because that generation HAD all but passed away, it was changed in Nov 1995 to read:

"Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world that is about to replace the present wicked, lawless system of things."

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Jehovah is watching:

I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied…

Am I a God at hand, saith the LORD, and not a God afar off?

Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith theLORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.

I have heard what the prophets said that prophesy lies in my name - Jer. 23
  • a watcher
    a watcher

Armageddon is still a way off. We have to get through the GT first, and that lasts an unknown period of time.

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

There is an unknown period of time that Jesus called the "pains of pregnancy " followed by 7 years of the Antichrist's reign.I think we are already in this first unidentified period

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

That's a good point, a watcher. Armageddon does not just suddenly happen, in the JW version of things. It follows a period of anarchy and persecution that is so extreme that it would end humanity without God's intervention. Maybe the teaching of the Great Tribulation is even more of a problem for the WTS than Armageddon itself. Because if they ever claim that we are in that time, then it is a period of time that has to get worse and end with Armageddon. If things improve or stabilize for a time, then they would be wrong.

In other words, there is a beginning of the end in their worldview, and it should be so extraordinary as to be identifiable. There shouldn't be any hesitation on their part, no "these events might be the start of something." Everyone should be able to recognize that this is something unprecedented and meaningful. Until that happens, it doesn't matter how close the Day of Jehovah is... it hasn't begun.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

WOW! All that research for quotes. Vander, you spend way too much time on a group of religious losers.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Actually DoC, in this case at least, someone else did the research. I'm happy to pass it on to others who might find it useful in ministry to Watchtower Witnesses.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

This would make a great handbill to pass out. Maybe one of those JW stickers people were recently posting on here and Reddit.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Vanderhoven7, thanks. I truly appreciate material like this. Adding to my files. Hopefully can share with my JW relatives in the future.

TonusOH, totally agree. Great post.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

"Shortly, within our twentieth century, the "battle in the day of Jehovah" will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom." The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah p. 216

"Some of that "generation" could survive until the end of the century. But there are many indications that "the end" is much closer than that!" Watchtower 1984 Mar 1 pp.18-19

1Thes.5: 3

Whenever it is that they are saying .".Peace and Security" then sudden destruction is to be instantly upon them

The year the United Nations declared 1986 the year of International peace and Security .

We are still here ? in the year 2022 ,how soon is instant ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit