Surgery/Infection/Pain

by compound complex 11 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Fellow Posters and Friends:

A friend had been making excellent recovery after hospitalization and rehab. Then, some 6 weeks later, while an infection set in, he had to return to hospital. He is in excruciating pain and now on morphine.

I don't wish to give a lot of detail here, but was wondering if you or yours have ever had what appeared to be a good recovery, only to be followed by an unexpected reversal of progress and consequent decline.

THANKS!

CoCo

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

"... was wondering if you or yours have ever had what appeared to be a good recovery, only to be followed by an unexpected reversal of progress and consequent decline."

Yes, this happened to one of my uncles, he was doing fine but then got some kind of staph infection.

An acquaintance also had this happen, appeared to be fine, then suddenly not. Had an instrument left inside her body.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Muddy Waters, for your reply. What you wrote sounds familiar.

Best.

CoCo

• Scully
    Scully
    It happened to a friend of mine last year. A drain had been placed at each later aspect of the surgical incision, and for some reason during the healing process, internally the area around the tubing of the drains healed in the form of a tunnel - completely abnormal, and caused horrific pain. My friend had to have the incisions re-opened and the healed tissue removed. The incision was then packed and was not re-sutured so that it could heal from the inside out (by secondary intention, in medical vernacular). What should have been completely healed within 4-6 weeks took almost 4 months by the time she was able to stop going to the clinic to have the packing removed and the incision redressed.
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

A fellow I knew when I was much younger was a big guy all his life. In time he became an elder, and was made to feel shame because of his larger-than-average size. Might he be "stumbling" some pinhead busybodies by his obvious "gluttony"?

So he went in to the hospital to have one of the several kinds of gastric surgery that are available today.

While in hospital he contracted a MRSA infection (hospitals are the most likely places to contract MRSA) and after a few weeks fighting the flesh-eating infection, he died.

He's much thinner now, yahu akbar!

Remembering Danny S., who was ALWAYS a GOOD GUY and didn't deserve to die because of "teachings of men."

• eva luna
    eva luna

I have seen this too CoCo

Sometimes issues come up while in treatment.

Possibly an old one or a new one from a weakened immune system

Take care of you and your Friend

e

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    I've never heard , but I wish your friend all the best.
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Unfortunately septic shock, MRSA and even things like gangrene are real risks and recovering patients can relapse in very short periods. Myself I have had the unfortunate displeasure of witnessing all of the above mentioned maladies in friends and family. If you live long enough on this planet, the chances will keep increasing that you will see or even experience one or more of these afflictions.

I echo wannaexits sentiments: "...I wish your friend all the best" and I would add that I hope that he can manage a full recovery.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2
    My husband got a staph infection from a medical procedure during cancer treatment. It took 3 hospitalization and 5 months, to find it and 6 weeks of antibiotics to cure the infection. 4 year a later he is doing great.
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, dear friends, for excellent but disturbing information on what can (and often does) go wrong.

Your good thoughts and wishes mean so much. As ad hoc caregiver, I had to call in the troupes (various medical personnel) for immediate emergency assistance.

Will keep you posted. He's about to be moved from our local hospital to the hospital where the original surgery was performed.

Love,

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit