This is What I Would Need in Order to Believe

by cofty 496 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    If not scientific evidence so what kind of evidence do you mean?

Just some sensible, rational observations that would help a reasonable person understand why the world does not coincide with the claims that christians make. I'm not asking for statistics or formal arguments. I've told you that many times already

My rule of thumb is as follows - If you can't explain your argument to your aged grandmother you don't really have anything to say.

All of your answers in the last 21 pages have been pretentious piffle.

There are some subjective observations in your OP

So explain why they are mistaken then.

• cofty
    cofty
    All of your answers in the last 21 pages have been pretentious piffle - Cofty

Sorry that was unnecessarily harsh.

What I mean is you are hiding behind esoteric theology in order to avoid very simple questions.

• cofty
    cofty

Just for clarity here are the nine simple challenges from the OP. Nine ways in which the claims of christianity just seem unlikely.

1 - The brutal competition for survival

2 - Mass extinctions

3 - "Nature red in tooth and claw"

4 - Lack of clear bible prophecy

5 - The complete ordinariness of the bible

6 - The moral failings of scripture

7 - The credulity that is required to believe in miracles

8 - An earth perfectly designed to randomly kill millions of its inhabitants

9 - The confirmation bias that is required to believe in answered prayer

I wonder what else we could add to this list.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    Just some sensible, rational observations

I'm using the most simple and logically sound argument to God that I know.

You must accept the simplicity and logical soundness of the St. Anselm's ontological argument.

Don't you?

that would help a reasonable person

Like a person who believes in the metaphysical Atheism and Scientism (logically flawed as a carpet)?

understand why the world does not coincide with the claims that christians make.

Where's this "why". You haven't shown nothing than Atheism and Scientism.

I'm not asking for statistics or formal arguments.

Wow!

I've told you that many times already

When? All you do is always demand for scientific evidences to anything.

My rule of thumb is as follows -

Rule of thumb is the popular name to the heuristic method. It's the first time you're mentioning a method beyond the scientific method (which is metaphysical because is built upon several axioms).

BTW the heuristic method is metaphysical too. Just saying...

If you can't explain your argument to your aged grandmother you don't really have anything to say.

The St. Anselm's ontological argument is understandable to any grandmother.

BTW almost every grandmother I know is a theist. Because people tend to be more wise in the old age.

• cofty
    cofty

It is clear that you prefer throwing around silly labels than holding a rational conversation John. Pity.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    HiIt is clear that you prefer throwing around silly labels than holding a rational conversation John. Pity.

Labels are definitions and definitions are necessary in a rational conversation.

The labels or definitions in our rational conversation:

# God: as defined in the St. Anselm's ontological argument.

# Axiom: metaphysical statement taken to be true through pure faith.

# John_Mann: Catholic.

# Cofty: Atheist and follower of Scientism.

# Cofty and JM: both accept the scientific method. Both accept the heuristic method.

Do you accept these definitions/labels?

• Perry
    Perry

Cofty,

The credulity that is required to believe in miracles

And a self appearing universe from nothing is distinguishable from a miracle how?

This is another example of the inconsistency of atheism.

The moral failings of scripture
    How could you possibly know what is moral if your morals are based on your own subjectivity? Even if you got a moral "right" you would not be able to know it because everything is constantly evolving, including morals, right?
  • John_Mann
    John_Mann

Nine ways in which the claims of Christianity just seem unlikely:

1 - The brutal competition for survival
    2 - Mass extinctions
    3 - "Nature red in tooth and claw"

Non sequitur statements. These statements doesn't lead to the initial conclusion (Christianity is unlikely).

Christianity says the physical world is ruled by impersonal natural laws.

Christianity says only the immortal soul is directly and metaphysically created by God in His image (Original Justice). The nature of this immortal soul is temporarily broken (Original Sin).

4 - Lack of clear bible prophecy

5 - The complete ordinariness of the bible

6 - The moral failings of scripture

Axiomatic statements. Acceptance its not necessary.

7 - The credulity that is required to believe in miracles

You must stop to talk in a pejorative way about faith because you use faith too (every time when you accept an axiom).

8 - An earth perfectly designed to randomly kill millions of its inhabitants

Non sequitur.

9 - The confirmation bias that is required to believe in answered prayer

Axiomatic statement.

• cofty
    cofty
    How could you possibly know what is moral if your morals are based on your own subjectivity? - Perry

My morals are based on objective facts about reality.

Even if you got a moral "right" you would not be able to know it because everything is constantly evolving, including morals, right?

Wrong. Slavery and infanticide have always been wrong. Objectively wrong. Even when your god was advocating slavery, rape and infanticide it was still objectively wrong. If god existed and if he had inspired the bible these things would not be so.

You would happily murder babies and take sex slaves just as Joshua's army did if god commanded you to do so wouldn't you? Your morality is based on divine fiat.

• cofty
    cofty

John_Mann your arrogant dismissals of my comments are unworthy of a response.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit