-My 9 Part Podcast This JW Life & Something For Tomorrow-

by dubstepped 9 Replies latest jw friends

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

For those that don't know, I recently did a podcast series called This JW Life outlining my life before, during, and after the cult. I made it with outsiders in mind so that anyone could understand what life as one of Jehovah's Witnesses is like and what it does to people. I posted about it as each episode came out, but I know that new people will see this and hope that it might help more people as time goes by, so I will post about it every so often to reach out to those that can find help processing their lives or that want to help outsiders to understand what it was like in one cohesive story.

Tomorrow I will release episode 2 of my new podcast called “shunned”. Episode 1 was my wife's story. I'm so excited because this is my first interview with someone else AND I got to interview someone that is shunned as an ex-Mennonite! So this is another perspective on shunning and I think the ex-JW community will find it fascinating and identify with so much of it. We need to accept these other people that are shunned into our community. Those of us that are shunned have so much in common. The religious/cult ideologies that are behind something so controlling as shunning show forth in the journey that we all take even if some beliefs were different.

So subscribe to ThisJWLife and shunned on iTunes, Google Play, or wherever you get podcasts. Go to thisjwlife.com to comment on episodes or shoot me an email. Go to shunnedpodcast.com and comment on episodes so that the guests that make themselves so open and vulnerable and that show courage to do so can hear your encouragement.

Love others, do no harm, and go be happy!

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Thank you. I've been slowly but surely listening to them.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    I hope that you’ll learn a lot about the human spirit and how it can flourish again after being crushed for so long.

This is beautiful, Dubstepped. Are they on facebook, the podcasts?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Love your work dubstepped!

Thankyou for all the effort you have put into it all!

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    This is beautiful, Dubstepped. Are they on facebook, the podcasts?

No, podcasts are something that you download into an app like iTunes (Apple Podcasts) or Google Play, or other apps that pull from their networks like Podcast Republic or Podbean or something else. You need a podcast app to subscribe to the podcast and then they just show up to be listened to whenever a new one comes out.

Alternatively, you can just go to the website for either podcast and you'll find a link to stream the episodes for each on their respective episodes pages.

I hope I understood what you were going for there. Many people are unfamiliar with podcasts. If you were asking if I had a Facebook fan page or something, that's something I haven't done.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Thank you for all the effort you have put into it all!

You're very welcome! I have a newfound respect for all of the podcasts that I listen to. I had no real clue what was involved in doing all of this. For this episode that I'm releasing tomorrow I spent two hours doing the interview, six hours editing it down to his core story, and then a couple hours today recording the intro and outro that I hope I can use for all future episodes and then putting all of the tracks together into one. Then I uploaded to my media host, wrote a description for the episode, and submitted to everyone like iTunes and Google. I still have to add the episode and all relevant information like resources (books, songs, etc.) to the episodes page, add their official photo, and market it to all of the different exjw sites and groups so that people can find it.

That doesn't even include the time spent coming up with the questionnaire that I send each interviewee prior to the interview so they can prepare, setting up interviews, etc. That's just for a one hour episode, lol. I'm sure I'll get better and faster as time goes by. But I can't imagine what people put into some of these podcasts that are out there. There are people that do a daily podcast, and that blows my mind. Obviously they have advertisers and production crews, but still, that's a lot of work. It's interesting to kind of see behind the scenes by participating like this. I've listened to podcasts for many years.

• Closer to Fine
    Closer to Fine

I'm so glad you're doing your podcasts again! I listened to all of your episodes in your first series and look forward to listening to your new ones as well. I've become a bit addicted to listening to ex jw podcasts and I really missed yours when you finished your first series and the prodigal boys when they stopped theirs. I hope the prodigal boys start theirs up again too. Those guys are hilarious! You had mentioned the mental illness happy hour and I've been listening to those as well. Podcasts are great. Thank you so much for your efforts. I know it must be a tremendous amount of work. I appreciate it very much!

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Oh, I liked the Prodigal Boys too! I wish JW Podcast would be consistent whatsoever and fix their audio. I just couldn't make it through their last one. Critical Thinkers is pretty good when it comes out. That's about it though. From what I understand Prodigal Boys are done podcasting. My wife said that she saw them say that on Twitter. So for right now it's just me doing it monthly, the occasional JW Podcast, and the occasional Critical Thinker. I don't know of any others.

Listen to Snap Judgment #815 and the first story is an amazing story of a polygamist cult that blew my mind. It's just one story, but it was really good.

• cobweb
    cobweb
    The sound was okay for me on the last two JW podcast episodes. I really know what you mean tho, I wish they would invest in a decent microphone. I thought it had been killed off so was nice to see it back. That first episode about John Lloyd was a bit of a shock as he was a previous presenter of the show. Must have been a hard one to do. The last one about the various court actions around the world was interesting and the Australian woman was very knowledgeable.
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped

Yeah, I liked that lady that presented on the second episode. I just couldn't stand having her only in one ear when listening. I do suffer with misophonia, so it can bother me more than most people.

I wasn't a fan of that first episode where they ganged up on Lloyd. I thought it was in poor taste, to be honest. I also felt like many of their attacks on him were the same things they complained about him for doing. It was a pot meet kettle episode for me and I'm not some huge Lloyd fanboy. I was very turned off by jwsurvey when I first came out and found it way too aggressive for me. The guy obviously has some issues, as do all of us, and I just felt that dedicating an episode to elevating those others while putting him down was bad form. I get why they were upset, it just didn't feel like the right way to handle it for me but hey, we're not in a cult anymore and we don't have to agree.

I'm glad that Louise has that show back because she puts out more content than when they try to get everyone together. I like her too, she's fun but still gets serious and gets to the heart of matters.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit