I want to create a few Youtube videos -- need advice

by FatFreek 2005 9 Replies latest members campaign

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Yes, I need advice. I want to create some Youtube videos in order to introduce some of my essays.

I think I need to order a lapel microphone. Should I go wired or wireless? Bluetooth or RF?

My thoughts are to record the video and audio via one of our Samsung tablets because they are so portable. One of them on a tripod for recording and one for script. I do have a Windows 10 desktop but don't see that being much help.

I just downloaded some video editing software, DaVinci Resolve, but it looks very complex. Well reviewed though and free, which is nice. On the plus side, I'm retired and enjoy learning.

How about some tips?

Len Miller

• ElderEtta
    ElderEtta

Perhaps you could get in touch with Kim and Mikey or Paul Grundy or Lloyd Evans.

certainly someone from our group here knows email addresses that could make that happen.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I use this camera for the video, mounted on a tripod:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Widescreen-Calling-Recording-Desktop/dp/B006JH8T3S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1548980013&sr=8-5&keywords=logitech+webcam

I bought mine locally at Best Buy.

I don't particularly like the sound on it so I had bought this usb mic a long time ago and decided to use it and select it as the mic inside the Logitech camera software:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001R76D42/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you go to my youtube channel called shunnedpodcast the audio on my first VIDcast is taken off of the Logitech camera's mic. I thought it sounded rough. If you go the my second VIDcast you'll see the the audio is much better. I used the Samson Go Mic for that one and it is much better audio.

I don't do much editing but Camtasia is the software I eventually went with. I like it as it is simple and I got a super deal on a bundle that included it on a limited time deal site. You might look up Camtasia 9 and see if you can find a deal somewhere. It isn't the current version.

If I want to clean up audio I use the free tool called Audacity. There's a plugin you can get to export to mp3. I actually use Audacity for my podcast editing.

I'm no professional producer but I do a good enough job.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hey Dubstepped,

What a wealth of intelligence you just passed along. I am indebted.

Len Miller

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

You're welcome. Oh, and if you watch my videos and see a mic visible, that's the one I use for podcasting, not the one recommended above. It's not on. It's just that I do everything in one place and have it all set up and hate moving it because I like where it is.

Feel free to ask questions. Again, I'm no producer, I just did a lot of research and tried things and came up with a setup that works for me.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Yes, I noticed that mic and was a bit confused -- but you just cleared that up.

And, by the way, I don't see any problem with your no. 1. Yes, no 2 and 3 are improvements.

But, they're all good. And you're doing some good work. Thanks for sharing.

Len

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I am picky about audio. Probably because I love podcasts, do podcasts, and have the condition called misophonia so sounds jump out at me. Glad to clear things up. Happy to help!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Dubstepped I don’t know if you saw, but I’ve said previously you’re very photogenic and with a good, easy manner and nice voice you could do some great vlogs( your wife also has a nice voice). I know you are shy but honestly you come across as very quietly confident.

Fat freek 2005 best of luck it’s just wonderful how much information is becoming available. I’m sure you have a wealth of jw experience to draw upon. I look forward to seeing your videos!

As a FYI Shanna the incredibly brave woman who appeared on Leah Remini Scientology the aftermath JW special is doing a AMA on exjwreddit this weekend.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Fatfreek I just thought contact “JC and Lady Cee “ at The Critical Thought you tube channel. Lovely couple who will always get back to you, unlike some video stars!

Also “Telltale” who is also a member here and does extremely professional and informative you tube videos.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Thanks Diogenesister! I do enjoy doing my videos and would like to do more but my main focus this year is increasing podcast production because it has greater reach for me. Then again, if I did more videos I'd probably get more reach there. I do have plans to do more videos, I'm just trying to get a production schedule down as I'm doubling podcast production. I didn't think I'd like being in front of the camera but once I get an idea in my head of something that I want to talk about I enjoy it. I try to have fun. Fun overcomes the natural social anxiety I have. It's all part of growing as a person. My wife isn't really into this stuff like I am but she may put herself out there at some point. She walked away and was just kind of done. She does help do all of our Instagram and Twitter posts.

I too look forward to FatFreek putting videos out. The more the merrier. You never know who you may reach. I love all of the emails that I get from people that find me in various ways and that have been impacted by what I do. I know that others get those too. We all do our part. Heck, just posting here helps people at times. You never know.

Glad to read that Shanna is doing an AMA. Those are popular.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit