Spirit directed vs inspired

by Jules Saturn 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

I've always been confused as to what the discrepancy is between the phrases "spirit directed/spirit led" and "inspired".

In the February 2017 Watchtower Study article, paragraph 12 says:

12 The Governing Body is neither inspired nor infallible. Therefore, it can err in doctrinal matters or in organizational direction. In fact, the Watch Tower Publications Index includes the heading “Beliefs Clarified,” which lists adjustments in our Scriptural understanding since 1870. Of course, Jesus did not tell us that his faithful slave would produce perfect spiritual food. So how can we answer Jesus’ question: “Who really is the faithful and discreet slave?” (Matt. 24:45) What evidence is there that the Governing Body is filling that role? Let us consider the same three factors that directed the governing body in the first century.

So right off the bat, it states that the Governing Body is neither inspired nor infallible.

Definition of inspire

a : to influence, move, or guide by divine or supernatural inspiration

In the July 2017 JW Broadcasting, Tony Morris III says "We are proud to be a part of this spirit directed organization."

So they aren't inspired by spirit but are directed by spirit?

What does the article say again in paragraph 12?

"The Governing Body is neither inspired nor infallible. Therefore it can err in doctrinal matters and organizational direction."

But how is it possible to err in doctrinal matters and organizational direction if it is a spirit directed organization?

Is there a point I am missing?

~Jules

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Could you be expecting too much from their simplistic way of reasoning? Trust your own reasoning. You sound a lot more logical than them.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Circular logic, circular reasoning.

True Christians do not follow and support false prophets.

Jesus made it clear how to identify false prophets false spirits., since the WTS has been teaching and proclaiming false teachings, the spirit guiding it is not from god.

The Watchtower Corporation has been involved in nothing but false prophesying since 1874.

They want the power but they dont want to be held responsible for the doctrines they create ie. 1914.

Its like having your cake and eating it too.

• Listener
    Listener

From the Insight Book under "Inspired"

The quality or state of being moved by or produced under the direction of a spirit from a superhuman source. When that source is Jehovah, the result is a pronouncement or writings that are truly the word of God. The apostle Paul stated at 2 Timothy 3:16: “All Scripture is inspired of God.” The phrase “inspired of God” translates the compound Greek word the·oʹpneu·stos, meaning, literally, “God-breathed” or “breathed by God.”
    This is the only occurrence of this Greek term in the Scriptures. Its use here clearly identifies God as the Source and Producer of the Sacred Scriptures, the Bible. Their being “God-breathed” finds some parallel in the expression found in the Hebrew Scriptures at Psalm 33:6: “By the word of Jehovah the heavens themselves were made, and by the spirit [or breath] of his mouth all their army.”

By saying that they are not inspired, by their own definition means that they are not

"The quality or state of being moved by or produced under the direction of a spirit from a superhuman source ... God."

• smiddy
    smiddy

Jules Saturn

The Governing Body members are masters of speaking out of both sides of their mouth with the sole purpose of confusing the rank and file into submitting to their leadership.

They purposely obfuscate their writings to their members so they can flip-flop between answers they give, any who have an inquiring mind and if any continue to question the GB they will be DF.

It`s a wake up call for you JS and any other lurkers reading this thread.

We have all been conned by their deceitful practices.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Assuming that you actually "believe" the bible is from god.

Look back at the "servants" of god, how many times did god give them the WRONG understanding or direction on something?

NEVER - his direction - leanings - inspired prophets - never had to go back and say - UH Sorry I Think God Meant THIS not THAT.

Think of this - on really the most important matter - the ID of the FDS - how could it take 100 years for god to DIRECT them as to who they really are.

I mean come on.

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

I thought about this issue a lot in the beginning. And the conclusion I ultimately came up with is that ... while the Governing Body says that they are spirit directed, in practice they expected everyone to view what they say as spirit inspired.

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

I hate that whenever you try to explain this to someone, they look at you as if you have the issue

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

An inspired utterance is we need more money or volunteers to build an assembly hall. Spirit directed is when they get the dates for the end of the system wrong.

I hate that whenever you try to explain this to someone, they look at you as if you have the issue

Thats what happened to me Jules when I was a young person in that religion. I used to ask everyone how they understood the ransom sacrifice teaching. A man being tortured to death for us always seemed wrong to me. They used to look at me as if I was stupid or mad.

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

What you all are saying reminds me of points in which Lloyd Evans (a.k.a. John Cedar) brought out in his newest/ latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEDTQX7_D5A&t=6970s

Present and past JDubs have been hoodwinked all along by this group.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit