Fawlty Towers (1975) & (1979) - still laugh-out-loud funny after all these years

by LoveUniHateExams 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

So, I went and bought series one and series two on second hand DVD for one pound each.

I first saw series one of Fawlty Towers when I was about 11, then I saw series two a year later.

It's a little dated now, but that doesn't really matter because it's still making people laugh. That's all comedy is.

There is one episode - The Kipper and the Corpse - which I think is a bit rough around the edges, it's not as polished as some of the other episodes. But it still has some great lines in it, e.g.

The two old ladies: You're in a good mood today, Mr Fawlty.

Basil: Yes, well one of the guests has just died.

The first episode of the first series is a bit quieter than others but I think it still does a good job of introducing all the characters.

This comedy has nostalgia for me and brings back quite a few memories. And I was born in 1979, I missed out on watching them live.

As I said, it's a little dated, we know we're watching 70s TV, but it's still very well written and laugh-out-loud funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcliR8kAbzc

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

I think "Basil the Rat" is probably the funniest one, though they are all worth watching.

DVD? Ha! I bought the whole set on VHS tape!

--FFGhost, Old Dinosaur Fogey Class

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

One of the funniest moments from memory.

Basil tries to turn a light on from the corridor by feeling his way along the wall in search of the switch. Polly is in the way and Basil ends up grasping her chest.

Sybil "If you are going to grope someone, at least be in the same room".

• Simon
    Simon

We watched the set a year or two ago, it was really good. Such great characters.

I never realized how big a gap there was between the two series.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Nothing wrong with a bit of Farty Owls.

Those that are trying to culturally engineer us into a weird brand of Communism will try to tear it down.

But then those in the extreme minority are joykillers by trade. The trouble is, the idiots in the media are bullied by it...or are they deliberately part of the problem? The tail wagging the dog.

simon I never realized how big a gap there was between the two series.

To think, series 1 happened at the date for Armageddon, too.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

For the Yanks here, what we call seasons are called series over there, which can be confusing because we use the word series to refer to the entire show, all seasons . . . or all series 😅

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

slidin: . Polly is in the way and Basil ends up grasping her chest.

not Polly--but an Australian guest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mWHlHx9no

i recorded the whole 2 series on a VHS machine

• Simon
    Simon
    Nothing wrong with a bit of Farty Owls

As long as there are no Flowery Twats

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

One of the best comedy series, if not the best comedy series, ever. I think a big part of the reason was that they did not try to produce too many episodes.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Funny this thread came up. Cancel culture has pushed and I can not remember what groups pulled it but the episode where Basil gets hit on the head and starts in about the war to the German guests. I bought the VHS set and then burnt them to DVD. Great series. When ever my wife asks how long I am going to be most times I reply, Nick of paint plenty of time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit