The only man in the room - Kennedy 1962

by slimboyfat 20 Replies latest social current

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

In the current situation, it’s worth listening to this podcast about nuclear near misses. The Cuban missile crisis was only one example, but is worth considering.

In 1962 the United States and Russia went eyeball to eyeball over Russia’s military base in Cuba. The whole world held its breath. At the last minute, before a scheduled US invasion, an offer arrived from Moscow: remove your base from Turkey and we will remove our troops from Cuba. Kennedy called a meeting of all the senior decision makers. Everyone in the room said it was a terrible deal, there was no way the Unites States should accept it. John Kennedy’s own brother, the Secretary of State, opposed the deal. The invasion of Cuba should go ahead. JFK listened to everyone speak in turn and at the end of the meeting he decided to accept the deal. He was the only man in the room in favour of accepting the deal, but he stuck to his decision and avoided a nuclear war.

What even the President didn’t realise at the time was that nuclear missiles were already in Cuba and ready to be used. Local Russian commanders had been given authority to use nuclear weapons if they came under attack. If the United States had invaded as planned it would almost certainly have resulted in nuclear war, and during this period scenarios for retaliation on each side involved complete destruction of both countries, and most likely, the rest of the world. If any other person in the room had been President that day in 1962 it would have been game over for humanity.

Let’s hope we have leaders ready to make the right call today, to accept an unpopular resolution, to be the only man in the room.

https://youtu.be/Y_rH0L9r7wM

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

JFK was a great President imagine Trump handling this!

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Correct! If trump was president, Russia would never have invaded Ukraine!

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    remove your base from Turkey and we will remove our troops from Cuba.

Different chessboard nowadays. Is that the only move now or is it better to have Russia war with Ukraine and maybe takeover Ukraine?

Also, nuke threat is not about weakening US power in Eastern Europe or else but about not interfering militarily with Ukrainian invasion.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    If trump was president,

He wouldn’t be president for ever and and would be a matter of time before Ukraine would be invaded.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SLIMBOYFAT:

Yes, I remember that scary time period of the Cuban Missile Crisis!!

I was a little kid in grade school and we had duck-and-cover drills, either under our desks or going in the hallway with our coats over our heads as we leaned against the wall…I was very intuitive and felt the danger and concern in the air. I remember the murmuring of adults I overheard at church, etc..

I’m sure some other people on the forum remember it was about this time that everybody started to see those bright yellow and black “Fallout Shelter” signs that were posted on certain buildings..my school being one of them!

• LV101
    LV101

Yes, LHG -- lots of drills and convos among we young ones and fear we were going to die -- many parroting their parents' dislike/blame on President Kennedy.

• shadowclone
    shadowclone

Slimboyfat,

I appreciate your intentions, but you state a number of factual errors in your post. It presents a distorted view of JFK, RFK and others involved in the crisis.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

Everyone in the room said it was a terrible deal, there was no way the Unites States should accept it. John Kennedy’s own brother, the Secretary of State, opposed the deal. The invasion of Cuba should go ahead.

Is that why they killed JFK?

• Biahi
    Biahi

We had those drills at my school too, only they called them “tornado drills”.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit