Woman threw Watchtower in my face so I voted yes to Australian gay marriage.

by Witness 007 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Years ago on one of my last Witnessing trips I left two magazines with an intelligent looking woman with a lovely house. She gave my a donation and we carried on. After 45 minutes she tracked us down at another house and returned the mags to me saying we "hate homosexuals and are preaching hatred..." She looked very upset and I was shocked by this and because someone actually bothered to READ the magazines I just left! She made me think of all the times as a Pioneer I spoke with gays and started with "God loves everyone (liar) and all life to him is sacred (except you gays) his laws are for our benefit (mind control)." So yesterday I voted yes in Australia's gay marriage ballot. Why should the government push it's view as to who should get married like the Watchtower? I for one now welcome our gay friends to the misery and prison of marriage. Enjoy, why should only I suffer. I feel like I have redeemed myself it feels good.

• jaydee
  • karter
    karter

Gays have just as much rite to be as miserable and unhappy as the rest of us.

Karter.

• steve2
    steve2

Yes, and from a legal perspective, when same-sex marriage is recognized, the married income tax levels apply.

For example, I am near retirement age so when I apply for the universal pension, I will have to declare my husband's income - whereas if I were not in a legally recognized relationship, I wouldn't.

This is what opponents of marriage equality forget: Gay and lesbian couples prior to civil unions or marriage equality did not need to declare they were in a relation as a tax requirement so they paid less tax. Opponents cannot tell me that's okay!

Besides, marriage in secular societies is not a religious institution but a secular one. That people chose to marry in a church, temple or other place of worship does not mean it is a necessary step to "legalizing" marriage.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Governments once banned interacial unions. Who do they think they are? They are crossing the boundry of government/religion. Dont they have more important things to worry about like the failing economy. I think a man should be able to marry many wives if he wants. How can the government say no. Who are they!?

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    Witness 007: I for one now welcome our gay friends to the misery and prison of marriage. Enjoy, why should only I suffer.

Haha!! Yes, I was thinking much the same. Heterosexual people muck marriages up muich without any help from gays.

steve2: I am near retirement age so when I apply for the universal pension, I will have to declare my husband's income - whereas if I were not in a legally recognized relationship, I wouldn't.

More laughter from me. But in Aust. the pollies have already covered that one. A few years ago the Rudd govt. passed legislation that gave increased recognition to gay relationships, and declared that if they lived in a domestic relationship they would be counted as 'married' (or something like that) particularly when it came to pension rights.

• Witness 007 : Governments once banned interacial unions. Who do they think they are? They are crossing the boundry of government/religion. Dont they have more important things to worry about like the failing economy. I think a man should be able to marry many wives if he wants. How can the government say no. Who are they!?

Well, its not governments, its the residual beliefs of the people who form governments. In most western countries, the residual beliefs are based on christian traditions.

So we need to get rid of xtianity, and things may change for the better.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

She must have been intelligent to have figured out that JWs are a Religion of Hate - in record time too.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Good for you. Homophobia is untenable in this day and age. JWs will need to reform on this issue, or rightly be shamed for their ignorance.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Hate for gay people used to be the one common denominator from pretty much every religion. Times have changed for the better. Today, many of those opposing to same sex unions for religious reasons (there are others who do for other reasons) try to change the narrative and make it about something that it's not. They are the ones who always start talking about sex, sex with animals, pedophilia and all other disgusting behavior, when the issue is about the benefits, entitlements and protections that the law provides when people get married.

The worst part of it are LGBT+ JWs who get convinced of all the hateful crap and go on preaching and endorsing hate for their own selves. Sad (been there myself, though). Some make it out of that nonsense, but not all.

• jws
    jws

Well, the JWs aren't alone. And truth be told, I do think the bible is anti-gay. Oh, you can try to play word games and parse it and try to squint and look at it sideways to say it isn't anti-gay. But this book wasn't written by some benevolent super-being. It was written by ancient middle-eastern men. The same people who thought slavery and owning women was OK. So do you really think they were gay-friendly? And if you claim to follow the bible, I think anti-gay IS one of the things you should believe in. But that's one of the reasons I don't follow such out-dated books.

I think the reasons some religions embrace it is. Perhaps because they are kinder. But probably because the tide is turning and they realize they need to change positions in order to keep membership.

I'm all for gay marriage. And look at America. Society is not collapsing. It's not ruining the marriages of straight people. All the things the religious people said would happen. If these religious types want a sanctity of marriage, then stop cheating on your spouses. Stay married.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit