Jehovah's Witnesses commission secret report highly critical of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse

by jwleaks 20 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I am asking literally, what was the point? It’s not rhetorical. If the report is internal, not for outside readership, and confirms Watchtower’s own opinions, then what was the point of it? I am curious.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I am asking literally, what was the point? It’s not rhetorical. If the report is internal, not for outside readership, and confirms Watchtower’s own opinions, then what was the point of it? I am curious.

Me too.

Was this commissioned report by a cult friendly old fart (I really don't give two squats about his age or status) part of some official rebuttal/appeal before the Royal Commission gets to bitch slap the WT into the level of submission expected by all the other institutions OR just the WT applying a soothing salve of 'that wasn't fair' to their bruised ego?

Is the Royal Commission getting ready to hand out punishments and enforcements? OR is it all over... move along, nothing to see here?

• Corney
    Corney

slimboyfat,

Whose point? Watchtower's? I don't know, the only thing I'm aware about is that this report was provided to the Utrecht University research team and to the Dutch Minister of Justice. I think they are going to use it to rebute or challenge the ARC findings before various authorities and bodies.

smiddy3,

And did he lie, misrepresent facts of the case, mislead the court and other parties or use frivolous arguments? Are you aware of any unethical behavior on his part (it isn't unethical to represent "bad guys")? So far, his legal opinion in the "Scientology case" was unanimously accepted by the highest court of Australia.

To clarify, I'm not saying his opinion is absolutely correct. My point is that it isn't meritless.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I think they are going to use it to rebute or challenge the ARC findings before various authorities and bodies.

Well that explains it. I think the fact the author was paid by Watchtower and he has worked for Scientology is highly relevant in evaluating the report’s credibility, and I’d be amazed if most authorities don’t see it that way. Nevertheless I guess any authority on your side, even a paid for and tendentious one, may be better than none at all, is perhaps Watchtower’s reasoning. Plus he may have provided some useful lines of defence.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think the JW Org will see it as money well spent, an "expert" Legal view, that they can quote to assure the faithful numbnuts JW's that the R.C was not conducted "properly".

The Report does not seem to really make any accusations that stand much scrutiny as to the conducting of the R.C.

Points like the R.C seemed to think it had carte blanch to investigate all Abuse cases within the J.W's ????? Well, I would criticise the R.C if it did not !

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    “...[T]he Commission considered that it had carte blanche to inquire into allegations of child sexual abuse [within Jehovah’s Witnesses]...”

Well, DUH, of course it did.

...as per specific instructions given to it by the Australian government.

That was the fucking point.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

AFAIC, this is just the Org passive-aggressively trying to jab back at the Aussie gov't for its wounded pride.

And if it results in further "persecution", so much the better.

Of course, going around poking folks in the eye with a stick and then whining when you get a beatdown for it doesn't actually make you "persecuted".

It just makes you an asshole.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

This is donated money being spent on the educated worldly, just because these lawyers are already extremely wealthy means nothing, their legal opinion comes at a cost which is usually eye watering. The WT by it’s own admission shouldn’t have this money to spare.

There is no moral high ground and barely a legal foot to stand on but the sick and sad old WTS is digging its heels.

I find it repugnant on many levels. The WT could join the redress scheme but would rather pay lawyers then compensate victims.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    slimbyfat - "...If the report is internal, not for outside readership, and confirms Watchtower’s own opinions, then what was the point of it?"

In-house validation.

They're (re-)reassuring themselves that they're "in the right", and therefore have no real need to change their policies, and should, in fact, resist all external pressure to change said policies, whilst completely refusing to acknowledge just how increasingly fucktarded the policies actually are.

It's basically a rhetorical circle-jerk.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    2+2=5 - "...sad old WTS is digging its heels."

Let 'em.

All that can do is come back and bite 'em on the ass...

...over, and over, and harder, and harder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit