"Do not make any graven image" (oh except the one on the Ark of the covenant of course!) Huh??

by stuckinarut2 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So we all know that the first few commandments state that "there should be NO graven images made" etc...

BUT, the very "Ark of the Covenant" had two angelic figures on the lid! So the VERY box used to carry the 10 commandment tablets, broke those same laws!!!

This observation, plus many other hilarious ones is highlighted in the latest episode of The How-To Heretic podcast (episode 063)

It is a great listen! Well worth spending the time listening to.

https://howtoheretic.com/podcast/

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

Yeah that realization struck me back when I was JW. I thought it was weird that God made an exception to his otherwise very strict, enforced under penalty of death, “no idols” rule.

• blondie
    blondie

jws might say that no Israelite saw it other than the high priest because it was in the Most Holy compartment of the temple/tabernacle where only the high priest could enter once a year (3 times on same day) When traveling the ark was covered so it could not be seen. So jws might say that it was not used as an object or worship. I have found this same response by jewish scholars.

• Stuck in the middle37
    Stuck in the middle37

I always thought the copper serpent, that God commanded Moses to make (numbers 21) stood out as a direct volition of that law.You had to look upon the serpent to live if you were bitten by a snake and it was worshiped for many years after that.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Great comments and let’s not forget the Ark was a direct copy of the Egyptian Bark and on one of the temples of Egypt you can see carved into the wall an Egyptian Bark with two winged creatures just like those on the Ark. These two creatures that looked like winged angels were most likely depictions of the goddess Maat. The Egyptian Bark was just like the ark and would be carried from temple to temple as they moved the god Amun around. The similarities are uncanny.

• waton
    waton

Must have been quite a trick to make these objects because it must have involved carving these objects, making a female mold, then casting them, or if kept in the positive form, covering them with the reflective gold leaf. Could be done by blind artists. And then there were the angels covering the wall curtains of the HoH too. Not only not looking, but not touching either.

Come to think of it, among Abraham's legacy, only the Muslim architecture adheres to this rule now. or?

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I listened to that episode last week and learned a lot. I never was big on the stories in the Bible and a lot of stuff slipped past me. Stuff that probably would have opened my eyes way before I actually woke up. I love their podcast. That's a great share.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit