A flash from the past

by wasone 18 Replies latest jw friends

• wasone
    wasone

This is a photo of the Bethel Repair Shop taken in 1976. Anyone recognize any of these lads from 40 years ago. I know it's a long shot, but was wondering how many were still in after all these years. I remember a few of them. Front row center with stripped shirt is Brent McClean from Illinois, to his right is Steve Black from Louisiana to McClean's left is Donald Murray from Massachusetts. I'm looking over Murray's left shoulder, I was from Georgia. The big guy at the very top back row is John Mikruk from New Jersey. Can anyone identify any others and what happened to them.

• prologos
    prologos
    They are all a generation younger than I, but they all look that they would so much more content if allowed the permanent presence of a woman, and more time at the meal tables.
  • wasone
    wasone

, but they all look that they would so much more content if allowed the permanent presence of a woman, and more time at the meal table. prologos

Actually two of those guys had wives with them at Bethel. Can't imagine why any woman would want to make a home at that place.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I came to Bethel in April 76 and left a year later. I don't recognize anyone in the photo but they all have that certain "Bethelite" look that you can't quite put your finger on. It must be the bad Bethel haircuts they forced us to get. I went to the Bethel Barber once and that was one too many times. My Mom used to cut hair so I was used to having good haircuts. At one point she had a broken wrist and taught me how to cut my own hair so that's what I did from then on. It used to just fry the floor overseer on haircut day when he'd tell me it was my turn to go and I'd decline his orders. The guys I worked with always wanted to know which of Bethel Barbers I went to so they could go to him because they hated the one size fits all haircuts they would get. Long on top....side part...shaved up the back. I took pity on my friends and eventually had a few customers of my own until the floor overseer put a stop to it.

Did you know :

Milton Carrion,

Johnny Tender (yes,his real name)

Hector Mendez,

Herman McMickens,

Alvin Morris.

Lance Canada,

Gil Acasio,

Clarence Scott

Ernie Grice.

Tibor Weise

• wasone
    wasone
    Pete Zahut

God forbid you missing a hair cut appointment. You got to do without. I made that mistake once. Looked pretty shabby before I was able to get another.
  • wasone
    wasone
    Pete Zahut Sorry don't recognize any of those names. A lot of people there and a loong time ago.
  • Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds
    I used to love haircut day as it gave me an excuse to get off the floor for a while. I'd milk that for all it was worth. I would poop and change before the haircut. Afterwards, I would shower and change back into my work clothes. I got my money's worth lol.
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I found one of my old Bethel roommates a couple of years ago on facebook. I saw his facebook page and it was full of JW memes and the daily text etc. He was kind of a fun but mischievous guy at 19....used to skip out of work, drink beer on the roof, play pranks on others. He was now in his mid 50's and had been looking for me for years and was delighted to hear from me. I was looking forward to hooking up with him but after a few phone calls back and forth things got pretty sad.

What was once fun and crazy had become a bit odd with age and time. He was still single and had become one of the "anointed" and was living in an apartment alone and on Disability because he had an enlarged heart. He said he weighed over 300 pounds and only left the house a couple times a month. He was eligible for a heart transplant but declined because he was looking forward to being with " Lord God Jehovah" in heaven. Between testifying about the grand creator and quoting scriptures, he kept mentioning how his "Lord and God Jehovah" was miraculously making sure he was provided for. For example, he said he had been craving some barbecued ribs one evening and there was a knock at the door and someone from the rib place around the corner delivered an order of ribs for him. He said the congregation was visiting him regularly and as time went on he began hinting heavily that I send him money and food and told me about places near him that delivered. It seemed to me that heavy hinting is what was at the root of these miracles he spoke of.

This went on for a few months and got odder and odder until eventually I quit calling. I learned that he finally passed away last year and felt badly about not having kept in contact. I just couldn't stand having to bite my tongue every time he started in about his heavenly hope etc.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

ah yes the 'old weird single bethelite'

you can spot those guys a mile away.

• wasone
    wasone
    Pete Zahut I've only met up with a couple who were at Bethel when I was there. Brent and Bonnie McClean left shortly before I left in 76. They were special pioneers before Bethel. I met up with them in Chattanooga a few years ago when they were on their way to Florida. They left the organization long ago and were happy and successful .Brent was roommates at Bethel with Steve " Just2laws" who use to post here. Steve and his wife Joy were at Bethel when I was there also. Met up with them ounce when I and my son were driving through Florida . I think those are the only ones I've had any contact with in more recent years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit