1970's Russell Pyramid Photo!

by Atlantis 15 Replies latest jw friends

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I have read that the pyramid was vandalized several times over the years. There was a time capsule inside at one time, which was removed/stolen decades ago. Supposedly it contained nothing particularly important or valuable (time capsules seldom do). I visited the site a few weeks ago. It's a shame it is gone, but at least they replaced the name markers of the individuals whose names were carved on the pyramid.

edited to add:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5097906067996672/visited-russell-gravesite-yesterday

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

I to made the pilgramage back in 2013.

Didn't know they took it away.

Wonder where it went or who took it or if it was demolished?

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Here I am offering the pastor a coffee.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

It's possible that "what was the motive of the vandal/were they WT or ex?" may be overthinking it a bit. In my experience, graveyards are subject to vandalism as a normal course of events. They tend to be open and accessible and usually unguarded, especially at night. The pyramid, by virtue of its prominence, could be a target for someone out to make their mark by being destructive. I'm not saying it couldn't be the other two alternatives either, just that there is also this third possibility.

Not being the vandalising sort, I'm sad that this piece of history is no longer available for viewing. Two decades ago it was on my must see list if I ever got to that part of the USA.

Just to make it clear, it wasn't the only historical oddity on that list. Grizzly Adams' grave was also one I wanted to see and photograph. That's in Massachusetts, but if I was touring the North Eastern US, both could have been doable.

I'm still not ruling out the other two possibilities. Slimboyfat's theory of a disgruntled exJW taking things out on a visible monument to the foolishness that encompassed his life at one point isn't a bad one.

moomanchu, surely that's a waste of good coffee? 😳

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

He didn't partake so no loss. LOL

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Wasn't he technically part of the 144,000? Why didn't he partake? 🤣

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit