Prince tried to make a recruitment film for jw's?

by purrpurr 6 Replies latest jw friends

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

I've read in an article on that in 2001 prince wanted director Kevin smith to make a movie based on his album the rainbow children. But the director dropped out when he realised that it was going to be a recruitment film for jw's including flashing messages on screen like "Jesus Christ is God's son" etc

Has anyone else heard this before? It sounds like they were planning to use subliminal messages which if true is extremely unethical. It makes me wonder if the JW's use it in their own films?

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Prince was a half-crazy recluse who hid his promiscuous lifestyle under the the label of "eccentric creativity." He was a musical genius, but make no mistake about it, if you or I looked, dressed, or acted like him while professing to be a JW, we'd be out on our asses so fast you'd be dancing thru the Purple Rain. He got away with it because he had the $$$$, just like Venus and Serena, etc.

I've seen Kevin Smith's stand-up where he talks about his week-long experience with the "Purple One." It solidified my opinion of Prince as privately crazy! He and Michael Jackson must have been separated at birth.

Two fine "examples" of what motherly JW influence will do for you. Ha!

• TimDrake1914
    TimDrake1914

Partly true, as WingCommander stated. From Kevin Smith's own account, it doesn't sound at all as a film for JW's. It was only for Prince. If you care to watch the account, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LhcParuzpc

Definitely interesting, and quite funny. But definitely confirms how crazy/eccentric he was, as WingCommander also stated.

• purrpurr
    purrpurr
    Sounds like prince thought he was giving a great witness and was probably putting the people there off the JW's big time!
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Of course he was crazy/eccentric.

Like I've said regarding the GB, that's a really easy habit to fall into when you think you're a genius and you're surrounded solely by people who are never allowed to disagree with you.

This explains every crazy-ass celebrity ever.

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

Watched that last night. So interesting to hear outsiders (never been JWs) perspectives on stuff.

Still can never relate to a deeply creative soul with every advantage at the nurturing and development/promotion of their creative gifts at a time when MTV was ripe and his thing filled a niche.

For every Prince Rogers Nelson, there are untold numbers of individuals with passion and promise. What a lottery of luck this life is.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I agree Phaedra . Prince was a very accomplished musician, but he definitely hit it big at the right time.. And I don't think he has really reached that level of creativity that people are talking like he did. He wrote a few catchy tunes but he was certainly no innovator.. most of the stuff he did had been done before and better by others imo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit