YHWH in Hebrew letters

by dropoffyourkeylee 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I thought I had seen everything, but I picked up a Bible at Goodwill yesterday that has the tetragrammaton in Hebrew in the OT.

It has the tetragrammaton in the NT too.

published in South Africa apparently, 1998.

• jhine
    jhine

In the NT ? Wow , most scholars agree that the Tetragrammaton was never in the NT .

Jan

• dropoffyourkeylee
  • dropoffyourkeylee
  • dropoffyourkeylee
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Sorry, I am unable to post the photo right now

• dropoffyourkeylee
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Sorry for the multiposts, I am working off a strange wifi and having difficulty with posting.

The Bible in question is ‘The Scriptures’, published in 1998 by Institute For Scripture Research in Johannesburg, South Africa.

The photo in the previous post is John 1, the YHWH tetragrammaton can be seen in v23. They have also placed the Hebrew letters for Yehoshua (Jesus) as in v. 17. There are numerous other oddities, but the Hebrew letters are really strange looking.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

A sacred name/Adventist group? Is there any information on the reverse title page?

I see it’s listed as J66 in the new NWT reference Bible appendix C4.

Jan, scholars who have supported the divine name in the early NT: George Howard, Lloyd Gaston, David Trobisch, John McRay, Frank Shaw.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

"‘The Scriptures" Bible you have is part of the Sacred Name movement. I consider the one you have to be the best of that movement, but the Greek text of that Bible is very close the Greek text used by the KJV (and NKJV), rather than the ones used by the NASB and NRSV. [I used to own a copy of that edition/translation as well as the Restoration of Original Sacred Name Bible. I first found a copy of the latter at a local thrift store and later I purchased a copy direct from the publisher. I owned those Bibles while I doing independent research of the Bible and of Christianity - after I stopped attending the Kingdom Hall.] The movement seems to have started within the "Church of God (Seventh-Day)" movement and at about the time the Watchtower adopted the name "Jehovah's witnesses" for the name of their religion. Some of the people in the Sacred Name movement seem to be Torah keeping Messianic Jewis (of the kind who believe Jesus Christ is the Messiah) and others are non-Jewish Christians who keep portions of Torah (including some of the OT biblical holy days).

People within the Sacred Name movement disagree with others in the movement as to what the exact pronunciation is of the divine name (and even as to what the transliteration into English is of the Tetragrammeton) and some Bibles in the movement use the Hebrew letters instead of English letters. Some have the name of Jesus (Yeshua/Yehoshua/Yahshua) in Hebrew letters also, such in "‘The Scriptures" (as seen in the photo you posted of John 1:17), due to disagreements of what his exact pronunciation is. A number of the Bible editions produced by the movement state it is extremely important to the correct pronunciation of the Divine Name in order for prayers to be heard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Name_Movement . It says the following.

"The Sacred Name Movement arose in the early 20th century out of the Church of God (Seventh Day) movement. This movement was influenced by Joseph Franklin Rutherford who changed the name of the main branch of the Bible Student movement to Jehovah's Witnesses in 1931, based on his belief in the importance of the Hebrew name of God.[2] C. O. Dodd, a member of the Church of God (Seventh Day), began keeping the Jewish festivals (including Passover) in 1928, adopting sacred name doctrines in the late 1930s.[3]

The Assembly of Yahweh was the first religious organization in the Sacred Name Movement. It was formed in Holt, Michigan, in the 1930s. The Assembly of Yahweh believes the name of Yahweh should be used along with their reconstruction of his son's name, Yahshua." [Somewhat in contrast, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assemblies_of_Yahweh says 'The Assemblies of Yahweh is the largest sacred name group,[3] but it is not part of the Sacred Name Movement." The article also says "The Assemblies leaders call their faith 'True Worship', rather than Christianity or Judaism. " That sounds like what Rutherford called the WT/JW religion!]

The Assemblies of Yahweh group within the movement even published what is called "The Sacred Scriptures Bethel Edition" in Bethel, Pennsylvania USA. (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Scriptures_Bethel_Edition)! The Wikipedia article says "The Sacred Scriptures Bethel Edition concludes with a "pure religious vocabulary" section, which gives the explanation of words which should be avoided for those seeking "to purify their personal worship".[9] The glossary of terms briefly traces and presents the etymology of words used frequently by Christian theologians that the translator claimed are pagan in origin."

The website of the Assemblies of Yahweh says "Can you perceive how those who reject Yahweh's commandments cannot have Yahweh's Holy Spirit? Yahweh's Holy Spirit is freely given to those who are obedient and show love to Yahweh by obeying
    His commandments. ... Yahshua the Messiah never taught that the
    Covenant Law of Yahweh would be annulled." They sound like an the WT/JW religion on steroids in regards to keeping all Yahweh's commandments (not just the NT ones but also the OT ones) [note the latter part of Revelation 12:17]. I wonder if they are an offshoot of the WT/JW religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit