They lied about methuselah tree at convention

by hoser 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The newest date for the oldest pine is now 5066 but there's an even older tree system in Scandinavia

• steve2
    steve2

It is so confusing when scientifically reliable dating systems conflict with fairy stories fashioned by genocidally-inclined patriarchal societies from a few thousand years ago.

Who to believe, who to believe?

Ummmmmmmmmmm.

Definitely not JW organization.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver
    hoser: There was a part about pine trees in California mountains at regional convention. The brother/organization lied about how old they are. He said oldest tree is 4200 years old when it is actually 5000 years old.

That sounds FAKE - any links / outline / video?

The WT believes the flood was 2,370 BCE, yes? So that's 4,387 years ago

The WT said in print - scanned proof below - in 2004 that the 'Methuselah Tree' is over 4,700 years old

Where does 4,200 years ago come from? What's your proof?

Awake 22 March 2004, page 15

Methuselah on the Mountain
    In the White Mountains of the western United States at 10,000 feet [3,000 m] above sea level lives what is thought to be the oldest tree in the world—a bristlecone pine called the Methuselah Tree, also known as the Old Man. Estimated to be over 4,700 years old, Methuselah is the senior member in a grove of ancient bristlecone pines known as the Methuselah Grove.

• janusfulcrum
    janusfulcrum

The speaker who gave this talk at the convention I attended made no mention of how long they live, only that they live very long. Hmmmm. I thought it odd, and immediately Googled it, and saw the reason maybe why. He did the math.

Another interesting fact about the bristlecone pine is that they succumb very quickly to root rot, thriving only in very dry, rocky soils. So seems they wouldn't have survived a supposed worldwide flood, and months of soaking thereafter. 'Course with a coating of fairy dust, anything is possible.

• waton
    waton

"...they wouldn't have survived a supposed worldwide flood, and months of soaking.

janusfulcrum, not to forget though, that those woods were pressure treated, with ~ 6000 meters of water above them, to submerge Mt. Everest.

The woods before the flood were special, evidently. They must have had extraordinary tensile strength, close to Aluminium, self adhesive to stick together and easy to work with like balsa. These are thorny questions, the methuselah age, dates, dating clearly not a biblical, or wt forte.

• janusfulcrum
    janusfulcrum

Yes! JW Science/Nature writers, best ever!

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

So they are contradicting themselves with that article. Its too hilarious. Whoever wrote it didn't even think about the flood!

Unless of course they actually believe this tree made it through a global flood and survived under water for what....30 days? That valley isn't very high. Wouldn't exactly be the first to see the sky after a flood. Lol.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

The video "CO17_E_091_No35-1.mp4" is the one shown about the trees and it contains NOT the age of this trees.

Thanks to wifibandit for the videos and the scripts.

Here are the videos: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0tM-QjYBgTqOVBsalNNTV85YVU

The script also says nothing about the age of this trees.

Name of the script: "CO-tk17-35-E.docx"

Here are the scripts: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwofxgrfEXucdmxQX1d6bkpqTzg

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

fastJehu: The video "CO17_E_091_No35-1.mp4" is the one shown about the trees and it contains NOT the age of this trees... The script also says nothing about the age of this trees.

thanks for confirming - I had checked them out myself before my earlier post above, but I might have missed it, so thanks for confirming.

The WT have said - in print, in black and white - that the tree is "over 4,700 years old".

There is an issue regarding how they could survive a global flood - but that's a strawman argument - the issue is the age, NOT how did they survive - that's the gist of the title and OP of this thread - and it's noticeable that the original thread starter has 'gone quiet'.....

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

They mentioned something about this in the talk at Brighton as they said something like 4600 or 4700 years old as I whispered to my wife that that was interesting considering the flood was about 4400 years ago and would have destroyed all the trees.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit