A positive about been a former JW

by joe134cd 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I decided on Christmas Day to wash the house and do some yard work. I had a concerned neighbour come out and bring me some of their Christmas food. Although I appreciated the food and wished her a merry Christmas, the neighbour was concerned as to why I wasn’t inside enjoying Christmas.

Although I never stated the exact reason why. It got me thinking. To be honest, I find Christmas and birthdays a hassle, and I think it was a positive of been in the cult. I really couldn’t care less, or be bothered about Christmas or anything else. I don’t think I missed it in the past or will miss it in the future. I’m quite happy to wash the house and do the yard work. Those were my thought today. Merry Christmas to you all.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I feel the same way Joe. My ex JW daughter loves the holidays and likes to decorate. Since I am living with her, I do the holiday thing for/with her. But like you, I could care less about them.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

My wife wants and does put up a small tree. I don't do lights or get into it. In fact I hate Xmas. Not because of and left over JW BS but its so commercialized. I hate the Music, the people rushing everywhere, panic buying and all the rest. Its just a PITA. I know its because I don't have any of the good memory of family getting together and the rest but it is what it is. I hate Xmas.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

I love Christmas lights!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I do the decorations and the lights, and find a nice variety of Christmas music (hint: The more you censor, the less variety you are going to get). Even though I believe that jesus is hogwash intended to enslave the world, I take it as "the sun" when they mention Christ. I would rather actually worship the sun on that day.

But, I do not take extremes in going into debt. That will only hold you back next year, making next Christmas dreary. I would just as soon stay within my means so I can keep doing it year after year without worrying about it all year long. And I would rather be getting things to prepare for it during July and August, so there is plenty of time instead of that mad rush on December 24 when everything should already be ready to go. Even food--I would rather buy non-perishable items slowly during the fall and stay within purchase limits (and, even in absence of such, within reasonable quantities) and have the time to get items in short supply instead of panicking the day before.

And, above all, I do not advocate drink driving. Those who do that are idiots, especially since every year hundreds of thousands are warned and still drink and drive, and tens of thousands (including other road users) die from drink driving (plus many others seriously injured). Drink and drive, and you are asking for a dreary Christmas and a crappy new year (especially if you kill or seriously injure someone or get badly hurt yourself). That is one thing I say Bah! Humbug! to.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yes.... i agree with those who find Christmas a big yawn. It all seems a bit childish to me and not having any , I can happily leave it alone.

I am glad that yesterday is over.. I spent the afternoon with some old dvds . At least there is a bit of sport to watch today , weather permitting

• Biahi
    Biahi

I have such sad memories growing up, knowing all the kids I knew were getting gifts and having fun family time, while for me it was a sad, dreary day. I used to have a fantasy that I would wake up to a beautifully decorated Christmas tree, with gifts, and my parents saying , “Surprise! We decided to quit being witnesses! Merry Christmas!” That never happened. I vowed to myself that I would NEVER bring a child into the world to feel that way. And I didn’t. The joy of seeing my daughters happy face on Christmas morning is indescribable, and now it carries on with my grandchildren. Btw, I bought an impulse purchase at Costco, which turned out to be the highlight of his day. A little hovering toy. He LOVED it. He went to a birthday party last week, and the birthday boy got this. My grandson was so jealous, he wanted one so bad. His parents said maybe for his birthday. There it was, from Grammy and grandpa. 😀

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

I too would fantasize as a kid that what if we were not witnesses. I would have to make up stories of what presents I got when we came back from Christmas break at school.

• Overrated
    Overrated

As a child growing up as a Jw, was constrained and restricted to unfounded ridiculous believes. As I kid a kid I dreaming of escaping the cult. When I became an adult, I left the cult with no notice. Yes, they try to get me to come back. But it I know better. Now I live the life I want without the ball and chain of a cult dictating how your life should be.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

We were always encouraged to boldy witness. I did my best and made sure everyone knew I didn't celebrate Christmas. So this year, friendly people have been saying to me, "you don't celebrate Christmas." This has given me a fine opportunity to explain what happened to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit