Wifely Subjection: Mental Health Issues in Jehovah’s Witness Women

by defender of truth 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

What do you think of this article?

Is there anything that relates to your own experience?

I just came across it while searching for references on the consequences of sexism in the JW organization.

www.icsahome.com/articles/wifely-subjection--mental-health-issues-in-jw-women-csj-14-1

• flipper
    flipper

DEFENDER of TRUTH- Thanks for posting the link to this article. A lot of information to read but VERY well written. I agree with everything there. I saw JW women treated horrifically by JW men due to the patriarchal attitudes within the JW cult. My own older sister was beaten by her long time JW husband who cheated on her with other women in the congregation and did heavy drug use for years. The elders advice to her ? They asked her, " What have you been doing to make your husband so angry that he'd beat you and do these things ? You must not be submissive enough for him to be doing this."

After 20 years my sister finally escaped the marriage but had PTSD for years afterwards and her JW husband had damaged her sexual organs so badly in a violent manner - that she could never have sex with another man in her lifetime. A real pig he was.

So, yes I have eyewitnessed firsthand the horrific damage that this asshole criminal organization's teachings have inflicted on women. It's disgusting. The organization needs to be brought down and criminal charges of crimes against mankind need to be filed against them with the fuck--- leaders locked up

• Heaven
    Heaven
    Hey DOT, thanks for posting this. I'll have to read it later but just my 2 cents worth on the topic... I watched my Mom lose her individuality and become chronically ill in large part due to this ideology.
  • Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

I see it all the time by the eltards in my current congregation. Makes me sick the way these women are treated and what's sad is they just take it. I know one in particular who gets verbally berated right in front of people for the stupidest things.

One day she is gonna cut his pee pee off.

• purrpurr
    purrpurr
    I can see this happening in the Cong worldwide and alot of the bro's love it. You can almost see it in the way they strut about, they love being able to dominate the women
  • Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

I once read on the machinist's forum about a low key timid draftsman being berated constantly my some bullying manager. One day after YEARS of this treatment the draftsman got up right after the last abuse session and hit the bully over the head with a heavy gear fracturing his skull. The injured bully was taken away by ambulance, no one questioned anything and charges were not pressed. The bully came back to work and was never the same after.

Mind you this happened in the seventies, might not fly in this day and age.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Even back when I was still in, I was well aware that an extremely disproportionate amount of JW women (compared to the "world") were on antidepressants, antispychotics, and/or had occasionally visited the local psych ward.

Towards the end (or, really, the beginning :wink:), I had definitely started to wonder just how much of that was an indirect (or fully direct) result of WT policies, rules, and doctrines...

...i.e. I started genuinely suspecting that the Org was literally driving its more (emotionally) vulnerable members crazy.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Oh geeeez, I hit the dislike when trying to click the LIKE, it happens to me all the time when I'm on this iPad, I'm so sorry. This article is absolutely GREAT, thank you so much for posting. The article describes exactly how I felt as a woman in the jdubs.

Marina

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Oh yes...this is the case locally.

The bully alpha male elder with the emotionally beaten down wife who is so damaged, and yet can't see it!

• Spiral
    Spiral

This is a great article, not even just about women go through as a "submissive wife" ***blech*** but what all JWs go through. If you aren't allowed to do your own thinking and you spend your whole life parroting what "the brothers" want you to do, you will be crazy. Then add to that being poor, undereducated and struggling. *SIGH*

Vidiot, I can't agree more.....the JWs have (by far) more emotionally damaged people within their ranks than without. Partly I'm sure because they attract people who need a source of control, but even more so because they create the problems for their members.

"...i.e. I started genuinely suspecting that the Org was literally driving its more (emotionally) vulnerable members crazy." Yep, seeing that every day. Just watching their TV channel makes me crazy.

And, as frustrated as I get with my mother, I see her portrayed in this article. My dad wasn't a JW, but he was sure domineering. Then, she becomes a JW. She hardly had a chance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit