The Kingdom Hall

by TheLiberator 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zophar
    zophar

Pete...

What a balanced reply. Well thought out and reasoned.

There are so many things we could get involved with that are far worse than a religious cult. What about the Manson Cult? What about the bloodguilt of the Nazi's etc. It doesn't mean that the religion didn't do us harm but we can stop that harm in time.

Our motives while we were JW's were pure for most of us and we had a real desire to help others and to worship God. There are probably about the same number of Christians among JW's as many other religions.

How right you are about the black and white thinking. We need to stop it!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well said Pete.

The comment that works well if anyone pushes for an explanation as to why we are not involved anymore is:

"I have discovered some disturbing things that I am processing now. Thanks for your interest."

Then leave it at that....say no more.

• Alive!
    Alive!

Heartfelt words in this thread - and I totally get the reaction to 'cult-speak' - I kind of always had been aware of this pattern of words throughout certain JWs speech - the 'slave' is used a great deal now by the sounds of things - back in the 80s it was the 'remnant' the 'annointed' the '144000' - because back then I was taught that globally the 'remnant' get 'truths' from Jehovah that they share at HQ, by calling in, writing or some other means.....

But so true that it would be defeating 'liberation' from cultic thinking if we adopt more black and white perceptions of how we view our fellow humans....it's a tough old wrangle of the mind, emotions and Lord knows what.

I have made a right pigs ear of my unofficial 'exit' - my lack of patience wore out when I kept centering on questions that I felt should be clearly answered, not for us 'innies' but for those who may observe our ways.....although no-one dared to come back and provide a fair answer and eventually dropped contact etc -so there you go. Hope they don't get asked the same question with an interested person.....because no one I appealed to appeared to do the homework required to give a fair and honest reply.

Or perhaps they did - and the answer terrified them.

My faith is inclusive, I guess it always was, sort of - we are all on a journey.

And for the Christian 'disciple' - well, plenty of warnings what to look for when 'the way' goes 'awry'.

Thanks for writing your heart out @Liberator - it helps us all to think, rethink and move in the best way we can.... And wise words from PeteZahut.

Thanks everyone.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    I'm still scared of the dark. Yeah the hall always felt a safe place. I could still go there now it wouldn't be any different from all the years I attended. Most would ignore me like normal.
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    its a gradual awakening and everyone reacts differently, myself I found an huge sense of joy,relief about finding TTATT, but I was having to deal with a different set of problems in regards to a failing marriage,unemployment( I did find good employment very shortly after we separated) moving away and eventually divorce , I really did hit rock bottom during the last year together as I watched it all fall apart, I simply was unable to cope, but the sense of starting out again after I'd moved away and I found a new purpose in life, a renewed energy, life turned around so quickly and so much for the better, but we leave wounded by it we take away scars to our graves after investing so much time,emotion and energy in it. I can really understand the deep rooted mental health problems that people develop;anxiety/panic attacks,depression,PTSD etc but time is a wonderful healer, we do move on. Looking back it all seems so ridiculous that we were sucked into this scam but the amazing thing I've found is being able to help others escape from them and wake up. Look forward to the rest of your life TheLiberator!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit