Waking someone up using WT Article on "Doubts"?

by cappytan 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cappytan
    cappytan

Has anyone had success in using this article to convince their family member or spouse that critical research of what the Society presents is important to build faith?

This article has this passage that jumped out at me:

Of course, not all doubt is bad. At times, you need to suspend acceptance of something till you are sure of the facts. Religious exhortations to the effect that you should just believe and should doubt nothing are dangerous and deceptive. True, the Bible says that love “believes all things.” (1 Corinthians 13:7) A loving Christian is certainly ready to believe those who have proved trustworthy in the past. But God’s Word also warns against ‘putting faith in every word.’ (Proverbs 14:15) Sometimes a person’s [or organization's] past record gives legitimate reason for doubt. “Although [the deceptive talker] makes his voice gracious,” the Bible warns, “do not believe in him.”—Proverbs 26:24, 25.
    The apostle John also warns Christians against blind belief. “Do not believe every inspired expression,” he writes. Rather, “test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God.” (1 John 4:1) An “expression,” a teaching or opinion, might appear to emanate from God. But did it really come from him? Exercising some doubt, or suspending belief, can be a real protection because, as the apostle John says, “many deceivers have gone forth into the world.”—2 John 7.
    Of course, we did not just blindly believe all that we heard. We did what people living in the city of Beroea did. We ‘carefully examined the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so.’ (Acts 17:11) We ‘proved to ourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God’ and made sure that what we had heard was true. (Romans 12:2; 1 Thessalonians 5:21)

Taken from: w01 7/1 pp. 18-21 (Bolded for emphasis and also to highlight my commentary.)

This seems to me to be direct authorization to question and test the doctrines of the Society.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Cappytan,

This is the problem with a cult. There are levels of information control they employ in the WT. Some information is for the public, some for rank and file and some for elders and so on.

This is rank and file information. WT want all JWs to think that critical thinking is a must and that they all do it, but the elders condemn anyone who criticises the WT or GB. So all JWs know you can have critical thinking as long as you agree with the WT and GB always as they are always right.

This doesn't sit well with many and they develop cognitive dissonance, they wake up and leave WT eventually.

I have woken up family members. Our family experience was awful and waking them up to TTATT was easy as they new the wrong that we were experiencing.

Kate xx

• silent
    silent
    Of course they strongly encourage you through roundabout-reasonings that you shouldn't apply this to their beliefs.  I've often wondered why it doesn't say in scripture what a "pioneer" is and why no hourly requirement is mentioned?  It seems to me that removing the hourly requirements would mean people could speak to others about their beliefs as the opportunity arose and in non-confrontational situations.  It's why I only turn in token time, but in reality I don't keep track.  Keeping track of hours is not biblical nor is there any other precedent about service time other than sending them off in pairs.  Other things like facial hair and cultural limitations are encouraged as if they were from the scriptures, but have no basis in scripture whatsoever.  I invent my own culture and follow it as opposed to the vast majority of sheeple who follow other people's culture.
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    @silent: You're still in at the moment? (I am, personally. Just woke up this past year.)
  • StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Thanks for this magazine reference. I will eventually need it.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Sometimes a person’s [or organization's] past record gives legitimate reason for doubt.

What you're missing is that they would say that the Borg has never given us any reason for doubt.  "Jehovah" has always proved faithful to His people and He will never fail us.

Doc

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Years ago, I put this advice into practice and quickly realized that I was in a cult.

It's great to be free, but I really miss my children that are still stuck in the cult.

• Ding
    Ding

JWs don't apply statement like that to the WTS, because the WT religion is supposedly "the truth."

They think it only applies to everyone else.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS is not talking about doubts of jws but the doubts that people in other religions have about their own religion; they are giving these people permission to leave their current religion.

But jws supposedly have found the truth; why would they doubt that, per the WTS. 

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Blondie,

I'm sure most of us get that point, but that is exactly why it is so ironic. The arrogance that JWs have to hypocritically condemn all other religions when they are scrupulously unwilling to examine their own beliefs or to apply their own advice to themselves is simply stunning!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit