The Watchtower—Study Edition | September 2022 Prove Yourself Trustworthy

by RULES & REGULATIONS 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

The Watchtower—Study Edition | September 2022Collage: 1. Two elders visit a sister at her home. 2. Later, one of the elders reads a Bible story to his young daughter while his wife brings them a snack.

Elders do not reveal confidential matters to their family members (See paragraph 11)

11 In the congregation. Elders who are known to keep a confidence are “a hiding place from the wind, a place of concealment” for their brothers. (Isa. 32:2) We know that we can talk freely to these men, certain that what we say to them will be kept confidential. We do not pressure them to tell us things that they should keep private. In addition, we appreciate our elders’ wives because they do not try to pry information out of their husbands. Really, it is a blessing that an elder’s wife is not told personal information about her brothers and sisters. One elder’s wife commented: “I am grateful that my husband keeps information confidential regarding those he meets on shepherding calls or those needing spiritual assistance, not even telling me their names. I appreciate not being burdened with issues I can do nothing about. I am able to interact naturally with all in the congregation. And I can trust that when I confide in my husband about my personal feelings or problems, these too will remain confidential.” Of course, we all want to have the reputation of being trustworthy. What qualities will help us to achieve that goal? Let us consider five of them.

In my old congregation, elder wives were the biggest snitches, big mouths, self-righteous and the most judgmental of all the members. There was a lot of dirt that was thrown around by elder's wives.

Elders were known to tell their wives all the congregation confidential information... how teenager Johnny and teenager Jane were disfellowshipped. We knew Johnny was disfellowshipped because the elders followed him around and watched him come out of a hotel with his ''worldly'' girlfriend. We also found out Jane was having sexual relations with her boyfriend.

Don't believe for a minute one elder's wife said this:

“I am grateful that my husband keeps information confidential regarding those he meets on shepherding calls or those needing spiritual assistance, not even telling me their names. I appreciate not being burdened with issues I can do nothing about. I am able to interact naturally with all in the congregation. And I can trust that when I confide in my husband about my personal feelings or problems, these too will remain confidential.”

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Elders do not reveal confidential matters to their family members (See paragraph 11)

WWJS?

What would Jesus say? King James Bible
    Ye are of your father the devil . . . When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

• Smiles
    Smiles

Nothing new. WT again portraying a false reality.

• SadElder
    SadElder

What a joke. Dub elders are some of the worst gossips I know. As soon as they get home from an elder's meeting they spill it to Sister Eldub who will sooner than later call Sister Knowitall Eldub and compare notes. Circuit overseers can even be worse, carrying tales all over the Circuit.

Experiment: Tell Brother Holierthanthou Eldub that you won a million dollars on a scratch off ticket. Tell no one else. See how fast it gets around. Later you can say you made a mistake, it wasn't a winner after all.

• Nikolaus
    Nikolaus

In my old congregation there was an Elder that confessed that he had a device on his (old analog) telephone that his wife would use to listen to confidential calls.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

"We do not pressure them to tell us things that they should keep private. In addition, we appreciate our elders’ wives because they do not try to pry information out of their husbands."

Does that mean the elder's wife never finds out her husband has committed adultery?

Is the word 'should' a typo and was supposed to read 'will'.

• Gorb
    Gorb

JW's do a lot gossip. Did you hear? Brother Bob "did" sister Latoya. And then it came out that Bob did nothing else then steal cash out of the account of Elders insurance corporation.

G.

• blondie
    blondie

One elder told me his wife knew stuff in the congregation way before he did. It only takes one elder to share confidential info with his wife and the whole congregation will know (sort of) as she tells "only" her best friend, her best friend tells "only" her best friend, etc., and some of it gets exaggerated, false info added to make it more sensational, or info left out. I once told an elder, that I would rather get on the platform and tell the whole congregation what happened so they would get the whole story right about me with all the gory details. Mark Twain said: Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

• Biahi
    Biahi

My dad was an elder, and he kept things confidential, except once. He was so shocked, he told me and my mom. It was that a married brother, in his fifties, had sex with his own sister. My dad had a sister, I think that’s why he found it so shocking. My dad was a good guy, just believed in the wrong religion.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

My Family is from an old part of Italy. Our last name would even stir the thoughts in anyone that we are in or connected to organized crime. When we lived in the States We were gossiped about very frequently. One elders wife insisted that we we part of a Mafia family hiding in the hall. It was a riot My family spoke in Italian when in the English Kingdom Hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit