Melancholy, memories and lost moments

by Simon 21 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Food reminds of those we love. I always remember making certain cookies with my grandma. I still make them every year and remember her as I am baking them. They are still known as Grandma's cookies although they are listed in the recipe book by another name.

Layered Vegetable Pie

Ingredients:

• 1/2 lb zucchini, sliced
    • 1/2 lb eggplant, sliced
    • 1 lb red peppers, chopped
    • 1 1/2 lb potatoes, parboiled, sliced
    • 1 tin chopped tomatoes (8 - 10 oz)
    • 1 large onion, finely chopped
    • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
    • 4 oz breadcrumbs
    • 1 tbsp scented oil (hazel or walnut)
    • 3 tsp chopped fresh thyme
    • 1 tsp chopped oregano
    • olive oil
    • salt and pepper

Directions:

1. Place the eggplant in a colander. Sprinkle with salt and leave for half an hour. Rinse and pat dry.

2. In heated oil fry zucchinis, eggplant, peppers and potatoes consecutively, keeping separate.

3. Layer the vegetables in a casserole.

4. Soften the onion & garlic in the residual oil with a teaspoon each of oregano and thyme.

5. Add the tomatoes and simmer to a rich sauce.

6. Season and pour over the vegetables.

7. In a bowl mix breadcrumbs with scented oil and 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh thyme.

8. Spread the breadcrumb mixture over the vegetables to make a crust.

9. Cover and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 45 minutes.

10. Remove the cover and bake for a further 15 minutes to brown the crust.

• DJ
    DJ

Hi Simon...I relate to your past memories and to your hope for your kid's memories. It stinks to have those twisted memories and I continue to have twisted, half-truthed memories shoved down my throat daily because my family are still jw's. I think they get worse by the minute. My children are even affected by their nonsense and in turn they will have these bad memories imposed on them by my family. My parents and siblings are all jw's except one and he is just scared to make a stand. Is your family still in the org? Does it affect your kid's future memories? love, dj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit