JWs and Pacifism

by pale.emperor 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Pacifism
    ˈpasɪfɪz(ə)m
    noun: pacifism

The belief that war and violence are unjustifiable and that all disputes should be settled by peaceful means.

One thing that always irked me as a witness was their pacifism. I totally agree that non violence is a wonderful way to live, but at the same time whenever i'd read or watch something about Nazi Germany i always thought being a pacifist in that environment wouldn't work. I mean, they were invading counties left and right, deported the Jews to Auschwitz, killing whoever they wanted and taking away peoples rights. If i were in a country next door and knew we might be invaded of course i'd want to join the army and fight back. Protecting my family and friends and the country i live in.

The JW answer for this was always "Hitler would never be allowed to destroy Jehovah's people". But that didnt make sense... what about the other people? It's like Jesus allegedly said, "if we only love those who love us, whats so special about that?"

I read a great article online by a former US Marine who said this about pacifism:

"Have you ever met a Nazi? Im not talking one of these p***sy white supremacist skinheads, im talking a member of the einzatzgruppen or an SS officer? No? Because there were quite a lot of them running around Europe 75 years ago. The reason is because action was taken to stamp them out. Your mother probably told you that violence doesn't solve anything, but violence solved Nazism. Sure we'd all love to live in a world without war. But if you want peace you need to be prepared for war because sometimes negotiation and talking doesn't solve anything. The allies tried that in the 1930s but it didn't work. So something stronger was needed - a last resort yes, but it was needed and it was done."

I tend to agree with that statement. And after the two terror attacks in my country this year i do think violence is needed to defeat these people. No, I'm not saying invade whatever country or bomb the crap out of them. I mean destroy those who seek to destroy me/you/us/our family. Having an ideology of hate is one thing, but as soon as someone pulls out a gun/knife or straps explosives to themselves with the purpose of harming others, they should be taken out. Not arrested - taken out.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I`m sorry pale emperor ,but jehovahs witnesses were never pacifists and dont claim to be.

Pacifism
    ˈpasɪfɪz(ə)m
    noun: pacifism

The belief that war and violence are unjustifiable and that all disputes should be settled by peaceful means.

They believe wholeheartedly in the" war of the Great day Of God Almighty" killing God knows how many people worldwide.

that hardly equates them to being pacifists.

Your confusing neutrality in Governmental affairs of any nation with being pacifists in war.While they may not engage in actuall combat in warfare themselves they do approve of Gods forces killing untold millions in the war of armageddon of their fellow humans.

Therefore they are not pacifists.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Thanks Smiddy.

Maybe it was my household growing up. But we were always taught never to even fight back in school. Which, as you can imagine, meant bullies just had a field day with my brothers and sisters and cousins.

My aunt even went so far as to say if she or her family were being attacked and the the attacker dropped his gun, she wouldn't pick it up and use it.

• carla
    carla

"My aunt even went so far as to say if she or her family were being attacked and the the attacker dropped his gun, she wouldn't pick it up and use it."-

When my jw first joined up we had a few discussions in this vein as well. It worried me to think my jw would do nothing to protect me & kids should it become necessary. I almost wanted to buy a gun just in case. I knew if he came home and some masked men were killing/raping me & kids he would do nothing?!!?! (the actual chances of that happening are about 1 in a million, it was just for the sake of discussion) Then a few years later the borg must have come out with new light and he did a complete 180 and said it is perfectly acceptable to protect yourself and your family if need be.

I cannot agree that jw's are even neutral about anything.

Neutral- not helping or supporting either side in a conflict, disagreement, etc.; impartial.

When do jw's not have an opinion on governments, world affairs, politics or anything for that matter? I don't think they got the memo that they are supposed to be neutral, or maybe it is just my jw?

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Dare I say there's some mixed-up low-rent aurgumentation going on here

Think I'll just chill and watch some TV

• Simon
    Simon
    Therefore they are not pacifists.

I think your definition of pacifist is wonky. Most groups who are pacifist for their religious beliefs don't extend the sanctions to their deity. It doesn't stop them from being pacifists.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

My Aunt is a Quaker, and I think their definition of " pacifist" is, that by dong any act of harm to another person, you are really hurting yourself. I should mention we don't have many " quackers" in the world. ( I mean Quakers)

• TD
    TD

Jehovah's Witnesses are not pacifists. Not in the technical sense.

There is a big, big difference between the belief that you should not study martial arts or defend yourself with a firearm and the belief that you should not defend yourself at all.

Witnesses do not teach the latter as The Watchtower has explicitly acknowledged that it may become necessary to defend oneself with, "...whatever is at hand."

(This was during the 1983 change in policy where it was decided that police officers and others who carried firearms professionally could no longer hold "privileges" in the congregation.)

• Simon
    Simon

I think like most things there are degrees of adherence rather than binary groups.

Pacifism that doesn't allow self defence or protection of friends, family and loved ones is rather extreme and a narrow definition. It's not the only valid definition.

Most people's idea of "pacifism" is what applies to war and other armed conflicts.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

JWs and Pacifism

Pacifists that support a worldwide genocide?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit