Courtesy Towards Senior Bicyclists, or First Time Riding in 45 Years!

by compound complex 20 Replies latest jw friends

• cha ching
    cha ching

Just don't be looking backwards as you come to a curb... I had not biked in some years, was having a great time.... but my depth perception? my coordination skills were down... then, so was I... bam, slam, my chin was cut open...

Wasn't too long after that, and a little practice, that I got my skills up to speed, and had great fun!

• compound complex
    compound complex

cha ching:

Just don't be looking backwards as you come to a curb...

Your warning is well taken. I looked over my shoulder a few times when there was a possibility of overtaking traffic and got to thinking that I need a sideview mirror (so's not to fall and cut open my chin!!!).

THANKS!

CC

• LV101
    LV101

EsseQV - Love Mike's Bike.

CC - What fun! Be safe. It's not safe for cyclists (or motorists) here but gaining popularity.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

how fun, and great exercise.Ive not had the pleasure... yet.

I dont know where you are living, but no one in their right mind rides a bike anywhere accept bike trails, which there are few around here. you have to drive to get to them. its stinks.

too dangerous, narrow rural roads, fast highways, and no sidewalks to walk on either, youll get run over.lol

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, LV101 and sowhatnow:

Your input is much appreciated -- THANKS!

I live in the foothills of northern California, USA. Tortuous, narrow roads -- scary -- yet bicyclists are everywhere, particularly those training for major events. Sad to say, there've been fatalities. I drive to a safe place, that one mentioned earlier.

Slow and easy . . .

Best.

CoCo

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Wow that's great, riding a bike is healthy and fun!

Living in a country with more bikes than people it's hard to imagine not riding for so many years...but it shows your courage and agility to start riding again after 45 years :-)

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Anders and OUTLAW!

Yes, a little bit of courage. And it's like driving a stick shift -- you don't forget!

I could never match PeeWee for style and grace! What a pic . . .

Gratefully,

CoCo

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

We all lose our sense of balance when we get old. This is what I ride:

Unlike other three wheelers a recumbent bike handles like a car. It could be easily accessorized with all the bells and whistles including a canopy to block sun and rain. It also stands out, making it a little safer than conventional bikes. It's a bit pricey though.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greeting, Village Idiot (a moniker, in the plural, we kids heard a lot at home):

That is beautiful. I was doing yard work on a client's property and an older lady, with Hubby's help, tooled on by. I didn't know the name, so thanks!

CoCo

• LV101
    LV101

Outlaw - that's hysterical and I can't stop laughing. Love your humorous art!

Vil Id: I see older men in my community riding these bikes - they're almost laying down and their dogs are running along w/them as they peddle along.

Coco - Please don't try PeeWee's method.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit