You Deleted My Post !!!

by Simon 8 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

Apparently, some people never bother to read the posting guidelines. There are lots of helpful things in there about what to post and what not to post which explain why posts may occasionally be removed and how to complain if you think we've made a wrong decision.

The typical reasons are they they are either harassing someone over a difference of opinion (play the ball, not the person) or are simply off topic. A rose may be beautiful but if it's in a wheat field, it's still a weed. Likewise, if you want to promote or whine about something completely irrelevant to the topic being discussed, expect it to be removed. If it's to whine about me or the forum, expect it to be removed. It's not what the forum is here for - if you don't like it, don't use it. If you think you can bully me into changing my mind by posting accusations publicly on my own site, well, you will find that you can't.

My all time favourite though that has just come up is the idea that I delete and then undelete things on a whim.

Specifically, they thought that when they signed out I deleted a topic so it couldn't be seen and when they signed in again I put it back!

Yeah, just when I thought I'd heard them all, talk about paranoid ...

As much as it makes me chuckle that people think I have the time or energy to sit here, watching what they do, just waiting to pounce like that, I have no idea what they imagine I would want to accomplish by doing it.

I'm sure everyone can immediately see the Occams Razor explanation: if you post something in the members only area and then sign out, you don't see it in the list of topics but will when you sign back in again. Simple and obvious ... right?

I've also been accused of deleting things that are still right there, they just haven't bothered to look (do people think their post will stay at the top for the rest of eternity?).

So maybe don't be too quick to decide something is malevolent and start bad mouthing me.

But also, if I do delete something and you try and complain about it - don't imagine I give a shit. I get accused of it all the time even when I haven't so why would anyone imagine I care about being accused of deleting things that I have actually deleted?

It's just part of moderating the site.

• minimus
    minimus

lol

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

It's just part of moderating the site.

are there any other moderators Simon ?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Simon ...

Great response !

Rub a Dub

• newsheep
    newsheep
    Had enough of this whining drivel. Time to move on
  • minimus
    minimus

Who is whining!??

• stillin
    stillin

Yeah, Simon has pretty clear opinions on some of those political things. He and Morpheus got along well... I wonder what to do if Simon starts getting on my nerves.

All jokes aside, Simon, thanks for dealing with all of this.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    I'm sure everyone can immediately see the Occams Razor explanation: if you post something in the members only areaand then sign out, you don't see it in the list of topics but will when you sign back in again. Simple and obvious ... right?

Pffft... ha ha ha ha hahahahhahaahahhahaha lol

Also, my email is broken. Can you fix it?

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

You and I have had our differences but I respect you for keeping this forum going with not much to gain.

(I'm not kissing your tukus so don't blush :-) but respect is given where deserved and merited)

On a side note. I enjoyed reading the following:

But also, if I do delete something and you try and complain about it - don't imagine I give a shit.
    do people think their post will stay at the top for the rest of eternity?

Both gave me a good chuckle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit