What would happen to a JW who respectfully refused to fill out a no blood DPA?

by Island Man 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Island Man
    Island Man

I know you'll be involuntarily disassociated if you unrepentantly accepted a blood transfusion; and I know you'll be disfellowshipped for apostasy if you openly disagreed with Watchtower teaching.

What if you have done none of the above but simply respectfully refused to fill out the DPA without giving any reason for your refusal - so they can't accuse you of openly disagreeing with the no-blood doctrine and DF you for apostasy. They don't know why you're refusing and you're not giving them the reason - and you're being very respectful.

What can they do?

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I dont know if they could do anything actually. You have the right to not talk about your medical care.

I personally didnt fill one out for the last 3 years and no one asked me. So as long as you dont openly mention it you'll probably get away with it.

If pressed, i'd just say "i've made my own arrangements with my Dr regarding my medical care". If they push the issue i'd ask them to respect my privacy and if necessary get the police involved if they keep pushing.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

This largely depends on the elders of the congregation. Though I suspect most wouldn't actually do anything about it (fear of possible legal reprisal), I would expect many to breath heavily over your neck. Watching your every move, waiting for you to stumble on something else they could nail you for. In the end, they would find another reason to disfellowship you, even, if, in reality, the thing that started it all was your "respectful" refusal to fill the card.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

Considering that the elders know about this:

1. The Elders will form a committee to determine the JW's attitude.

2. If he remains quiet and refuses to give any reason, he will be considered spiritually weak and will be taken off from any special or all privileges. An announcement will be made to the congregation: "The Elders have handled a matter having to do with Br. ABC. You will be glad to know that spiritual shepherds are endeavoring to render assistance."

3. Till the time he is quiet about his decision, he will remain under restrictions. The day he tells someone in the congregation that he doesn't want to fill the no-blood card, elders can form a JC based on the premise that he is spreading unscriptural teaching, which can be grounds for disfellowshipping OR If he remains quiet but goes ahead and gets a transfusion, his disassociation will be announced to the congregation

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

It depends on the BOE. Most likely, they would press you on why you're refusing and depending on your answer their actions will vary widely. If you go with "Oh I keep forgetting" long enough they might stop bothering you and nothing will come of it. If you confess any doubts about the moral perfection of refusing life-saving medical treatments, though, they'll likely pursue it (excuse me, they'll seek to strengthen and encourage you) until they can get you to fall into line or admit to apostasy and disfellowshipped. Certainly if you are outspoken about your stance in the slightest with other congregation members they'll find some excuse to silence you, probably starting with marking and working towards disfellowshipping if you don't fall into line.

• freddo
    freddo

Keen congregation secretaries are a pain. I know I was one.

They typically remind you when your blood card is out of date (5 years in the UK). They get reminders to remind the congo and so occasional announcements about "only e.g. 70% of you have up to date blood cards on file, what would you do if you were in an accident etc.")

That's as far as I went, but more recent secretaries in my congo go further.

Some secretaries remind you personally or by text. I had a reminder last year by text. I texted back "thanks for the reminder, Mike" and heard nothing since.

if pushed further I am resolved to say "thank you for the reminder" and I will SHUT UP. Whatever is said then will be met with "like I said, thanks for the reminder".

E.g.

Sec'y: "Blah blah accident blah blah for your protection blah"

Freddo: "Like I said twice already, thanks for the reminder."

Sec'y: "Aren't you going to fill out a card then Freddo?"

Freddo: "Like I said three times already, thanks for the reminder."

Sec'y: "Sounds like your stalling me Freddo."

Freddo: "Like I said four times already, thanks for the reminder."

Sec'y: Eventually runs out of steam.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We had a nazi-like Secretary who chased a bit, but Mrs Phizzy and I ceased filling the things out long before we "woke up".

As Freddo says, even the most efficient Sec. will run out of steam in the end.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I actually never got a "blood card" after my 18th. I didn't agree with it but didn't say that, at first I would fill out the blood card and then later destroy it, after a few years, nobody asked about it anymore and neither was I going to bother anyone about it. Once in a while I got the "hey, yours is probably expired so you should fill this out" and sometimes they gave me a blank or after we moved to a new congregation they said we should probably replace it and I said "thanks" and never did anything with it.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

I wonder if "privileges" like MS or Elder would be withheld because of NOT filling out the DOA card? My wife and I were one of only a few families who were faithful with that and I was quickly given privileges shortly after filling it out. Not saying it was a deciding factor, but just that it was another sign of obedience to the Borg.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

If it's common knowledge amongst the congregation, you'll become the subject of a quiet (or maybe not so quiet) little "apostate" witch-hunt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit