Memories of Maryland Conventions!

by Atlantis 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Posting for Brother X

Petra!

-------------------------------------------

If you were a child during the years of 1960 to 1970, the question isn't; Do you remember these conventions? The question is; How could you forget? How could anyone who attended those conventions forget their legs going numb sitting on wooden chairs, sweat pouring off your forehead, and being forced to stay awake, while hearing that you should be doing more for God's kingdom.

Brother X was there as a child and remembers all too well being denied his sleep, and being forced to stay awake while the convention speakers went on and on about the theocratic organization.

Brother X progressed in his life and qualified for Bethel. He sat across from Ray Franz at the Bethel breakfast table and remembers Ray well. Some of you may recall these conventions, or perhaps even attended these grueling heat smoldering torture chambers. A child would certainly never forget them.

Memories of Maryland Conventions.

Brother X writes:

Around the 1960's

The 20th Century In Bible Prophecy

https://docdro.id/Ut3Q9lP

This was probably an invitation to the public talk on Sunday of a circuit assembly. Three days back then! This warehouse was an old tobacco auction house that has been torn down for decades now. This old place had squeaky wood floors and a big pile of tobacco leaves was in one corner.

We put up wooden folding chairs that were not the most comfortable to sit in. There was no heat or air conditioning and I remember it being as hot as hell there, and all I did was yawn the whole time. I was a small kid at the time. We were told not to touch the tobacco, but being a bratty kid I sampled some anyway. The stuff was very bitter and I spit it out.

The tobacco warehouse was so ancient, that there were four bathrooms; one for colored men, one for white men, one for colored women, and one for white women, and there were two water fountains.

Circuit Assembly Of Jehovah's Witnesses

1969 April 4, 5, 6, PROGRAM

https://docdro.id/zDqo71K

At that time it was a three day convention. All day Saturday, 9:00 am to 9:00 pm and field service. Sunday 9:00 am to 6:00 pm and field service. The next year the new Assembly Hall was built nearby in Crownsville.

I was a nine year old kid at that time and got so tired. The next day I had to go to school and all I did was yawn. The teacher even noticed it and said out loud: “Mr. X you can stop yawning any time now”!

"1970 “Men of Goodwill”

District Assembly Of Jehovah's Witnesses

District Assembly Program

https://docdro.id/a9aQwnj

The following year the race track in Laurel MD. was used for a district convention. Four frigging nightmarish days of it. They had air conditioning but the unit wasn't made for a big crowd like that, so it was hot! If I had stayed there much longer, I would have started to believe in hell!

Anyone who went to these conventions remembers how exhausting it was, especially for growing children who needed their sleep. That schedule had no mercy and was exhausting even for a healthy adult.

Enjoy, from a person who was there and who will never forget!

Brother X

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Great memory, good to be shared.

Gorby remembers the conventions in Holland in the 70s and 80s. No airco, wooden chairs and long, long speeches without end about blablabla.

Since I was a child, I fear large crowds. It was like hell for me, also during the break. How close I stayed near my parents.

Bad memory's and good memory's.

What an experiences.

Thanks!!!

G.

• tiki
    tiki

Oh yes.....yankee Stadium and polo grounds in 1958.....no wonder I developed an anxiety disorder...yankee Stadium in 1963...65..69...etc. Hot humid subway cars stuffed with stinky sweaty worshippers....then the thunder storms and everyone not under the tiers running for cover and they'd shroud the podium area with plastic. Putrid rest rooms reeking of stale urine...bad feces..and menstrual stench. Mirrors taped over...toilets that might or might not flush...waiting lines.....smelly food concession stands....interminable talks....but Freddie Franz was always a hoot. And the 3 day circuit assemblies...ours were usually school auditoriums they rented out. I actually liked them once I stopped puking from carsickness getting there as I sat in a classroom painting signs the whole time. Or laying in first aid with a puke bucket. Ahhh the memories...

• tiki
    tiki

And not to.forget pigeon splat from the stadium rafters. And that was our wonderful summer vacation.

• Bill Covert
    Bill Covert

Mark Twain said "the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco". Candlestick Park 1961-66, sun burn during day, tremble from cold at night. Get back to room at midnight, do it all over again next day.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Gorbatchov:

tiki:

Bill Covert:

--------------------------------------------

Thank you all for your comments and Brother X thanks you too!

Petra!

• sir82
    sir82

The coldest I have ever been in my life, literally, occurred at Three Rivers Stadium (Pittsburgh, long since torn down).

It was summer, fer gawd's sake, don't remember the date, but it was either July or August, because the conventions in Pittsburgh were always July or August.

Had to travel to Pittsburgh from Sir-town for the convention, so of course only packed clothes for summer.

Was working the food stand. Always got put at the food stand.

Anyways, for some reason, it was unseasonably cold that morning.

Our food stand was directly in front of one of the 4 main "gates" that served as entrances into the stadium.

In addition to the temperatures (in the 40s? below 10 C) being so cold, a fierce wind was blowing....directly from the direction that gate was facing....funneled into the narrow gate....right at the food stand.

Thought I would die.

Somehow (I guess because I was outranked) I got stuck at the coffee urn.

Of course, on such a cold morning, EVERYBODY wanted coffee.

It was maybe a 30 or 40 cup urn, took 5-10 minutes to brew if it was filled up. People were demanding coffee RIGHT NOW, they were in semicircular rows 5 deep, then 8 deep, then 12 deep, they had all paid their "food tickets" and were wanting the coffee they had ordered.

Poor little coffee urn, and me, couldn't keep up. But if you didn't give the people their coffee, the lines just got longer and longer and longer...

I have this foggy memory of freezing cold, fingers stiff, in pain from the wind whipping, in only short sleeves, splashing tan water with a hint of coffee flavoring (as the urn was not done brewing) into styrofoam cup after styrofoam cup, cup after cup after cup after cup after cup after cup....

Good times.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

I can certainly tell by all these detailed descriptions from you and the others, that you all never forgot these assemblies! Either burning hot or freezing cold.

Thank you!

Petra!

• SadElder
    SadElder

Maryland is hot and muggy in the summer, just in time for those famed conventions. I was baptized in 1962 at the Timonium convention. Baltimore in 1966, Washington D.C. in 1968 they were big events. I miss the camaraderie of my friends back then, but conventions and assemblies became a bore and a chore in later years. Everything about conventions is just business now with every movement scripted by Crooklyn right down to exactly how to position a contribution box. Gotta be sure you get that last bit of ice cream money.

I would have been at that Laurel Circuit Assembly it brings back some great memories of people I knew.

DO Pete D'Mura used to say when knocking on doors in service "twice during the week and only once on Sunday... let them sleep in a bit"

I think Norman Swift was still a CO then, he later moved to Florida. I think he faded out. Son Mark was one of the writers of the Freddy Vs Jason movie.

Chuck Leibensperger of Mighty Distributing fame was at Patterson or one those places involved in Watchtower financial business. He was at a planned giving event I attended some years ago.

I'm surprised Dick Wallace wasn't on the program.

Wayne Schafer is the father of David Schafer of GB Helper fame.

Dick Brandenburg and Wayne Schafer were both from the Glen Burnie Congregation one of the early days age old congregations. Their first Hall was an old quonset hut building.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

SadElder:

Thank you for your memories of days gone past. It is very possible you may already know Brother X. If you would like to get in contact with him just let me know, and maybe I can put you in contact. He might even already know you also. He worked with John Redwood (a member of this board), on a Watchtower building project years ago.

Petra!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit