Crossword Puzzles in the Awake?

by Wild_Thing 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Didn't they use to print crossword puzzles in the Awake? I vaguely remember my mother doing them, and me trying to do them when I was a small child. Is this an accurate memory or could I be thinking of a non-JW publication.

It made me think about how they have continued to dumb down their literature over the years. At least crossword puzzles require a little more brain power than asking a question and reading an answer verbatim from a paragraph.

I also remember always liking a column called Watching the World, even as a child. I don't remember what publication it was in, maybe the Kingdom Ministry.

If you compare any Watching the World column with the archives from the New York Times, it is very evident that all of their information came from the NYT newspapers (and so did many of their anecdotes used in old talks).

• floridaborn
    floridaborn

I loved those crossword puzzles. You had to get the word from the scripture

• Dubfounded
    Dubfounded

We were allowed to one once as a family study. It was the best family study we ever had! But obviously too much fun and that was put a stop too!

• bsmart
    bsmart

I remember Watching the World, it was in the back of the Awake. It was the first thing I read, I liked the Awake; the WT not so much. It was in the 60's for sure, I left in the early 70s.

• Simon
    Simon

3 down, supreme being who we all must worship:

D-O-G

Nailed it.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Thanks bsmart for remembering the publication. I must have liked the Awake a lot better than the Watchtower, too.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

The crossword puzzle got nixed when they found out it was linked to cross worship. Demonized!

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I don't remember crossword puzzles but "Watching the World" was probably the only part of the magazines I liked until I realized that they only featured news that fit their agenda.

They used to love news that discredited other religions, especially the Catholic church. The only time they ever said anything positive about anyone from another religion was when one of their leaders said something good about JW's such as " I wish we could get our parishioners to go from door to door like Jehovah's Witnesses do".

I always got the feeling that they were delighted to find awful bits of news to present. It really should have been called " A Negative Look At the World"

• tiki
    tiki

Yup....they didn't last long though...they were pretty lame....

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

I found some old Awake magazines and was shocked about the politic articles in it.

G.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit