The Craziness of an Average Bible Study

by Number 6 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Number 6
    Number 6

Last week I posted a thread asking about who knew any "real anointed" and got some cracking replies.

That got me to thinking, as someone brought up in the 70's and 80's in the Watchtower religion, my experience of bible studeis in their homes and those who made it to the hall were mostly batshit crazy or at least people with some serious quirks.

I'll relate a few, none of whose names I remember with any clarity.

In our cong we had an older couple who were from London, but who had been in the 1950's in the circuit work in the mid west USA. They brought along some woman one night they had started a study with who told everyone cheerfully she was a recovering alcoholic and this was her cure (coming to the meetings). This went on for a few weeks until one night they brought her to the memorial and she was royally pissed, and I mean barely able to stand; and went up to the platform table and necked some wine. Looking back this poor woman was in serious need of professional help and the last thing she needed was the local cong dispensing their WT wisdom as a cure for alcoholism.

She stopped coming after a few months and I have no idea what happened to her. I hope for her sake she got the help she needed.

Another time I went to an older mans house with an elder who had started a bible study and this guy was telling us that the instructions for building a time machine were buried in the bible. He was studying with various religions to see if he could find the key to how to do it. What amazed me was that this elder actually entertained him! Another one that didnt make the grade.

A final one was back in the 70's my mother started a study with what appeared to be a relativley stable woman of her own age who for some reason couldnt say the name Jehovah and out of the "Live Forever" book cut out all the reference to the name. Needless to say another one who never got to baptism.

My point is that of all the hundreds if not thousand of studies that went on in the hall I attended over a 20 year period, perhaps only a dozen tops made it to full bona fide witnesses. The majority of converts were brought ups.

My take on it is also that going door to door, the JW's only seriously seem to engage in people with personality disorders or very needy people just looking for company but who by the nature of their personality defects, never would be ideal witness candidtates.

I'd be interested to hear you experiences...

• Ding
    Ding

What would really be shocking at a WT "home Bible study" would be actually studying the Bible...

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

In the past 20 or 30 years i can remember only 3 "normal " people, a couple who came in, their children didnt stay in, and a young single man. The others are mentally off or were fairly normal but coerced by wives, usually after the wife is reinstated.

• fulano
    fulano

It makes sense. If you are happy, ok in your upper room, have friends..who even would listen to someone at your door in a suit trying to sell booklets.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

This highlights what's been stated here. There were a couple who started attending meetings after been contacted in the door to door ministry. In their 30s, upper middle class. He owned his own construction business, while the wife was a team leader in a government department. These were a lovely couple that any organisation would of been proud to had. Needless say, looking back, I wonder what attracted them to the JWs. Anyway, after a couple of months they told me one night that they were going to visit a cousin and tell him what they were learning in the hall, of which I never saw them again after that. After I left the JWs I happened to see this couple in the street, so I asked them as to what stopped them attending meetings. Turns out they did visit their cousin who google searched the JWs, and the rest is history. Game over. In my experience anyone with any brains never stays, and for good reason.

• Ding
    Ding

I was impressed by JWs' dedication when they came to my door, as well as by their willingness to answer my questions.

I didn't know they thought they had to do it in order to avoid annihilation.

Nor did I know that the study would quickly transition from them answering my questions to me answering the WT's questions... They handled that so well it was only years later that I realized what had happened to me.

Looking back, I don't think I was stupid.

I was too naive and trusting.

The study conductors were sincere, I think. Who was it -- Ray Franz? -- who said "we were victims of victims"?

• bamse
    bamse

Ed Dunlap

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello everyone,

an interesting post. Ding made an excellent point :

"study would quickly transition from them answering my questions to me answering the WT's questions" Very true indeed.

Allow me to complete the title of the post

“ The Craziness and the Hidden rocks of an Average Bible Study”.

I am not alone in beeing convinced of the importance that every ' baptism candidate' in the Jehovah's Witnesses organization, should be aware of the Legalistic and Judicial aspects of his/her future in the Jws organization. Allo me to explain:

In the early 90's “brother “ Philip Brumley, legal Counsel for the WTBS Inc. dealt with the subject of the WTBS Inc. ***legal right *** to disfellowship a member of any of the Jehovah's Witnesses congregations.

• Quote:

“I represent the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc., the parent organisation of the congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses throughout the United States.

C. Relation between the Congregations and its members.

It is axiomatic that the essence of the relationship of a religious society with its members is held by the courts to be the agreements of the parties, and generally, a profession of faith, adherence to the doctrine of the religious society and submission to its government.

76 C.J.S. Religious Societies 11 (1952).

A party having voluntarily assented to become a member of a congregation thereby nsubjects himself or herself to the existing rules and procedures of said congregation and cannot deny their existence.

All who unite themselves to such a voluntary religious organisation do so with the implied consent to this government and are bound submit to it?"

• end of Quote

• Quite strong, legalistic words which call for some observations:

• °°° Many years ago the term " religious, religion" etc. was referred exclusively to the false " worship "?.but today the recognition of " beeing an organized religion " brings, in many countries?numerous a d v a n t a g e s !

• All these ' well couched ' words/expressions but where is Jehovah, and where is Jesus Christ in the matter etc.?

• This kind of material/informations, does not appear in any of the WTBS Inc. publications avalaible at the Kingdom Hall, including the ' secret' manual for elders only .

Although clear instructions, about the procedure, in the case of a ' prospective baptism candidate' are given in Watchtower articles like the following one:

• *** w96 1/15 17 Jehovah's Sheep Need Tender Care

9 As an unbaptized publisher progresses spiritually, he may make a dedication to God in prayer and want to be baptized. (Compare Mark 1:9-11.) He should make his desire for baptism known to the congregation?s presiding overseer, who will arrange for elders to review with the publisher the questions on pages 175 to 218 of Organized to Accomplish Our Ministry.

The four parts into which the questions are divided may be covered in three sessions by three different elders if possible.

If they agree that the unbaptized publisher has a reasonable understanding of Bible teachings and qualifies in other ways, they will tell him that he may be baptized. As a result of his dedication and baptism, he becomes “markeed” for salvation.”Ezekiel 9:4-6.

• *** w89 1/15 17 How Baptism Can Save Us

9 Jehovah?s Witnesses do not follow unscriptural writings, such as that just quoted, but elders do hold discussions with those desiring to be baptized.

Why? To make sure that these persons are believers who meet divine requirements and who have made a dedication to Jehovah. (Acts 4:4; 18:8; 2 Thessalonians 3:2)

Discussing questions in the book Organized to Accomplish Our Ministry helps to determine whether a person qualifies for baptism.

• *** w88 6/15 28 Becoming an Ordained Minister-God's Way

To help the new believer further, Christian elders arrange to meet with him and spend time reviewing the basic teachings of the Bible. This, for one thing, assures the elders that the prospective Christian has acquired an accurate knowledge of God's purposes.

• In conclusion at which moment the " candidate for baptism " is told of the full implications derived from - becoming a baptized member " ?

• At which moment the " candidate for baptism " is told of the full impact of what happens in case - in the future - the baptized person should be guilty of a 'serious sin' and the body of elders, through the action of a 'judicialcommittee, would take any kind of action against him/her.

Does the baptism candidate fully understand the implication and the meaning of a 'judicial committee'?

• They need to know – be made aware - that:

• *** In all judicial proceedings, in the JW's congregations there are

no public trials, only 3 (or more elders), the accused one, and for only part of the time, any witnesses.

• *** No one else is allowed to hear what is said.

*** The witnesses are not required to testify publicly.

• *** Contrary to the standard procedure used in any of the nation's courts, where to preserve/safeguard the integrity of the event and eliminate any possible misunderstanding or deliberate mis-representation of the testimony

given, stenographers are employed for the transcription and/or the recording of all the judicial proceedings in all JW's judicial proceeding this is strictly forbidden.

Furthermore, the 'baptismcandidate' has been informed and is fully aware of all the possible implication and the consequences of a judicial decision toward himself/herself, his/her family, close friends, members of the congregation, in case of a - far reaching - decision should be taken by the body of elders?

i..e. shunning, disfellowhipping .-

• All this should be clearly explained , well before the 'bible student' begins to ' prepare ' for baptism. Obviously such explanation should not be made in 'a couple of words', but in such a manner which would rule out any possible misunderstanding concerning the practical implications and consequences of becoming affiliated with:

" the theocratic organization of Jehovah's Witnesses and his submission to it. "

Therefore he/she should well known what does it mean in real life, for any Jehovah's Witnesses to be: " shunned " or " disfellowshipped " or "dissociated "!

*** w88 11/15 17 Helping Others to Worship God

9 The two elders will inform the student that when he qualifies for and shares in the field service, he may turn in a field service report and a Congregation?s Publisher Record card will be made out in his name.

This will demonstrate his affiliation with the theocratic organization of Jehovah?s Witnesses and his submission to it. (This would also be true of all others turning in field service reports.)

Final questionn oes the " bible s t u d e n t " understand, grasps the implication of the WTBS Inc. 3 key words :

• *** A F F I L I A T I O N

*** S U B M I S S I O N

***O R G A N I Z A T I O N

Hoping that this could be useful,

Greetings, JC Mac Hislopp

• dozy
    dozy

For the last 20 years or so that I was a JW I also don't really remember anyone who could be regarded as "stable" actually proceeding to baptism other than relatives of JWs. The (very) few that came along always seemed to have some kind of issues.

One thing I did notice was that quite often the studies people had were also being called on by the Mormons and / or other Christian groups that did outreach programs. The impression I got was that this was the same small pool of people who tended to be very needy , often with very few friends and somewhat social pariahs who were delighted when someone would take an interest in them. Often when the study got to the point that they needed to show some commitment ( such as going to the meetings regularly ) the study was stopped , either by the publisher or by the individual.

When I was pioneering , I had a study for about five years with a widowed older guy - it developed from a long term magazine route. We used to have interesting chats - the guy had a fascinating background with the British army and had been badly injured and invalided in the Suez campaign of 1956.He didn't have any friends and his family very rarely saw him as they lived far away and weren't really interested in him.

I would bring him to the Memorial and an occasional special talk etc but otherwise he wouldn't go to the meetings. I was kind of aware that he would never become a JW but it was more of a social call and easy time for me , especially during the winter. It also gave me a bit of kudos in the congregation and I dined out on the fact that I had a study for much of this time! I think a lot of bible studies are on this basis , especially for pioneers desperate to get their time in. When I stopped pioneering I just downgraded it to a monthly Sunday visit with the magazines and eventually he was hospitalised and the call fizzled out. I still miss our chats though.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I remember a few.

On guy who used to think you could ask god a question then flip open the bible at a random page and stick a pin it and it’d give you the answer. I remember he used to wear a shirt and tie and a leather waistcoat to the KH.

A man and woman who, despite being married, live in separate houses but turn up to the meetings together. She would only wear clothes from charity shops and used to take things out of rubbish tips and hoard them in her house. I always felt sorry for her husband. He seemed a nice decent bloke but obviously was stuck with her.

One guy was studying and after a while claimed he was anointed (not even baptized). This progressed to him claiming to be Jesus brother, then Jesus himself. Last I heard he was claiming to be part of “the godhead” and had special powers. I really hope he’s still attending.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit