Interesting comment at circuit assembly demo homosexuality

by poopie 16 Replies latest jw friends

• poopie
    poopie

Demo talking about view of girls comeing out as lesbian

Comment was we respect lesbians. But I was thinking some do not respect a person enough to speak to them at kh if there df wow.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

They don't respect heterosexuals who choose not to believe their crap. Why on Earth will anyone believe that they respect lesbians?

• schnell
    schnell
    Would they still respect her if she started coming to meetings with her wife?
  • Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Tony(AM#3) Morris the 3rd is a total homophobe that hates tight pants so Yes they hate gays and feel they are conspiring to get people away from Jehovah's clutches by making more eye candy in the fashion industry in ball hugging tight pants market that seduces Jehovah's worshippers from the Truth.

• jambon1
    jambon1

Tony Morris is absolutely gagging on the chutney ferret.

Protests too much, imo.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

All i can say is, i remember the KH of the 1980s and 90s. There were many older ones in the congregation that were repulsed by even the mention of homosexuals. My mother, to this day, says "eurghhh!" if you mention a gay person you know.

One elder wouldn't even let you use the word "gay". He said "because it's a word they like". Instead he'd have you use a word they didn't like (not from the platform though, this was one-and-one). I remember him answering up in a Watchtower discussion back in the early 90s and saying "in Moses day, we wouldn't show tolerance... we'd stone them" and no one batted an eye.

Demo's like this are a huge sign that this religion is trying to give a squeaky clean image and hide their homophobic past literature.

• jambon1
    jambon1

In all seriousness I would imagine that this will be a massive factor in young JW's feeling more and more isolated in their out of date viewpoints.

EVERYONE I know now accepts homosexuality. Kids are out at school. Famous people are out the closet and embraced.

If I were a young JW I'd feel really out of sink with the rest of society.

Looking down on or even simply 'not agreeing' with a subject or a set of people that you are completely ignorant about anyway is just silly, out of date and bigoted.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Statements like this are less a message to those outside than indoctrination for those inside, a veneer to make dubs think they are actually tolerant of diversity. Very few people outside the organisation even know what JWs think less care about reading some statement online. The people who care about these things are inside and want to believe they are tolerant and the gap between their views and the rest of society is far less than it really is.

The reality is that when push comes to shove if you are gay then you will never be accepted unless you (a) suppress your sexuality and (b) be a Witness. It's the same as any so called tolerant Islamist believer claiming that all people are equal. There is no fence to sit on. If pushed on the subject then they have to accept that Muslims are OK and infidels are exactly that.

For Witnesses it is ultimately a black and white issue. Any veneer of tolerance peels away in seconds as soon as a person lives their life as they wish.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

After joining this forum I have wondered a lot about my conversations with the "Elder". When we first met I made it very clear knowing he was religious and how religious people can sometimes be, I said "I do not ever want to hear your views on the gay community, I am not gay but I am very active in the gay community. If you are not ok with this we need to part company now."

We or I talked a lot about the gay community because I had a lot of gay dads and the majority of my clients were gay. So a lot of the conversations with the "Elder" included things that went on with me and gay men. He never objected to these conversations and seemed to clearly understand why I have a deep love for friends, they were there when my mother and sister never were.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    jambon1 - "If I were a young JW, I'd feel really out of sync with the rest of society."

The WT leadership would tout that as a good thing.

Of course, it's much easier for them. They rarely have to engage in actual interaction with said society.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit