Why were 'LARGE GATHERINGS' bad?????????? when they sounded so good.

by BLISSISIGNORANCE 17 Replies latest jw friends

• amac
    amac

I've been to many large parties. Occassionally some bad things happened, but most of it was just drunkenness. I've even thrown some large parties where we served alcohol, but we'd always check IDs at the door and if youngsters drank, I could just say well they didn't get a stamp from us so they must have had their own, probably got it from their parents house, so you may want to talk to them.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I heard the talks too, as they were given at times around here, but I never was at one of tehse troublesome gatherings either. Obviously, I'm not the one to stir things up.

This area was a problem for us to comprehend, because as so-called Christians, we were supposed to get together and enjoy fellowship. And, there could be no real rule on what was "large" though I'm sure some CO's and elders were more than happy to dictate size.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    We always finished up playing postman's knock. Eventually, someone grassed, and I was made to promise never to play postman's knock again.

E-man, errr...can you translate that into American?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    We always finished up playing postman's knock. Eventually, someone grassed, and I was made to promise never to play postman's knock again.

E-man, errr...can you translate that into American?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Now Bliss, was it only four????

Anyway, to the topic.....large gatherings - now that was an elder's nightmare!!

Why were they frowned on? I guess in hindsight it has to do with control. The Borg says things like "someone has to be in control", "you have to be up early the next morning for witnessing", and so on.

It seems to me that Dubs operate in a world governed by rules. What I mean is, they only feel comfortable if they are following the Borg's guidelines for whatever. "Look it up in the Index", "Ask the elders" are such common expressions amongst the R&F.

One of the prohibitions was on the matter of drink. The WTS instructs that if alcoholic beverages are served at a social event, they should be closely supervised i.e. don't give anyone "too much" (whatever that is), and don't serve children. That sounds fair enough, yet the Borg uses it as a means of "worldly" bashing and to assert their edict that there must be a responsible person in charge. I also think that there's a hidden message in it; they mean that the elders should be in control.

I compare this with non-dub social occasions I've attended in recent years. Take one just the other week. It was a birthday party held in a nearby town, in a church hall. Drinks of all sorts were set out on a large table to which anybody had access. No-one over-indulged. But no-one was in charge, no-one was "responsible" for the table.

I've found this to be the case in general where people enjoy real freedom. They don't need the rules to tell them what to do. They don't have elders as spiritual policeman watching over them. They don't need it. They're able to think for themselves. Mrs Ozzie and I have been to many, many social events over the past few years and we have never seen anyone drunk. Never. That's not to say it doesn't happen. We're not that naive. But it demonstrates to us the great difference that living in freedom brings.

Incidentally, I think this text is interesting:

"Not that we are the masters over your faith, but we are fellow workers for your joy, for it is by faith that you are standing" - 2 Corinthians 1:24 (NWT)

And how about this:

"Who are you to judge the house servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for Jehovah can make him stand." - Romans 14:4 (NWT)

Cheers, Ozzie

• kelpie
    kelpie

Good thread bliss...

I remember a camping trip where everyone got drunk.. My sister and I got a "guilty conscience" and left.. Mind you, there was an elder there and his kids where the drunkest.....

The tamworth crowd where always getting in trouble for rowdy parties... gossip flew around the ciruit when one of the elders sons was supposed to do a part on an assembly and then got kicked off because of one of the parties..

makes me laugh now but back then I felt shock that a good christian could do that... amzaing now how times change..

first thing i did when i got with rick was get drunk cause i was always the good girl and never drank too much before.. much different now.

kelps (of the loves red wine class)

*wondering why she wasn't invited to the wine drinking night with bliss and ozzie *

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

oh kelpie.................don't be like that. i was afraid the gathering might be too big for me to handle, i mean, we are talking big bottles of shiraz. i didn't want to be in trouble because of things getting out of hand, look at the kind of gatherings jws have. and to have 6-8 xjws made me nervous...........LOL.

don't worry, you'll be over to taste the wine too. can you drink at the moment mum?

speak to you this weekend ok.

cheers,

bliss

• kelpie
    kelpie

Its ok bliss

I was just stirring you both....

the doctor said it is alright to drink one or two glasses of wine a week....

I must admit, im a pretty scary person to meet for the first time.. i dont blame you for thinking things could get out of control. especially if rick was there. he would be asking everyone to have a 3some with him.

LOL

talk soon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit