Question about 1940s Watchtower history

by slimboyfat 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I was studying this fascinating composite graph of JW growth. Lots of interesting things there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Jehovah%27s_Witnesses#/media/File%3AJWStats1931-2015.png

A few things:

1. The growth trend slows noticably around 1997 and never recovers. This is just two years after the old generation teaching was dropped.

2. In the grand scheme of things the 1975 failure had a small but noticeable impact on growth lasting three or four years.

3. The Memorial attendance figure is much more volatile than the publisher figure. It has been pretty flat for the past few years. But it went through flat periods before around 1991 and 2002. It remains to be seen if this is the start of an actual downturn.

4. The anointed are on the rise again. There are as many anointed now as there were in the mid 1950s. However the decline was steep in that period, so in order to equal earlier figures the number would need to climb significantly from here on in.

Which brings me to my question. The most curious thing in this graph to me, that I can't think of a good explanation for, is the rise in the number of anointed in the late 1940s. According to this graph the anointed figures increased from around 1944 to around 1948, despite the fact that the numbers were falling dramatically before and after this brief window of growth. Does anyone have any plausible explanation for this? At first I thought it was just a random blip or something. But it lasted around 4 years, and in the high control Watchtower environment I find it hard to believe this sort of variation would occur for no good reason. There must be some sort of explanation.

• sir82
    sir82

Best guess: There were lots of "anointed" who were not able to be counted during WW2, due to being in concentration camps or in hiding where JWs were under ban.

After the war ended, they wended their way home, back to their congregations, and began partaking again. By 1948 this effect no longer existed.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That was sort of my guess too (now I was thinking about it). Thanks for confirming it. In particular there may have been a lot of "anointed" ones in Germany that only began being included in the figures again after 1945.

It would be interesting to scrutinise the Watchtowers from 1944 to 1948 to see if there is any discussion of this increase in the anointed. I doubt it would pass without comment.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    sfb: According to this graph the anointed figures increased from around 1944 to around 1948, despite the fact that the numbers were falling dramatically before and after this brief window of growth. Does anyone have any plausible explanation for this?

It could have been related to the "changing of the guard" or the amount (and type) of converts following the end of WW2.

Rutherford died in December 1942.

And then the war ended in 1945. Maybe the spike is related to the claim of the WT that there were many prisoners and German SS guards that converted because of the JWs' 'good witness' during the war. The elitism of being selected as a special group to 'reign with Christ' would likely be appealing to an SS officer - all they would have to do is exchange the "1000 year reign of the Third Reich" with the "1000 year reign of Christ".

Ha! How is that for Godwin's Law? Lol! only 2* posts in...

*edit - "3" posts

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

My first thought also is WWII.

I can see someone going into a concentration camp great crowd and coming out annointed.

Other persons that had similiar nightmares no doubt had their own "spiritual experiences" that left them feeling closer to God.

There's no telling what their minds had to do to cope.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think I just had a deja vu moment. I have a feeling I asked this question ten years ago and Leolaia gave the same answer. I'm beginning to wonder if anything I think to ask or say I've already said before.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Leolaia is one smart cookie. I wish she were still around. I'm so glad Birdie is here :-)

SBF, if it is of any comfort, the same thing happens to me after a period of time.

• George One Time
    George One Time

I recall that Germany had the highest number of anointed in the world back then - that is why Satan attacked them, wasn't it?

• freddo
    freddo

Maybe I'm preaching to the choir but it does feel different now. Jaydubyadotorgasm is not bringing an increase, trolley carts are not bringing an increase.

The internet is more widespread and available on handheld devices with all the counter arguments available.

I wonder if there might have been a very small spike in 3rd world and ex Catholic countries for Sept 1st 2014/Aug 31st 2015 (2015 service year) due to a residual effect from all the summer of 2014 hoopla assemblies and a slight retention for that year in the developed world.

Yet the worldwide average figure was only up by a measly 119,321 and the peak to peak figure was only up by 18,560.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

What psychotropic dugs were introduced during that time period? How about PTSD??

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit