How many DFed go back?

by els 16 Replies latest jw friends

• els
    els

My son just got a letter from my mother saying how glad she is that he didn't stay in the army. I told them a month ago that he didn't go to Iraq cause he's still in school. I don't know how to do a link but I posted "Phone call from my sister" on April 3rd. Anyway, somehow she took from that that he's not in anymore. She wrote all this stuff about how she's glad he's not blood guilty or working for Satan. Then she talks about God's government that will get rid of all the other ones and says that I learned about this kingdom and that I still believe it if I would admit it. She says that some have to be disfellowshipped for doing wrong, but most go back because they know it is the truth, and that if I had kept on learning I would know that. So my question is, what percentage of disfellowshipped witnesses actually go back? I'm searching the archives but if anyone has the figures on this it would be great. I am so pissed. My kid's are grownups but they don't need this crap. els

• Swan
    Swan
    but most go back because they know it is the truth

I don't know the statistics, but I would think that most of those who go back go back to associate with their family again.

• mustang
    mustang

Real figures are probably impossible to come by on this. Some speculation that goes back maybe 4 years to old H2O and perhaps was carried on to JWD has it that ~80% of kids growing up "in the troof" leave. Then about 30% of those return. That nets a 50% loss over decades.

Since the I-net "thang" is not quite a decade old, there is probably not a guesstimate developed for this yet.

Also, that includes us "slow faders", DA's and any other odd category, such as the inactive person that attends occasional meetings. So, it is not a pure Df'ing #

And that is a mixed bag of mostly those who want to maintain some family tie. However, such things as 9-11 and wars send a few back, on occasion.

Of course, these figures are based on anecdotes, surveys on discussion boards and some unverifiable rumors about Bethel legends.

Mustang

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

I went back because i was not going to let them squeeze me out. and because i was wrongly df'ed with false witnesses and false charges, because the borg wanted to shut my mouth about my kid's sexual abuse. i was going to go back and make some people squirm in their seats................and they did.

was i clever going back? was it right? was i proud? did i play their game? who knows. fact is while they have authority over us we are still mentally sick in allowing them. so i was sick, now i'm fading and much better thank you very much.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Most that have gone back in my area never really resume the whole jw routine. Many seem to get reinstated, then just fade. They seem to go back mainly to be able to talk to family.

• hippikon
    hippikon

I was told about 1/3 of those disfellowshiped get reinstated.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I agree with other people's posts... most DF victims simply go back for social reasons. My sister is one of them. She now admits to me that she only came back to get reinstated, and then slowly faded to inactivity. Now she's free of the cult but doesn't have the DF label. I simply stopped going and didn't tell the elders anything, so I don't believe they will DF me. Unfortunately, a few of my family members are very strict and have stopped associating with me anyway.

This religion is so f'ed up! The brainwashing is what keeps people inside the religion from seeing anything wrong with resorting to shunning and manipulation to try to force someone to come back to the org. It's so easy to see when you're "weak" or on the outside, though!!!

• onacruse
    onacruse

This is the most specific figure I've come across:

*** w74 8/1 p. 466 Divine Mercy Points the Way Back for Erring Ones ***

Thus, in the United States (where there are now more than half a million Christian witnesses of Jehovah), during the ten-year period from 1963 to 1973, 36,671 persons had to be disfellowshiped for various kinds of serious wrongdoing. Yet, in that same period 14,508 persons were reinstated, accepted back into the congregations owing to their sincere repentance. This is nearly 40 percent of the total.

Craig

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

I have known of some that have returned twice - I mean, how masochistic must those people have been? Talk about gluttons for punishment. Mentally deficient would not be an accurate enough description.

cheeses (just about to hit the sack)

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Onacruse, that figure has to be taken into historical context, because 1975 was coming up like a jail on wheels to the faithful. A lot of DF'd people might have been scared into reinstatement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit