A different viewpoint of "many will come in my name saying I am the Christ"

by truthseeker 13 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Half banana,

Thanks very much for your comment and insights. I will have a look at those books you suggested.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

This from Bibleinfo.com

What Does Christ Mean?

"Christ comes from Christos, a Greek word that means “the anointed one,” or “the chosen one.” The Hebrew word meaning the same thing is Mashiach, or as we know it—Messiah.

Christ Anointed by the Holy Spirit

So Christ is really more a title than it is a name, although the Bible uses it both ways. For example, the Bible often refers to Jesus by name as “Jesus Christ,” just as we do in modern usage (see Matthew 1:1, 18; Mark 1:1; John 1:17; 17:3; Acts 3:6; Romans 3:24, etc.).

But it also speaks of Jesus as “the Christ,” meaning “the anointed one,” the Messiah. When Jesus asked His disciples who they thought He was, Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God” (Matthew 16:16). At Jesus’ interrogation by the Jews just before His crucifixion, the high priest demanded, “Tell us if You are the Christ, the Son of God!” (Matthew 26:63). And Luke records that on one occasion when Jesus cast demons out of individuals, the demons cried out, “ ‘You are the Christ, the Son of God!’ and He [Jesus] rebuking them, did not allow them to speak, for they knew that He was the Christ” (Luke 4:41).

At the beginning of His ministry on earth, Jesus went to the synagogue in Nazareth on the Sabbath and read the Scripture for the day.

Luke says, “And when He had opened the book, He found the place where it was written: ‘The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed; to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.’

Then He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all who were in the synagogue were fixed on Him. And He began to say to them, ‘Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing’ ” (Luke 4:17-21).

Jesus read these words from Isaiah 61, a prophecy of the coming Messiah, and then He said that He was the One to whom this prophecy referred. That He had been anointed to preach the gospel of salvation. That He was the Christ, the anointed One."

As I see it Truthseeker, Jesus was saying that there would be many false teachers claiming to be the Messiah.

I like WakeMe's observation that WT Religion claims to be the Truth. WT leaders actually elevate themselves above Jesus Christ since He can't save anyone who doesn't bow to them. It's not, Come to Jesus and be saved...it's come to God's organization to be saved.

"Come to Jehovah's organization for salvation" - Watchtower 1981 Nov 15 p.212

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Thanks Vanderhoven. It seems the scripture means what is commonly thought.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Truthseeker, seek this wisdom: Jesus dressed himself in mayonnaise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit