Android browser: search and edit don't work.

by Anders Andersen 15 Replies latest forum tech-support

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Hi Simon,

Thanks for maintaining this forum.

I use this site almost exclusively on my Android phone and tablet.

There are 2 annoying issues there:

1. Search doesn't work. I can click in the menu so the search bar pops up, but as soon as I tap the input field to start typing, the menu collapses.
    2. Editing posts doesn't work. Edit button works, post is shown in the edit box, but clicking save doesn't have any result. Clicking cancel does work.

Would be great if those issues can be solved.

I am willing to be provide any info or be beta tester for anything you throw at me.

Haven't tested the forum in non stock browsers yet. Will do that and post results here.

Cheers!

A.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

On Firefox for Android, search has the same problem, but editing works fine.

• FeelingFree
    FeelingFree

I have the same problem on my android. Have tried to search several times but like you say menu collapses.

Thought maybe it was just me!

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss
    Can't search on safari with iPhone 5s. First letter enters in but that's it.
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou
    I had these issues with Android but since I started using CM Browser I've had no problems.
  • disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy
    I'm similar, android devices, chrome browser, edit is OK but search has never worked..
  • Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Nicolaou,

Can you verify search works on CM Browser?

Just tried it, still no luck...

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Just checked again AA. Search works with CM Browser on my Android tablet but not my phone. Sorry, guess that's not what you were hoping for.
  • Simon
    Simon

Thanks, any testing and feedback is always useful - I'd love to have a ton of devices to test with but it's simply not possible but I do use emulators for some of the major platforms.

A few things that factor into whether something is supported ... I'll try and describe my thinking / process to give you a better idea:

I have limited resources, especially for testing. There are way more browser and device combinations than i can directly support. If I were Amazon where 1% of sales would justify investment it would be different but if something works or not for a 1% segment is best-endeavours.

Typically, I try and use major frameworks and libraries / components and increasingly these target what is known as "evergreen browsers". These are browsers that auto-update to the latest versions and tend to follow the standards. Even major vendors and sites are dropping support for older browsers that consume a disproportionate amount of resources to support.

Often a feature is developed for Chrome / FireFox / Safari / New IE and then you spend 3x as long trying to make it semi-work on an older version of IE or an obscure browser. Now that the market share of these browsers has dropped many people are simply dropping support. That means that the number of people using them will crumble as more and more sites simply won't work.

The other thing I factor in is that although a feature may not work for a browser with 1% market share it doesn't follow that means 1% of users of this site can't use it. Often the share for minority browsers is in niche markets (China especially) which isn't represented in our readership. Also, even if 1% of visitors were using that browser it doesn't mean they don't also have access to other browsers that they can use instead.

Web development is currently undergoing a big transformation as more vendors get on board with javascript standardization and new web standards and technologies that affect how sites are built become supported by browser vendors.

I'm working on a new version of the site (ha, I'm always working on a new version) which will change it from a server-side rendered site to a Single Page App with an API - this will make it snappier to use as well as opening the possibility for having installable mobile app versions and different UIs for specific browsers.

In the meantime, I'll do my best to fix any issues if it's minor / easy or make sure compatibility can be built in to the new version.

Thanks again for all the feedback !

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Yup exact same problems here on my android as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit