The new JW Bible

by silas hobbs 17 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Religious sects and their Bible Translations ,(Biased )

The same religious sects and their revised Bible translations (Also biased )

And then their are the New Revised Bible Translations of the previously revised translation of the Bible ?

All done by imperfect humans with no input from any GOD.

And the Bible is supposed to be the WORD OF GOD ?

He remains mute as to which is the right interpretation meaning of his word to this day.

Does God mean what he says ? Does God even say what he means ?

Take your pick with all of the different translations and revisions that mankind offers ,however GOD stays mute .

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    BeDuhn is a religious studies professor at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff. In his book he discusses a number of translations, but he seems to spend an exceptional amount of time defending the NWT against its critics.

How much did wbts pay him for his views, I would like to know? They have done this sort of thing to get awards so why not for a good defence for their so called sword!!

Zing

• Half banana
    Half banana

@niknac, how come you need "salvation"? I have never understood this need. I am not lost and don't need saving.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

BeDuhn may have complimented the NWT in some things, I believe its literalness , that was the old 1984 version. I am going from memory but he also criticised it sharply in other respects eg. The use of Gods name Jehovah in the NT where it is not found in the manuscripts .

The Watchtower soundbite quote of his review would not tell you that.

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

A brief summary is that Professor BeDuhn does not appear to be as unbiased he claims. He also derived his conclusion based on only eight verses which he considered key to detecting theological bias in a translation. He concluded that the New World Translation and the New American Bible (a Catholic translation) were the most accurate in the eight issues on which he critiqued the translations.

I listed a number of examples where New World Translation obviously alters the biblical text to match Jehovah's Witnesses doctrine. That is, the New World Translation does the opposite of what Professor BeDuhn claims makes a good translation.

I also cite evidence (some from a court case) that the translators of the New World Translation were not knowledgeable about the Hebrew and Greek languages. I also list several well-known Greek scholars and translators who did not have kind things to say about the New World Translation.

Oddly enough, the answer you cited discusses the same flaw in the New World Translation that Professor BeDuhn admits exists in his book. Quote taken from this site http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVanswers/2007/11-03b.html

• Giordano
    Giordano

"The New World Bible Translation Committee was formed in 1947.. ........... This committee is said to have been comprised of unnamed members of multinational background.[20]

Former governing body member Raymond Franz listed Nathan H. Knorr, Fredrick W. Franz, Albert D. Schroeder, George D. Gangas, and Milton G. Henschel as members of the translation team...........

Referring to the identified members, evangelical minister Walter Ralston Martin said, "The New World Bible translation committee had no known translators with recognized degrees in Greek or Hebrew exegesis or translation... None of these men had any university education except Franz, who left school after two years, never completing even an undergraduate degree."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World_Translation_of_the_Holy_Scriptures

You can't trust anything the Society claims is truth when it's made up by the Society.

My point of view about Holy books comes from an old saying "God's language is silence. Everything else is a poor translation --Rumiā€¦ "

Works for me.

• Solzhenitsyn
    Solzhenitsyn

Bingo TD.

Look at all the other opinions that have been expressed by Jason BeDuhn. Helps put into perspective what he says about the DubBible.

• niknak
    niknak

@half banana

By your answer, I'm not quite sure what you are expecting as a response. I will say that I believe and even if you don't then I will pray for you and hope that in the time of judgement that God show you exactly what He means. Even now while still in the flesh I hope He reveals it to you. Salvation is the saving from evil. To live in the true form purposed for us by Him who created us. It is a happiness and level that you can only experience and not be put into words. Everyone longs to give a good gift to one they love. If we who are evil know how to give good gifts, how much more great is the gift given to us from our creator who is perfect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit