Why facts fail to reach the faithful, (even the intelligent ones)

by done4good 51 Replies latest jw friends

• done4good
    done4good

The Rebel - done4good " the part of the two sentences lost in the ellipsis is key"

The Rebel, sorry about that, and I apologise if I inadvertently in my post took your comment out of context.

The Rebel.

No offense taken. I just wanted to point out the specific idea I was attempting to convey.

d4g

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Darkknight 757 said, "...To believe that Gods original purpose will be fulfilled seems reasonable if we put our trust in the story of Adam and Eve."

That's the story with the talking snake, right?

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

"That's the story with the talking snake, right?"

Well except for that part. And the part where humans have only been on earth for 6000 years. 😉

The story sounds nice is what I meant to say. Looking at it using just a tad of critical thinking exposes it as fraudulent.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Great post. It answers the question that my wife & I were discussing yesterday. A (former/conditional) JW friend came to mind who is a very smart and successful guy. I asked, Why is he still living the JW delusion? He's smarter than that. He should know better. It has to be because he's afraid of TTATT. He refuses to know the facts. It's too damn scary to examine the evidence.

Doc

Image result for you can't handle the truth

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf

So those that are self actualized, and have the ability to accept fact have reached the pinnacle of Maslow's hierarchy. Certainly those that post here have no trouble accepting the facts with regards to their former belief system, demonstrating a higher level of moral, ethical and intelligent thought and being.

So my acceptance of facts leads me to this question. Why is there are need to convince the stupid that they are wrong?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

facts fail.....

Unlike animals, people buy snake oil all of the time ( thousands of tank loads sold every year to say the least.) Take snake oil for baldness for example, people buy it for 2 reasons, they believe it works, they hope it works for them ignoring the facts.

Your post assumes and concludes too much. There is no logical fallacy in Bible faith. Faith is logic based on solid fact like taking medicine that works. The effact should realize after the length of treatment is completed. Those that have faith take the medicine and wait for it to work. Those that do not, don't buy it.

Facts do not trump other facts and that is the sophistry of your argument assuming that faith is based on belief (not a talking horse) and that the basis for faith can be invalidated with any new facts whatsoever.

• done4good
    done4good

Fisherman - Faith is logic based on solid fact, like taking medicine that works.

Not according to Merriam-Webster.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/faith

Fisherman - Facts do not trump other facts and that is the sophistry of your argument assuming that faith is based on belief (not a talking horse) and if the basis for faith can be invalidate with any new facts whatsoever.

???

d4g

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I believe we are hard wired by evolution to go by out "gut beliefs" rather than objective facts. It may have helped us survive when we had to decide to fight or run from that wolf stalking us, but doesn't serve is well in our increasingly complex society.

I read an actual comment posted bysomeone who thought the idea that the earth was round was just plain silly, because if that were true then tall buildings would be tilted. The earth looked flat to her and her gut feeling that it must actually be flat was not affected by the objective truth, proven by a mountain of evidence. This is an extreme example by a real dim bulb, but it's not far off from things many people believe.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Facts have to be openly sought out for, when people are presented with emotive suggestions which are appealing and are contrived thorough human emotions such as fear, guilt, love and inherent ignorance, fact finding becomes effectually a dangerous endeavor as a posing risk of breaking apart which has already been established and accepted.

The development of Christianity originated was to help in the burdens of the human conditions of living, similar as it is practiced today. For example if in the future sickness and death was to be eliminated , you might very well see Christianity disappear in human practice and adherence.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Ironic.

We've evolved to reject evolution.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit