Are Jehovahs Witnesses a cult?

by GoverningBody 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GoverningBody
    GoverningBody

This question has been presented many times throughout the years. Somewhat recently, there has been much talk surrounding the "BITE method" :

"BITE” stands for Behavior, Information, Thought, and Emotional control.

Some examples were thrown at me, such as the decisions of who we associate with, discouraging any worldy media, encouraging our brothers and sisters to report any of our misbehaviours to the Elders, our rejection of criticism on The Truth, shunning etc.

What do we think about this?

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Welcome to the board! (Bookmarking)

• Biahi
    Biahi

If you want an answer, the answer is yes. A harmful cult.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Just pick up a copy of Steven Hassan’s book, “Combatting Cult Mind Control” and read it. The JW Org is the Poster Child of a cult. They “check every box” on identifying a cult. It cannot be dismissed as coincidence. It is clearly their strategy.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I appreciated this YouTuber's take on Jehovah's Witnesses. Not just that it is a cult, but to what level they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFN9hIpiK3g

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

To be fair, the word "cult" has become somewhat of a loaded pejorative, much like certain racially loaded terms. It might be more productive to use the term "high control group." Because of the loaded nature the word "cult" has taken on, a group's being a "cult" would more likely fall to the 'eye of the beholder,' rather than to any agreed upon definition

Also, regarding the BITE model, various groups, many of which are non-religious in nature, practice some form of the BITE model (more or less so). The military comes to mind. And a number of sub groups within the military are even more controlling, such as various elite style units. There are many ex-military people that regard the 'high-control' of the military to have had a beneficial effect on themselves. And many who have been in elite style units often regard their past with a high degree of pride. I was in such an 'elite' part of the military many years ago. The enforced 'control' during training was far beyond anything the WT does. Yet, one could see a beneficial aspect to it.

Having said all that, I do agree that the WT is indeed a "high control group." And they often practice their "control" in a very sophisticated (and somewhat underhanded) manner, not unlike how communist regimes would do with their populations. The WT seems to have mastered the art of manipulation. And I think their shift to audio/visual presentations will only increase that.

If one presently finds themselves within the WT organization, it is my opinion that much of the control can be lessened by learning to say "yes" or "no" without offering any explanation. (Mt 5:37) Also, learning to have a dismissive attitude towards peer pressure. Much of the WT's control is based on your not being able to do these two things.

If you have to listen to their video presentations, for whatever reason, if you listen from a physical distance so as to not be able to hear the background music they often employ, it will help to be able to accurately analyze what they are saying. Also, listen without watching. These two things eliminate a good part of their manipulative presentation.

• markweatherill
    markweatherill

If their website has a FAQ section that needs to include the question of whether it's a cult or not, that's telling.

In the answer, I recall they state that a cult has one leader, and that proves they aren't one, end of story, checkmate apostates. Surely the 'composite slave' meets that definition, or if not them, then Jehovah, acting through his Spirit-directed organisation?

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Truth. Good video. It also points out muslim as being a danger to everyone.

Bobcat. I have windered about the background music. Of course hypnotism is demonic🙂

Mark. Very much like asking a KKK whether he is racist. The GB definitely fits the definition

We can see the same thinking in climate change, woke, BLM and Kkk, green, both major US political parties.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Are Jw's a cult? Yes! My Best advice is to quietly fade and never look back. They are very harmful and toxic to your life.

• NotBlind
    NotBlind

Sure, they're a cult. They have all the characteristics of one. If you're not sure if you're in a cult, just ask yourself, "How do they treat you when you try to leave?"

That being said, telling JW's they're in a cult is a fruitless endeavor. Like Bobcat said upthread, the word cult is a pejorative and viewed as more of an insult.

Telling someone they're in a cult is like telling someone they're an asshole. It may be true, but by using that word you've closed their mind and ended the conversation.

I've gotten used to telling JW's that their religion is just too demanding and controlling. Their religion is all about take, take, take. But their religion never gives anything back to its followers. That usually gets the point across.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit