Young people becoming atheist

by Jayk 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jayk
    Jayk

This article speaks to me. It talks about kids who tend to become atheist when they're older if they have parents who "talk the talk but dont walk the walk". I'm not calling myself a atheist I consider myself more agnostic. But the bad taste in my mouth started at a young age. Growing up I had very abusive mother (I come from a single family home) and she has been disfellowshipped more times than any other JW I knew who had been. Im just curious if anyone else in the forums search for TTATT started because there parents. Ill include the article I read if anyone is interested https://www.psypost.org/2018/08/how-parents-act-on-their-religious-beliefs-linked-to-the-onset-of-atheism-in-their-children-52058

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Well, that makes sense. If it wasn't my parents who were hypocrites, it was the cult of JWs. It was learning that I had been told so many lies by the cult, including my parents, that I started looking at the Bible itself. After all, it was the basis for everything I had believed. I soon realized that it wasn't credible either. So indirectly my parents had something to do with it, but the reality is that faith is something you have to manufacture and put onto something else, whether that be your parents, religious ideologies, a book, a particular deity, etc.

• Jayk
    Jayk

Personally I didnt look into TTATT until about a year ago. Before that I was just happy to be away besides missing my friends and family. I never considered it a cult or even knew what being labeled a apostate ment. The first family member I felt comfortable asking, considers himself a witness but doesn't regularly attend meetings. I asked "are witnesses look at as a cult?" and he said " dont bring that up to me again or I will stop talking to you". I had clue it was such a touchy subject, come to find out recently one of my great aunts is a complete apostate.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

When you ask someone if they're in a cult and they threaten to never speak to you again if you ever bring up the subject again, they're tipping you off to the fact that they're in a cult.

• Jayk
    Jayk

The cousin who said that isn't even a witness but believes the org is truth if that makes sense. His wife isn't a witness. I think he respects his father and it would be tough for him to swallow the fact his father join a cult because the org is disguised so well. But pointing out the obvious fact youre not supposed to do research into the truth should be a red flag. I told my mom I did my research, but wasn't specific to what I read. I simply stood my ground that there is nothing wrong with looking for answers to what the org is about and how it got started.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

dubstepped

''When you ask someone if they're in a cult and they threaten to never speak to you again if you ever bring up the subject again, they're tipping you off to the fact that they're in a cult.''

That's part of the B.I.T.E. model. Behavior, Information, Thought and Emotion. They all behave, think and display similar emotions, desires and control their sources of information.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit