Annual WT plea for cash etc.

by The Fall Guy 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

I don't know if this topic has ever been covered, but I heard that an elder in a European country rejected a J.W.'s claim that the org asks for stocks & shares in their version (English) of the WT each year. The elder was appalled at the idea (stock market gambling etc.) and said that such a request had never appeared in his version of the WT.

Every November, the org issues this type of statement in the English version of the Watchtower: "Stocks and Bonds: Stocks and bonds may be donated to Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania as an outright gift or Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania may be named as a Transfer on Death beneficiary."

Can anyone confirm that this statement does not appear in WT's in some/all other European languages? I thought 8m JW's got the same info in the same WT's?

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

The Fall Guy: Can anyone confirm that this statement does not appear in WT's in some/all other European languages? I thought 8m JW's got the same info in the same WT's?

I think nowadays the English version is the same everywhere? The issue is in other languages when there ARE differences....

You can check yourself on jworg

Go to the page you want in English ie:

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/watchtower-study-november-2017/generous-person-will-be-blessed/

Then in the top right hand side, select the language you want

Page will reload with the SAME page but in the language you selected

You can then see what it says - and download the print PDF version with the links in the column on the right hand side for that specific language.

(unless it is not published/printed in the language you've selected)

I checked Romanian - and it appears to NOT include 'stocks and bonds', but it DOES include a 'Romanian' specific item regarding about being able to donate 2% of your income tax

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

The point being made is that the European J.W. elder was disturbed at the thought of the WTBTS being involved in stocks and shares, because his Watchtower said no such thing.

• wifibandit
  • darkspilver
    darkspilver

The Fall Guy: The point being made is that the European J.W. elder was disturbed at the thought of the WTBTS being involved in stocks and shares, because his Watchtower said no such thing.

Well, as per my post above, if he's Romanian, their language version of the WT DOESN'T say anything about 'stocks and shares'.

• fulano
    fulano

Which european country???

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

fulano: Which european country???

Quite a few...

My first guess would have been eastern european.... BUT looks like the WT in Finland doesn't include 'stocks and shares' either...

• Bruisedandbleeding12
    Bruisedandbleeding12

......didn’t you mean to say daily plea for cash......

• jwleaks
    jwleaks
    Bruisedandbleeding12 ......didn’t you mean to say daily plea for cash....

Gets my nomination for the monthly "Nu Lite Award for Editorial Adjustment."

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I wonder why stocks and shares are mentioned in some countries but not others?

The elder was appalled at the idea (stock market gambling etc.) and said that such a request had never appeared in his version of the WT.

I imagine that if it did appear...he'd swallow it up like it's god saying it's ok.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit