Oooh, caught a JW colleague telling porkies at work this week.

by nicolaou 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

There's a JW 'sister' at work, lovely girl in her mid twenties. Anyway, on Monday the union (CWU) called a one day strike in support of colleagues and all union members supported the action as far as I'm aware, except the sister.

She claimed it was 'against her religion' to strike. Bare in mind, she's a fee paying member of the union.

Now, a few of my workmates know of my past and asked me if this was really true, that Jehovah's Witnesses aren't allowed to strike.

We'll, I like this girl and I didn't want to make her look silly but what was I supposed to say after I stopped laughing?

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

I'm not aware of any explicit prohibition on striking, but it's consistent with the WT's emphasis on not getting involved with the world and passively enduring hardship. If this girl went on strike she would become more than a JW, she would be a union member and would inevitably start to feel some comraderie with her worldly coworkers. For this reason, I think it is wise of her to abstain. Getting involved with wordly people for any purpose, even a temporary one such as a strike, is just asking to become demon kibble.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

JWs can go on strike, but not picket:

Watchtower 15 February 1961, page 128

Questions From Readers: How should a dedicated Christian Scripturally view labor unions and participation in their activities?

The Scriptures counsel Christians to “provide the right things in the sight of all men.” “Certainly if anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith.” These texts have a bearing on labor unionism, because to obey them it may be necessary to join a labor union. An analogy might be drawn between one’s duties as a member of a labor union and those he has as a citizen of a country. For benefits received from the government the Christian pays taxes; similarly, he could properly pay union dues, since such would in effect be job insurance. There can, therefore, be no objection to a Christian’s merely belonging to a labor union, paying the dues and heeding the call to stop work in the event of a strike.—Rom. 12:17; 1 Tim. 5:8.

However, a Christian should not get involved in union activity to the extent of holding an official position in the union. Nor, in the event of a strike, should he take part in picketing or in other ways agitate for the cause of the strike. Above all, he should not engage in violence in labor disputes, for “a slave of the Lord does not need to fight.” “If possible, as far as it depends upon you, be peaceable with all men.” Just as a Christian is neutral regarding politics and wars of his country, so the union member who is a Christian does not get involved in the governing activities and economic warfare of the union but must remain neutral.—2 Tim. 2:24; Rom. 12:18.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I don't believe the WT has commented about union participation since the 1960s. Over 15 years ago an issue was made about someone in our Cong and their participation in organizing a union and the WT Service Desk gave the advice to "stay clear" of it, as it was a matter of personal conscience.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Considering that she's only 25 or so I hardly think obscure references from fifty year old Watchtowers have motivated her decision to break the strike, the loss of a days pay is more likely.

Whatever the truth is, she now has some work to do in restoring trust with a few colleagues. If money was really tight I know most would've been more sympathetic. No one really believed the religion excuse.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

We'll, I like this girl and I didn't want to make her look silly but what was I supposed to say after I stopped laughing?

You don't stop liking her for standing for your own morals. Keep that in mind.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Awkward. It sucks to be a JW, most are incapable of explaining their stand on anything.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

How do you know she's a fee paying member of the CWU, when I was a JW postman many years ago I opted out of the contribution as was my right.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Here in America, Unions are a good bit different. Businesses where Unions are dug in, in order to work at the company you MUST be in the Union. It's not an "option." The Union won't even let you in the door unless you have connections, are willing to pay up, etc. It's basically blackmail. Unions had their place after the Industrial Revolution, but now here in America, they are like strong-arm mafia. The real reason US Companies are up and moving away to Canada, Mexico, South America, or even Union-optional southern states? Unions and their constant demands for outrageous wages for menial labour, high pension costs (pyramid scheme!) and constant bullshit. I know, I live in York, PA....once home to a mighty Caterpillar plant, and also one of the Harley-Davidson assembly plants. Caterpillar up and LEFT around 1989 after suffering years of strikes and BS from Unions. Left for Tennessee. Harley Davidson has shrunk the York plant to a shell of it's former self, and sub-contracts out tons of work to non-Union shops in the area. Unions today only give a crap about lining their coffers, and to HELL with the Members. When Caterpillar left, it didn't hurt the Union reps and management, not one bit!

The 25-yr old Union member in this story probably values her job over Union BS. She needs to eat, and doesn't buy the Union's propaganda and strong-arm tactics. (the irony!) I'm sure she'll be getting a nice friendly visit from her Union rep anytime now about her lack of support.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    How do you know she's a fee paying member of the CWU

Fair comment WMF. I know for sure she's a member, I just assumed that meant she's paying her sub'.

Wing Commander, joining a Union here is completely optional but if you can't get on board with collective responsibility why join?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit