Long Story of my Life/Experience

by GrownMidget 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Welcome, GrownMidget!

Well, I don't know whether the mental illness comes first and then people are attracted to the religion for stability or the religion causes mental illness. But, I do know there is a lot of mental illness in the JWs.

In my case, there is mental illness in non JW family members. This created a chaotic environment which drew my parent to the religion. But, mental health issues are not cured by religion! So, things were bad in my childhood.

I have also spent time in a psychiatric hospital, but I'm doing very well now. I am glad you were able to get mental health care. I'm in the US and it is very, very expensive. As I read your story I kept thinking, 'How can he afford to keep going to the hospital?' Even with health insurance, my hospitalization cost us a lot of money. It is a constant source of stress for me worrying about getting sick again and being able to afford care. You are so lucky to be able to get all that mental health care! I hope you are still getting after-care and counseling! You need to do it to stay sane. Please make it a priority for yourself!

I, too, grew up as a JW, but I left at age 19. I was disfellowshipped and then reinstated, but immediately quit. I just couldn't imagine living the JW life as an adult. I decided I'd rather be dead than live in paradise with those people!

Then I met my husband and we have been happy together for over 2 decades! It's funny that the story is the same whether in my generation or Giordano's generation or your generation. Find the love of a great partner and life opens up for you!

Best wishes!

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Hello! Thanks for posting your story. That was a heavy read, and you've been through a lot. It's beautiful to see that you've made it through though, and that shows a lot about the type of person that you are. Very inspiring! I recently posted my story too and I hope that sharing was cathartic for you like it was for me. I will likely soon stop visiting here myself. Like you, I too find myself negatively impacted by many of the things that I read on here and elsewhere. Be well, and take care of yourself first. I wish you all the health and happiness in the world. We all deserve it after what we've been through.
  • GrownMidget
    GrownMidget
    I am glad you kept trying up till now and that it has lead you to a better place.
    Thank you! It is great feeling to understand that I am no longer bound by any of the religious dogma.

Welcome to the ranks of the mentally diseased LOL.
    I think I used to think that I should say that to other people.

Well, I don't know whether the mental illness comes first and then people are attracted to the religion for stability or the religion causes mental illness. But, I do know there is a lot of mental illness in the JWs.

In my case, there is mental illness in non JW family members.

I don't think religion itself causes mental illness since many seem to be OK and even find strength from it. Some might even find the rules of the cult protective and if they do then who am I to judge them. I would still argue that for one who is happy, there is 10 who has problems with the way things are done - and not just basic rebellious "this sucks ass, I'm outta here guys", but real problems straight out caused by the cult.

I like to think that war, as one, creates this thing called Posttraumatic stress disorder. In this context I will equate it to evolution for sake of easy understanding as what I mean. When our great-great grandfathers has gone through a traumatic experience and later becomes diagnosed with PTSD, it will lead to abusive and mistreatment of their children, alcohol, drugs and so forth. In return they cause same treatment to their children. It will take many generations of bullying and torture before the wrongdoings of our fathers can be undone and situation is back to normal. Worst case scenario, due to war the cycle is never even broken and your entire family commits suicide because of politics you either had small or nothing to do with to begin with.

In my case there has been mental sickness from my grandparents too, who were not even witnesses. What kind, I have no idea. I just heard people quoting my grandpa saying that "if his mother and father are like this, it's no wonder the son is like that." Based on what my family has told me anything about my father is that he often did crazy stuff. Once during meeting he just quietly snapped while sitting, went outside in a car and crashed it into others on the parking lot.

I'm in the US and it is very, very expensive. As I read your story I kept thinking, 'How can he afford to keep going to the hospital?
    When someone attempted suicide, they are taken to regular hospital first to see if the person is OK before they are sent to psychiatric hospital. Now, to be honest I am not completely sure about the psychiatric hospital, if it is free or not. I sure don't remember anybody ever mentioning money, however I was underage person when all happened (except for the last attempt, where I was given bill). School is free, offering free food so I would think that supporting momentarily one's crisis is too. Psychiatric treatment is not free, but there are agencies helping to cover the expenses.

I will likely soon stop visiting here myself. Like you, I too find myself negatively impacted by many of the things that I read on here and elsewhere.
    Despite if I read or not, I still get outbursts of sadness that later turn into anger. I wouldn't have joined unless it's a must since I really don't want to spend my life dedicated into naming and shaming my old religion. It just seems many people have never even let out their anger, instead they feed on it. It is most likely a survival mechanism that has always happened but in this case it's no longer working for me, thus I want to get things out. Look at a pet, dog or cat, that has their entire lives been mistreated and see how they act even if the most sweetest granny came to give food. It's the only thing they know. They don't know anything else and therefore they must protect themselves to survive.

I feel the stress is so much that it's negatively affecting my life and marriage. Someone posts something negative to get out their pain, it affects you because it reminds you of your own unhealed wounds. Even basic news about witnesses have this same effect on me. Has always had, even when I was in. I used to read news and think that hopefully there is nothing (secretly still wanting there was), and when there was I couldn't resist to read the news because it's technically forbidden.

Thank you all for your messages!
  • KateWild
    KateWild
    Despite if I read or not, I still get outbursts of sadness that later turn into anger. I feel the stress is so much that it's negatively affecting my life and marriage.- GrownMidget

Welcome GrownMidget, thank you for this insightful thread. I am sorry you are still suffering outbursts. I hope you get support and your marriage can be a happy calm relationship with that support.

Mental illness is an awful thing to suffer and has stigma to it. It can be hard to live with, but you are a fine example of someone who has tried to stay positive and is looking for support and a way to deal with your outbursts.

Take very good care GrownMidget

Kate xx

• GrownMidget
    GrownMidget
    Thank you!

It's often hard to know where things are coming. It's sometimes childhood traumas, sometimes religion and sometimes it's both because parents causing trauma using religion and religion causing trauma using God.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    welcome to the site midget. sad life story--although i had to give up after the first 30 minutes.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Welcome. You have taken your next step towards reading these things without anger and sadness. When you find support and friends here and when you are allowed to freely express yourself it's takes time but you will be less sad and angry. It's something you need to go through to have peace.
  • Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

Welcome GrownMidget, I hope you'll find inner peace one day. I've learned that the best place to search for that, is inside yourself... Nobody outside you can 'give' it to you.

And sometimes a break from reading ex-JW stuff can be helpful (but I know from experience that it stays a part of your life when you still have relatives that are JWs, so you'll be drawn back to the ex-JW stuff every now and then, but I try to not let it hit me emotionally what other people experience or have experienced. It's their 'stories', and I've got enough dealing with my own 'stories').

Anyway, I'm glad you decided to take a different road than your father! Well done!

Hugs,
    Bruja

• GrownMidget
    GrownMidget
    You have taken your next step towards reading these things without anger and sadness.
    I remember few years ago after my fading process, when I started to read the critical stuff about the organization, it felt like I'm going to die or something other horrible stuff because apostates and faders are always described as such a negative association. Nothing like that never happened and I am glad I started the process of deprogramming.

I hope you'll find inner peace one day. I've learned that the best place to search for that, is inside yourself... Nobody outside you can 'give' it to you.

I wish I had learned that years ago, while I was still in. Would have saved me a trouble of explaining shit all over again to everybody who I thought might be supportive. Only after fading did I realize that most witnesses are not any more special people than any other group or faithless people. They can actually be much more worse.

I still have some friends who still are with me (not as much, but not shunning in any regard either) despite that I have faded. Family is as well, even my sister and her elder husband. I wish my sister had told me earlier that if you are looking for the acceptance you need from witnesses, you will get disappointed and that sure did happen.

Lucky for me that I am a person who likes to spend most of my time alone, therefore I don't need as much social contacts as other people might. This also had some impact of helping me fade.

Thank you for the comments!

• cha ching
    cha ching

Congrats GrownMidget! I think that one/ many things the WT does to mess with your brain is say, "Wait on Jehovah" and "Don't get mad" and "Vengence is mine" and "Don't talk about the negative"..... when really, it is natural. It helps us solve problems, we interreact, we find solutions, it helps us work through things, right?

Once we get to freely express ourselves, we do not feel repressed. I am so sorry for what happened to you as a child, being forced to the floor, the crazy things (yes, crazy) that adults did to you! Anyone would say, "What the heck is going on here?" and children do not have the power, or the means to escape all of the time.

I am glad you made it!

Spend time with your wife, making her feel special, it will make you feel better every day!

Hugs, cha ching!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit