Had a visit from the JWs this week. I've lived in this house since 2012 and this is the first time, they have reached me at home - quite the urgent work.
Anyway, i was home on Saturday morning and around 10am, there was a knock. I had a feeling it would be them. I looked outside and saw an old lady along with a young girl maybe around 12 or 13 years of age. I was frankly disappointed because I knew I wasn't going to be able to reason with these two, or at least have an intelligent discourse. In any case i opened the door and engaged them. What follows is a summary of the interaction, if you are curious:
Old lady: Hello, we are talking to our neighbors, yadda yadda, Awake magazine about changing your habits, yadda yadda, very useful, yadda yadda, I would like to leave this with you yadda yadda, based on the bible and you can ready in your own bible ( i noticed that she didn't even pull out the Watchtower mag, but just the Awake. I guess the feeling is that since the Awake magazine is about relatable subjects, it has better acceptance)
me: hmm read it with my bible? Why should I believe in the bible instead of any of the other holy books? After all the only reason you believe in the bible is because you were born in the West. Had you been born in other parts of the world you would not believe in it.
( at this point she looked at me as if I was an Alien. I guess she was hoping for the usual rejection, or the quick take of the magazine and "see you later". No such luck this time)
Young girl: I think you need to look at JW.org
Old lady: Well, i guess you have to compare between the holy books and see which one is the best
Me: Ah i see. Have you done that? (blank stare and slight murmur as it was obvious the answer was no). You see, i've tried to compare and i've found that none of them are truthful or logic.
Old lady: Oh you have?
Me: Yes for example, the bible is full of contradictions, illogical things, and it doesn't agree with science.
Old lady: Yes it does agree with science. For example the bible mentions the world was round before humans even knew. ( i knew already she would say this, they always do)
Me: well it doesn't exactly say that.
Old lady: Yes it says the earth was a sphere.
Me: No, it says the earth was a circle, not a sphere, we can read it together if you want. And there is a difference here, because at that time humans believed in the Flat Earth theory ( explained to her what it is, and this went right over her head). They believed it was a flat circular disk, and it makes sense that the bible says that the devil took jesus to the highest mountain to look at all kingdoms of the earth - this is not possible if the earth is a sphere. Also the bible doesn't agree with evolution.
Old lady: Evolution? Oh please. ( she made a face like I was talking about a unicorn). God created us.
Me: How do you know. Science has shown us for example that Adam and Eve could not have happened. One of the way is through genetics. Do you know genetics is?
Old lady: yes of course i know.
Me: So science
has shown us that the genetic variety that exists today could not have
bottleneck up to 2 people 6,000 years ago for example. Simply not
possible. (again right over her head, not even an attempt to disprove
Old lady: We were created. Where are the species that are between the species we know today ( lol..i know, stupid)
Me: All of the species alive today are transitioning to other species. (gave her a very high level explanation of evolution)
Old lady: (shaking her head) Ahh come on. When was the last time you saw someone that looked one way, and then start to look like a different type of human? ( lol..i know.. even more stupid that her previous comments)
Me: These things happen over millions of year, through very gradual changes.
(Both young and old lady shaking their heads)
Old lady: Well i guess we'll just agree to disagree you know. ( Slowly turning as if signaling she was about the move on)
Me: Yes that's fine. One last thing before you go. Once you leave and go knocking on other people's doors, about 90% of them won't open the door, the other 10% will immediately say they are not interested. This was your chance to talk to someone today for a few minutes, but the fact is that you don't have the evidence to support your claims, so you choose to retreat.
Old lady: Well, there is always someone who will be willing to listen we thing.
And off they went to stare at closed doors and chit chat about their lives. I hope that the next set of dubs will at least be able to have an intelligent conversation.