Do you know someone who is going to the Elders school 2017, in any country?

by defender of truth 6 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

sp74bb

Hello to all,

An informant in Spanish forum, active elder in a congregation in Madrid (Spain) has posted new info regarding Elders School 2017. Important changes are to be done for "child" or sexual abuses. https://abusostj.vbulletin.net/forum/main-forum/audiencias-judiciales/5506-escuela-de-ancianos-2017

Doing a summary:

- New changes are being check by the lawyers at this moment.
    - Changes are held in order to fulfill European laws.
    - Once exposed to a sexual abuse, when the judicial committee starts, the ones present must listened and read a statement stating that applying the state law of the country the victims can report to the authorities.
    - The victim might be asked to sign a statement according he/she is aware of the possibility to report to the authorities.
    - The signed statement or the info that the victim can report to the authorities will be held inside the "Do not destroy" envelope.

www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5660066994716672/elders-school-2017-new-instructions-handle-sexual-abuses

Many thanks to sp74bb.

Will these directions be given at all Elder schools in 2017?

If you know of anyone who is attending this school, or you will be yourself, please can you post on this thread?

Just to say that you know someone who is going to the school, and in what country.

We would all really appreciate it if you could report back with any details.

I am wondering if this will be a worldwide action.

(Please bump this to the top occasionally).

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I don't know (can't care less either). However,

The victim might be asked to sign a statement according he/she is aware of the possibility to report to the authorities.

They are just covering their backs. They expect a child who has been sexually molested to sign a statement about the "possibility" of going to the authority. Sounds like holding the victim responsible. They are so disgusting.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth
    I don't know (can't care less either).

Hello scratchme.

I agree with the rest of what you said, but that first sentence is an unusual response.

I care what instructions that elders are being given, as to how to handle sexual abuse cases.

I suspect these might not be the only changes. Also, unless this can be verified by someone who has been to the school,there may be some inaccuracy. You never know. (Not that I am suggesting I don't believe it, it is covering them legally, as Scratchme said. Which is typical behaviour for this Org. There is nothing there to show concern for the victim..)

I hope that you have never been through a 'elders inquisition' after an attack, or that it has happened a member of your family, but I know how stressful they can be. Putting a form in front of someone to sign after they have been discussing such painful and traumatic things, in order to cover themselves from being sued, is rather callous in my view.

In my view, how these cases are going to be handled is important.

How victims are treated is important.

I want to know if this will be a Worldwide practice. Then we can start to get the word out there..

I wonder what the ARC would think of this?

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

I wonder how much of this will be Spain specific...

They did issue special letters about two months ago:

October 3, 2016 TO THE BODIES OF ELDERS Re: Minors

3 de octubre de 2016 A LOS CUERPOS DE ANCIANOS Asunto: Menores de edad

Therefore, it is not necessary that the elders obtain favorable certification from the Central Registry of Sexual Delinquents to continue performing their duties in the congregation.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

"the authorities are taking ever more strict precautions to assure the protection of minors." That's what the GB should have been doing all along, but no. All they do is cover their ass.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Seems to me they are doing everything to skirt around the law. The law would require people like the elders to get verified they are not sex offenders, yet, here they are saying to just make sure "someone else is there". I'm sure the pedophiles will adhere to their 'suggestions'.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Sp74bb has very kindly agreed to post a link to this thread on the Spanish forum.

If anyone reading this is interested in how widespread this directive could be, and what will be said at the school regarding abuse cases, please can you post a link to this thread on social media/exjw forums of any language?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit