U.S. says Canada cares too much about liberties

by ashitaka 29 Replies latest jw friends

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Well, I've been paranoid of my own country for a long time, but this just makes me a little more nervous. Now, our neighboring countries must live by America's rules? I could be reading too much into this, but Canada is its own sovereign nation, and they don't have to live by America's rules just because they are our neighbors. ash U.S. says Canada cares too much about liberties Terrorism report also says too little spent on police

Jim Bronskill, with files from Janice Tibbetts
    The Ottawa Citizen

Thursday, May 01, 2003

ADVERTISEMENT

The United States says the lack of funding for police and restrictive privacy legislation in Canada are frustrating probes of political extremists.

The comments in an annual report on international terrorism were the latest critical remarks from the U.S. apparently aimed at prodding Canada to bring its security measures in line.

The State Department report on global terrorism for 2002 suggests that while Canada has been helpful in the fight against terrorism, it doesn't spend enough on policing and places too much emphasis on civil liberties.

It says "some U.S. law enforcement officers have expressed concern" about Canadian privacy laws.

The U.S. officers feel those laws, as well as funding levels for law enforcement, "inhibit a fuller and more timely exchange of information and response to requests for assistance," the report says.

"Also, Canadian laws and regulations intended to protect Canadian citizens and landed immigrants from government intrusion sometimes limit the depth of investigations."

Under the U.S.-Canada Terrorist Interdiction Program, known as TIP, Canada records about one "hit" of known or suspected terrorists a week from the State Department's visa lookout list. The initiative involves software that enhances the ability of border officials to collect, compare and analyse traveller data, allowing them to identify and track people of interest.

Spokesmen for the Solicitor General's Department were not available to comment on the report.

The U.S. observations come amid heightened tension between the two countries following Washington's public expression of disappointment that Canadian forces did not join the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

In releasing the report, U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell said although there has been great progress in the last year, terrorism still "casts its grim shadow" across the globe.

The number of terrorist attacks dropped to 199 in 2002 from 355 the previous year. Still, Mr. Powell noted, assaults occurred in every region of the world, claiming 725 lives. Terrorist bombings in Bali last fall killed about 200 people from two dozen countries, including Canada.

Despite the report's criticism of certain Canadian practices, it included effusive praise for the federal government's overall efforts to work with the U.S. in the fight against extrem-ism, calling the relationship "a model for bilateral co-operation on counter-terrorism issues."

Seven American law-enforcement agencies have posted officers to Ottawa and other Canadian cities, while a number of Canadian personnel are assigned to the U.S.

The report also notes Canada's passage of anti-terrorism legislation, its move to create a formal list of terrorist organizations and participation in various international anti-crime forums.

The comments follow State Department remarks in a March report on narcotics and money laundering that urged Canada to ensure privacy protection measures do not prevent the timely sharing of financial information that might be critical to police investigations.

The same report took issue with Canada's move to make possession of small amounts of marijuana a ticketing offence rather than a criminal one. "This will not only harm Canadian society, but have consequences for the United States as well," the report said.

Justice Minister Martin Cauchon reiterated yesterday that legislation to decriminalize marijuana will be tabled soon, while Canadian Alliance Leader Stephen Harper said the move would inflame tensions with the U.S.

"Now would not be the time to irritate trade relations and we've already had plenty of warning that this would do just that."

© Copyright 2003 The Ottawa Citizen

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

"You see that guy with the blond hair, Jaaahn?
    He'll be at the ritual tonight."

• Aztec
    Aztec

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English > will be the official language of the EU rather than German which was the > other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government > conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has > accepted a 5 year phase-in plan that would be known as "Euro-English". > > In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will = > make > the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour = > of > the"k". This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have 1 less > letter. > There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the > troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like > "fotograf" 20% shorter. > > In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be ekspekted to > reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments > will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a > deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the > silent "e"s in the language is disgraseful, and they should go away. > > By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" > with "z" and "w" with "v". During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be > dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid > to > ozer kombinations of leters. > > After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no = > mor > trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. Ze > drem vil finali kum tru! And zen ve vil tak over ze vorld!

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Tom, view this site. I happen to come across it as I was cruising the net.

http://www.capitol-college.edu/troxler/blackhat/111402_text.html

Guest 77

• Aztec
    Aztec

Sorry about the formatting...I hate Mozilla!!!!!! ~Aztec

• Pleasuredome
  • Aztec
    Aztec

Aztek...LOL! J6, I liked that article. My favorite part: In a private letter to Admiral Dewey, Roosevelt explained that he did not want the world to perceive America as going about with a chip on its shoulder. He wrote to Dewey: “we are a bigger people than that.” ...I knew there was a reason Theodore Rooseveldt was my favorite president! :) And yes, my favorite president was a Republican. :p ~Aztec

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Tom, most likely your aware of the 'Patriot Act' if not, here's a run down.

http://repealmow.com/support/

I loved reading part 3, page seven, paragraph two, "...the following is a profile of a 'domestic terrorists'...

"Someone who defends the US Constitution against the federal government and the United Nations".

"Someone who asks the law enforcement officer to cite his authority for making a stop".

"Someone who makes numerous references to the U.S. Constitution".

"Someone who says that driving is a 'right' and not a 'privilege."

"Someone who attempts to 'police the police.."

Guest 77

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Tom, I made an error in my typing. Another site I found.

http://repealnow.com/support/

Guest 77

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

The US needs to mind it's own business, this is getting absurd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit